E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

low tire pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got this light and don't know how to make it go away? one would say air up the tire, but the tire is in fact not deflated, so i guess it's just a false alarm that was accidentally triggered. thanks for the help.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

did you actually check your tire pressure with a tire gauge?

doesn't take too much a difference in PSI to make the sensor go off, meaning you might not be able to tell by just looking at the tire that the pressure is low.

but the reset procedure is in your manual...just follow the instructions via iDrive to reset, but before you do, I suggest you check your tires with an actual tire gauge, that way you can measure the PSI's again if you get another tire pressure warning...you might have a slow leak or damaged tire/wheel...
Old 11-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Members

There are plenty of threads addressing this issue, use the search button...

But its possible that the tire IS low. many times rft tires will not appear to be low, which is one of the reasons that the sensors are there (aside from the US requirements). Check it out and air it up. If its NOT low, then as mentioned int he last "help my tire is low on the screen" thread, air them all up, and reset the system in iDrive. You MUST drive to reset the system.

Lastly, perhaps your transmitters are running out of battery life and need replaced...
Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by rkoenig
There are plenty of threads addressing this issue, use the search button
True... but why do people always feel the need to do this??

Tuffluck, are you running runflats? It is possible you got a nail or something in a tire and it hasnt begun to lose pressure... happened to me. Got a screw and when the screw flew out thats when the monitor notified me, yet the tire was still holding pressure.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Members

The mention of the search request is becuase people are generally too lazy to find things out themselves, and we need to keep re-inventing the wheel, which gets lame.... Why have 1000 "My car says my tire is flat, WTF?" threads, when finding the one with the answers initially would have sufficed?

Of course, we could probably find 1000 articles on this subject too...

But we spoon feed those too technically challenged or lazy to figure things out themselves.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by jaycal3
True... but why do people always feel the need to do this??
if you mean, suggest searching...IMO, it's because most likely this topic or something similar to this topic has been discussed, and rather than posting a new thread and waiting/hoping a member will chime in, the OP might be able to find the answer by him/herself much faster by using the search function.....

and I think there's a reason why using the search function is always suggested

for the most part, members here are pretty good about providing some insight/help along with suggesting to use the search function....unlike other forums/websites
Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Got it... i was just curious and thought that sometimes its just easier to answer the freakin question... anyway, good luck to the OP in finding the reason.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Got it... i was just curious and thought that sometimes its just easier to answer the freakin question... anyway, good luck to the OP in finding the reason.
very true, it is just easier to answer the question.....but...

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime"

OP: good luck, keep us posted
Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i got this light and don't know how to make it go away? one would say air up the tire, but the tire is in fact not deflated, so i guess it's just a false alarm that was accidentally triggered. thanks for the help.
Depending on the year of your car (how about updating your profile???) your FTM or TPMS will alert you to a tire pressure differential between tires or in a specific tire. You must use a tire guage to determine the air pressure in the tire. In the old days you could sometimes tell that a tire was getting soft just by looking at it ... but that is extremely difficult for the amateur to judge and low profile tires make it tough for the pro, too!

That's why you've been instructed to use a pressure guage.

I know you're probably very very busy and asking a question here is easier than trying to find the answer in your owner's manual. That said, if you download the owner's manual for your year car [it's right in the info section of this forum!] you can search for answers on line in a New York minute and avoid the wrath of posters who will tell you to RTFM!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

During the winter my TPMS light often comes on. Since the winter just started or is about to start and if you live in a cold climate this is a common occurrence. Just reset it and forget it .

Quick Reply: low tire pressure warning