E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M-Sport Steering wheel in US?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I've been wondering why this is for some time, so here's my question...

On my old, 2003 E39 530i Sport, I had the M Sport, 3 spoke steering wheel that was in all black and had the M logo. How come the European models on the E60 get the new version of this steering wheel, but here in the US, we get a 3 spoke sport steering wheel with no M badge and aluminium on the sides of the center portion of the wheel instead of all black?

Just odd that we had this wheel in the US on the E39, but not for the E60. Anyone know why?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='419098' date='Apr 29 2007, 04:50 PM
I've been wondering why this is for some time, so here's my question...

On my old, 2003 E39 530i Sport, I had the M Sport, 3 spoke steering wheel that was in all black and had the M logo. How come the European models on the E60 get the new version of this steering wheel, but here in the US, we get a 3 spoke sport steering wheel with no M badge and aluminium on the sides of the center portion of the wheel instead of all black?

Just odd that we had this wheel in the US on the E39, but not for the E60. Anyone know why?

Because there is a difference there (among others) between "sport" and "///M sport" equipment.
You need #4 and #11 parts here, it's around $50 mod I think and then youre "in"
Old 04-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

because BMW NA doesn't want the M brand dilluted.
it took them this long to offer the m kit, m suspension, m172 rims, etc on the 550i sport. they only offer some m parts on non-m cars to keep sales strong for the facelift. e39 m sport and e46 m sport models didn't come out till near the end of those life cycles. maybe they're getting even stingier with m parts.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='419210' date='Apr 29 2007, 06:38 PM
because BMW NA doesn't want the M brand dilluted.
it took them this long to offer the m kit, m suspension, m172 rims, etc on the 550i sport. they only offer some m parts on non-m cars to keep sales strong for the facelift. e39 m sport and e46 m sport models didn't come out till near the end of those life cycles. maybe they're getting even stingier with m parts.
All true, but it's funny how they make the decisions. The US E39 had the M steering wheel and shifter from its second model year, but, as you said, the full M aero kit was not available until near the end of its life. With the US E60, we had the aero kit from near the beginning of its life cycle, and at mid-life we're given M 172 rims, but still no steering wheel, or shifter for that matter.

It doesn't matter all that much to me, but it is curious nevertheless.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='419213' date='Apr 29 2007, 06:50 PM
All true, but it's funny how they make the decisions. The US E39 had the M steering wheel and shifter from its second model year, but, as you said, the full M aero kit was not available until near the end of its life. With the US E60, we had the aero kit from near the beginning of its life cycle, and at mid-life we're given M 172 rims, but still no steering wheel, or shifter for that matter.

It doesn't matter all that much to me, but it is curious nevertheless.
i think the only reason why we got the m kit, m suspension, and 172's is make sure sales of the 550 isn't cannibalized by the 535. the 535 is almost as fast stock, and faster with a $1200 vishnu mod, so bmw na gave us just enough m parts to spice up the exterior/handling of the 550 to make sure its still perceived as the flagship. i guess they figured the m logo on the steering wheel and shifter were so minor that they'd get away with omitting them.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Yeah, it's dumb. I just want the M steering wheel in all black like the European models have them. I hate the aluminum trim on the sides of the spokes.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Hey jet190rs are you certain that the LCI 550 has m suspension, or is it simply in-house BMW sport suspension that is "recalibrated" for the 19 inch wheels and non-runflats.

I have been on this issue like a hawk. I looked into importing a car from Canada just to have a 550 M-sport because of the suspension. That went nowhere. I bought my 550 in October 06' and have been dissapointed with the suspension. Then I saw the very early offical press release from BMW about the 08' refresh (no longer on the web) and it mentioned specifically M tuned suspension. I was delighted. Now the description simply says recalibrated sports suspension. If M division and not BMW did tune the new suspension for the 550, don't you think they would be advertising that?

