E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"M' Badging

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I don't understand why placing an "M" badge on a non-M car recieves such uniform condemnation from the folks when installing ALL of the other "M" parts recieves such uniform accolations. (Note: I will not place any badges on my car- have taken them all off).

Fairly new to the e60 world, I am thinking there is some characteristic about the "M" ,other than it is a recognized letter in most alphabets, that triggers all of the criticism when used on a non-M car.

The M steering wheel; the M exhausts; the M mirrors; the M hood; the M fenders; the M wheels; the M trim; the M spoiler are just few of the M mods that are put on non M cars that recieve uniform compliments - and send a message to most non-BMW drivers that the car may be an M. Perhaps the reason is that more of the driving public will mistakenly think the car with the M badge is an M than will think the car with the M hood is an M. And perhaps it matters how many members of the driving public mistakenly think that what they see is an M. It is fine with me what the driving public thinks is an M and what they think is not an M.

I could care less what another person does with his car with his own money. I am just striving to learn why the M badge is not treated the same as all of the other M mods. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

Well...in a way BMW opened the Pandora box on this issue, by offering special M-packs that contain a suite of M parts for their series cars. M-packs should in no way be mistaken with the "M cars" as in M3, M5, M6. Those are clearly the best of the BMW motoring. Think of the M badges on a "non-M car" as in S line for audi.

However i understand you. Like you i debadged my car but only with the model badge. The M door sills that came with the Mpack and the little M logo on the steering wheel remained as i think it wouldn't make sense to take them out from an esthetic point of view. I also did not debadge my car (taking of the 535d) just to confuse people. I did it since i don't understand the logic in having a sticker on the back of the car telling others in the back what model it is. It's plain dumb and useless, unless someone may argue on an esthetic point of view, case in which it's their right to do so.

Moreover if i were to get an "M car" as in M3, M5, M6 i would still debadge the car. It would make even more sense...if you catch my drift

The problem is with poser people...the ones that on purpose put wrong badges on their cars, most of them putting badges of the "M cars". I even seen a dumb mofo with an old 7 series with M6 badge on it :dooh: Those people are only posers and i feel pitty for them when they pull up at the stop lights next to the real thing. I wouldn't be able not even to smile looking at the other car/driver.

I myself got thumbsup from M3 and M5 drivers when we signaled each other the thumbs up in traffic. As long as it is done with good taste, any kind of moding works. Even M parts.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

This is definitly going to start a long thread.. i can see it now.. IMO. and its just my opinion.. I think M accessories are fine.. inside or out.. it just means to me that you like some of the parts related to the M series. To ME I believe its not truly an M though unless you are sporting the whole M, meaning the car itself, engine, and parts that come along with it.. stock! That is were to me placing the badge on your car ends.. accessories are fine, but to me its not what the car was "born" as.. ya know?
Its like having a Fiero and putting a Lambo kit on it and calling it a Lambo, but its not..not the engine, frame, original parts. etc.. Just my opinion.. and I dont wanna get chastised for it
Old 11-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Most M modifications provide a better looking car. The M badge doesn't.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

I don't agree with M badge on non M e60, but more so what I don't understand is people that debadge non M's, but would never debadge an M5.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

M mods are one thing, an "M5" badge is something else. Like bruce stated, M mods provide a better looking/more aggressive looking car. When that individual proceeds to slap an "M5" badge, basically he is trying to fool himself and everyone else around. The "M5" badge does nothing to add looks IMO, and definitely does not give you "M5" power. Yes, the "M" mods do not add HP's either, but that is not there purpose. The "M5" badge should be reserved for those that finely engineered and tuned beast.

As Juris stated, it's personal preference to do what you like with your e60, but posting pics of your e60 here also gives members the opportunity to comment on it with their personal perference as well. On any other forum non bmw forum a non M5 e60 with "M5" badges would most likely get applause and positive feedback. e60.net members just know better, or hold ourselves to different standard perhaps

Either way, this should be an interesting thread to watch....
Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

yes us e60 members are some smart and witty mo-fo's
Old 11-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I'll compare it loosely with education. You can take some extra courses to enhance your education, but that doesn't mean you can add that MBA tag to your resume unless you actually earned that degree.

Adding M mods or any other mods to your car is strictly a matter of personal preference, but when you slap an M badge on a car that is not an M, then it is false representation and at the very least that is bogus!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Posers
Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by melimel' post='722593' date='Nov 16 2008, 10:17 AM
yes us e60 members are some smart and witty mo-fo's
Thank you Mel!

Quick Reply: "M' Badging