E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M-Sport suspension or non-sport+DD on bad roads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='361056' date='Nov 27 2006, 03:35 PM
And sills? And no pointeless M badges or gear lever...
As far as I know the US M-Aerodynamic kit consists only of
(i) front bumper
(ii) side trim (side skirts)
(iii) rear bumper
Comes unpainted in a PDC and non-PDC version.

It doesn't include the other goodies (M-sills, steering wheel, foot-rest, alu-cube, anthracite head lining, m-style suspension, 18"wheels) etc.

Perhaps, a US reader can confirm that the M-Aero kit includes only the bumpers and side-skirts
Old 11-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361061' date='Nov 27 2006, 07:48 PM
As far as I know the US M-Aerodynamic kit consists only of
(i) front bumper
(ii) side trim (side skirts)
(iii) rear bumper
Comes unpainted in a PDC and non-PDC version.

It doesn't include the other goodies (M-sills, steering wheel, foot-rest, alu-cube, anthracite head lining, m-style suspension, 18"wheels) etc.

Perhaps, a US reader can confirm that the M-Aero kit includes only the bumpers and side-skirts
M suspension differs from the sport suspension. At the moment of purchase dealer told me that it's the most hardcore of them all and that DD is not availalbe with M sport because you don't need that. One has to choose if he wants DD + sport or normal suspension and get the compromise between sportiness and confort OR go M tech and that would move the notch way further to sportiness and feel (feedback). So the ride is stiffer than in sport suspenion, probably the car sits lower dunno for sure, for sure it sits lower than normal and also it's a fact that M sport suspension has thicker anti roll bars than sport suspension.

Now back to the topic, i think overall we might have the worst roads here, but that didn't stop me from getting the M sport. One thing though, if you are not the type that will calmly slow down at nasty bumps or potholes then you might be off without it. A friend of mine even said to me: i dunno how you have the patience to slow down at every bump or road imperfection. And of course i don't take the car to do agriculture with it or climb mountains . So in conclusion if you're carefull enough with the car to protect your suspension+tires &rims then go with M tech. The ride WILL be stiffer and when driving over "belgian macadam" the car will bounce a bit but when on good roads you will be rewarded. I for one have already all 4 rims bent a lil, and it seems periodical repairs to the rims are a must on those poor roads, bet hey if i have the courage to work on the suspension even more and go 20" then you should be fine with the ideea
Old 11-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Members

I live in Basque Country, North of Spain. Moist and rainy roads and many sinuose mountain roads...

I have got standard suspension with DD and no RFL tyres. Although DD works fine I miss some more firm suspension.

This is why i have decided to mount 4 Bilstein shock absorvers with no lowering the springs. (A Touring has an hydraulic automatic levering system on the rear suspension)

regrds
Old 11-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

My bad

ABC
Old 11-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by inmediate' post='361075' date='Nov 27 2006, 04:36 PM
I have got standard suspension with DD and no RFL tyres. Although DD works fine I miss some more firm suspension.
I thought the DD would toughen up the car in corners but it sounds like it doesn't really firm up the suspension in the twisties (which kind of makes sense as it is really just controlling roll unlike the new 'Adaptive Drive' in the E70 X5 which also has electronic damping control). By the way, did you ever have RFT on your car or did you put regular tyres from the beginning?

And the important question, if you had your chance back again would you consider M-Sport or would you stick to your current setup.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361091' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:04 PM
I thought the DD would toughen up the car in corners but it sounds like it doesn't do this enough (which kind of makes sense as it is really just controlling roll). By the way, did you ever have RFT on your car or did you put regular tyres from the beginning?

And the important question, if you had your chance back again would you consider M-Sport or would you stick to your current setup.

Thanks for your help!
It is my pleasure, Raighne!

I never had the RFTs but I am very happy about it. At least in Spain everybody is changing to no RFTs. Because of noise , deterioration and vibrations...

If I could reverse the time I would go for the Sports suspension with DD. Some colleagues have changed to the Sportive one and they areso happy now.

A slight price difference of 500 Euros (?300 St. Pounds?) makes the drive much better.

As you say DD minimizes rolling, but not the up/down movement of the "comfortable" std suspension.

Kind regards
Old 11-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by inmediate' post='361093' date='Nov 27 2006, 05:13 PM
I never had the RFTs but I am very happy about it. At least in Spain everybody is changing to no RFTs. Because of noise , deterioration and vibrations...

A slight price difference of 500 Euros (?300 St. Pounds?) makes the drive much better.
People are changing from RFT tyres here too.
One additional reason for that is that they are hard to find and they can be very expensive. Also, most tyre shops won't even fit them.

I have heard the latest versions of the RFTs are much better for noise, comfort and wear but I have yet to see any data on that.

By the way, we use Euros in Ireland and the sport suspension is €520. However, as DD is already expensive (€3300) then if I were to add the sports suspension I would be tempted to just get the M-Sport which looks very nice as well.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361115' date='Nov 27 2006, 05:55 PM
I have heard the latest versions of the RFTs are much better for noise, comfort and wear but I have yet to see any data on that
Low profile RFTs tend to create more of an issue.

ABC
Old 11-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361115' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:55 PM
People are changing from RFT tyres here too.
One additional reason for that is that they are hard to find and they can be very expensive. Also, most tyre shops won't even fit them.

I have heard the latest versions of the RFTs are much better for noise, comfort and wear but I have yet to see any data on that.

By the way, we use Euros in Ireland and the sport suspension is ?520. However, as DD is already expensive (?3300) then if I were to add the sports suspension I would be tempted to just get the M-Sport which looks very nice as well.
Sorry for the mistaking.

Yes you might choose the M suspension instead. From my mates at the most popular BMW Forum in Spain, I get that those who have chosen this option are very happy with it.

I quess that option is better than DD+Sport.

Of course, the DD+ Std choice is not enough for the car performance. (My particular point of view)

Cheers
Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport

I've been lurking for a while, but got myself an M-Sport 530d with RFT last week so here's my first post and experience so far.

I too was worried about ride quality, but really wanted an M-Sport. I have to say I'm impressed with the combination of ride and handling. My last car was an E46 330cd and that was a real bone jarring experience, coupled with tramlining it really felt unsafe on bumpy B-roads at speed. Compared to that my E60 is a dream.
On the same roads the car feels composed, it doesn't hunt around or feel hesitant and I don't feel knackered at the end of the drive each day.

The ride is firm but the missus gives it a thumbs up, she hated the E46. On the flip-side, I'm sure the ride will seem firmer once I haven't got the E46 experience to hand - I'd personally always take a test drive if possible, on familiar roads, no point in spending money and driving something that will potentially do your head in everytime you get in.

I drive a mix of B-road, A road and motorway each day, so I'm not constantly being thrown around, I remember driving in Ireland a few years ago and I know what you mean about the roads. You really need to see if sustained B road driving puts you off as everybody's experience is different.

For me there was nothing on the market that had the performance, economy, tax efficiency, looks and driveability like the E60. I'm happy as Larry. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: M-Sport suspension or non-sport+DD on bad roads?