- for the record, I think BMW was off the mark with the 545/550 sport package. They thought they could deliver a sporty ride with great comfort. Problem is, it was not sporty enough for many buyers for whom the sport package is not an option..but rather a prerequisite (like myself). This is likely why all the M stuff was left off the car and in its place they installed satin chrome. Because, the 545/550 was never a hard core product worthy of an M badge. My old 740i sport had an M badged steering wheel and M badged wheels becasue the suspension was M-technik and the driveline was also modified by M. No such luck with the U.S. 545/550s through 07'. I am dying to drive the 08' sport but my dealer doesn't even have one on order. I am convinced the reluctance of BMW to offer a truly sharp handling 5 over the last few years stemmed from a desire to boost M5 sales. Now that the M5 isn't all over the magazine covers anymore, BMW can juice up the handling on the 550, which, unlike the M5 is a low end torque monster that is offered with a great automatic and gets 20+ mpg on the highway.

DRP
Old 04-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='419498' date='Apr 30 2007, 03:00 PM
Hey jet190rs are you certain that the LCI 550 has m suspension, or is it simply in-house BMW sport suspension that is "recalibrated" for the 19 inch wheels and non-runflats.

I have been on this issue like a hawk. I looked into importing a car from Canada just to have a 550 M-sport because of the suspension. That went nowhere. I bought my 550 in October 06' and have been dissapointed with the suspension. Then I saw the very early offical press release from BMW about the 08' refresh (no longer on the web) and it mentioned specifically M tuned suspension. I was delighted. Now the description simply says recalibrated sports suspension. If M division and not BMW did tune the new suspension for the 550, don't you think they would be advertising that?

- for the record, I think BMW was off the mark with the 545/550 sport package. They thought they could deliver a sporty ride with great comfort. Problem is, it was not sporty enough for many buyers for whom the sport package is not an option..but rather a prerequisite (like myself). This is likely why all the M stuff was left off the car and in its place they installed satin chrome. Because, the 545/550 was never a hard core product worthy of an M badge. My old 740i sport had an M badged steering wheel and M badged wheels becasue the suspension was M-technik and the driveline was also modified by M. No such luck with the U.S. 545/550s through 07'. I am dying to drive the 08' sport but my dealer doesn't even have one on order. I am convinced the reluctance of BMW to offer a truly sharp handling 5 over the last few years stemmed from a desire to boost M5 sales. Now that the M5 isn't all over the magazine covers anymore, BMW can juice up the handling on the 550, which, unlike the M5 is a low end torque monster that is offered with a great automatic and gets 20+ mpg on the highway.

DRP

The US LCI 550 Sport does not come with run-flats.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='419498' date='Apr 30 2007, 04:00 PM
I have been on this issue like a hawk. I looked into importing a car from Canada just to have a 550 M-sport because of the suspension. That went nowhere. I bought my 550 in October 06' and have been dissapointed with the suspension.
I've been trying to get my head around this for some time . . . namely, what is the difference between the "M-sport" package that is offered in some/all non-US markets and the "sport" package offered in the US? Also, did/does BMW offer both the "M-sport" package and the "sport" package in some markets? Any help that you can provide is appreciated.

btw, I'm in total agreement on the pre-LCI US sport package. It's the main reason why I could never connect with the car. I'm doing an ED on a 550 Sport later this week and have very, very high hopes. I'll let you know.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='419519' date='Apr 30 2007, 04:09 PM
I've been trying to get my head around this for some time . . . namely, what is the difference between the "M-sport" package that is offered in some/all non-US markets and the "sport" package offered in the US? Also, did/does BMW offer both the "M-sport" package and the "sport" package in some markets? Any help that you can provide is appreciated.

btw, I'm in total agreement on the pre-LCI US sport package. It's the main reason why I could never connect with the car. I'm doing an ED on a 550 Sport later this week and have very, very high hopes. I'll let you know.

Your car is going to be beautiful.

Quick Reply: M-Sport Steering wheel in US?