E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

///M badge or not???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by highway' post='374390' date='Jan 6 2007, 09:33 PM
.... there are 2 types of people who look at your car

1.) those that know the vehicle and can spot a re-badging a mile away.....so you arent impressing them.....

2.) those that DONT know the vehicle and wouldn't know an M5 from any other E60.......so you arent impressing them either

In the end, nothng is accomplished.
ABC
Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by my530i' post='374674' date='Jan 7 2007, 05:56 PM
If one cares about others saying about putting ///M badge on the tail, he/she should marry a wife/husband that please everybody here
I just do whatever my wife and I wants, and I just want to share whatever I've done to my car and share my knowledge here as much as I can
I don't like bashing people and hurt their feeling That's not called either friend or E60 family, but that's called "STUPID"
Please warm and comfort them as much as we can. Whatever he likes to do, encourage him as long as he's not doing stupid thing like updating CIP by himself, etc.
Putting an ///M badge, Hamann, ACS, and Dinan is fine as. Does it mean that the person is Hamann, ACS, and Dinan wannabe?
If some theory that putting some badge on and makes him a wannabe, that might not be the case. For example, If ones has Dinan badge on his trunk, does it mean that his car has to be Dinan purely? How do you define that? What about Hamann, etc.?
I think putting ///M badge on is just make that car looks nice to his eye. To me, it looks nicer than debadged or 550i, etc.
Putting on M-tech kit, M5 mirrors, 166/167 rims would be consider M wannabe. Why "M wannabe"? Because "stuffs from M looks nice". Same with ///M logo which from M and looks nice.

Anyway, all I wants from all E60 member is that providing support and encourgement if one wants to do something for his car, but, please, never bashing. This board an excellent reputation for courteous and gentle, so please keep it that way, and avoid leading this board becoming a second "Roadfly"
a perfect response...
i wholey agree and support the sentiment,it is i believe the e60 philosophy from the inception of the foerum.long may it continue.
personally i added the m symbol to my 535d insignia on my previous car and as yet have not "modded by m badge" on my new 535d msport bodied car ......yet.
maybe ,maybe not,personally i liked the look it seemed to go with all the interior "m" embellishments that came with the "sport " model insignia.
what about the individual look ,its just personalising your ride and pride in your vehicle and yourself ..maybe, who nows. make it your own decision .
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='374572' date='Jan 7 2007, 01:44 PM
Thinking that way you have to remove the M badge on the steering wheel, the M door sills and the M badges on the wheels, because BMW has put them on by mistake Mysteriously, I don't laugh with them
You don't get it....
BMW put them there because it means the car IS a M5, the don't put it at the rear when it is not.
It's like buying a cheap polo and stitching a crock on it, so you can pretend you have a Lacoste shirt, hahahaha.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='375151' date='Jan 8 2007, 06:08 PM
You don't get it....
BMW put them there because it means the car IS a M5, the don't put it at the rear when it is not.
It's like buying a cheap polo and stitching a crock on it, so you can pretend you have a Lacoste shirt, hahahaha.
OK, now I get it. I dont' have any M5 badge on my car!!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by my530i' post='374674' date='Jan 7 2007, 06:56 PM
I think putting ///M badge on is just make that car looks nice to his eye. To me, it looks nicer than debadged or 550i, etc.
Putting on M-tech kit, M5 mirrors, 166/167 rims would be consider M wannabe. Why "M wannabe"? Because "stuffs from M looks nice". Same with ///M logo which from M and looks nice.
Hadn't thought about it in that way. Funny how the infamous "//M" badge typically starts the "wannabe" discussion, but the M5 Mirrors, wheels etc. are simply regarded as tasteful mods. Just goes to show how much the brand and badge means on a car.

To come back to the original question - I am fan of debadging for a cleaner look.

Cheers
Old 01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='375151' date='Jan 9 2007, 12:08 AM
You don't get it....
M dose not mean M5, it mean the car is tune by M-tec, so all BMW can have the M-tec badge, even his desel.
Just like AMG.
eg. putting a M body kit on, means the car is tune by M
Old 01-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='375458' date='Jan 9 2007, 01:41 AM
means the car is tune by M
And has it?

ABC.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='375563' date='Jan 9 2007, 03:06 PM
And has it?

ABC.
well not my as you can see
no m stuff at all
Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

Wow. Just read the entire thread and.....some points. ///M does not mean it is an M-anything (3,5,6,etc) as the number does not follow. So what DOES ///M mean????? Ummm, that you like the M-tech add-ons? Or you really do have an "M-tech" vehicle? Dunno. It could mean that you like the physical ///M badge itself, in which case I would frame it and put it on your desk. Badging on your car should reflect the car itself, should it not? If the original poster would like to debadge what he has and add the ///M, then go for it....as long as there is SOMETHING on/in his vehicle that is no kidding M-tech.

NOW. As for debadging....I like,....actually I don't know what I like. I think for the individual to take off the badge, they could do it for any number of reasons (safety, waxing, etc) and those "in the know" would be able to, with some scrutiny, be able to identify the nomenclature of the mystery vehicle. As for me, I am just getting broken into my car and learing what she likes and does not like. When the honeymoon is over, I may start tweaking and prodding for more personalization.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Members

This is a great thread. Its like the Burt Reynolds Miller Lite comercials with a round table to discuss beer "man laws".

If I get a tattoo with just the M on my ass, does that make me more of a man? I am a type A personality with German blood in my veins.

Right now my ass is "debadged" as I don't have my any tattoos, or my Toby "Oz" marking either marking me as anyones b!itch.

Ok, man law or not:

Im getting my 530 soon. 17 inch stock wheels. not sport, but a manual transmission. I like the euro reflectors which I think we all agree has no pretensions of being ambitious to a higher pedigree, but I like the look of the "M" small trunk lip spoiler. Its the smallest of the 3 I have found anywhere. I think it looks good.

Is it ok to add it or will those in the know look upon me as a poser. Naturally it would look better debadged. My fear is with the stock wheel and I debadge I might be looked upon as just a 525 trying to hide my demunitive soul. Seeing I have no 550 in me with the standard wheels, Might I be seen as a poser?

My gut feeling is I can add the lip enhancer but keep my badges, but not get that clean rear effect that those 550's and M's can have with a clear conscionce. Im not ashamed of having a 530i, and really am ok with not having sport. I hate runflat tires and like the suspension as it is.

Quick Reply: ///M badge or not???