E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low idle speed-off the line stumble.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

My US 545i Steptronic sometimes idles at 500 RPM after it is thoroughly warmed up, which strikes me as being low. At other times, it idles at 750 RPM.

At 500 RPM, I sometimes get a stumble or hesitation starting out from a complete stop. I can avoid this if I gently ease the throttle to slightly bring up RPM before giving it additional gas, but if I just press the accelerator normally, the hesitation occurs.

Comments on 500 RPM warm idle (too low)?

Anyone else have this experience, and, if so, have you had it corrected?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have noticed this. I was able to determine if the AC compressor is running the idle will increase to ~750. Now that Seattle is getting cooler the compressor is not running and it idles at ~500 regularly. I guess we just have to drive like an "old man" till the car is rolling, then we can mash the accelerator.

Do you notice the hesitation in D and DS?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Members

I'd recommend taking to your prospective dealers
Old 09-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Mine seems more like you have to push the pedal down a little before anything happens. I don't know if I would call it hesitation or not? More like play in the pedal Just another one of those things I have been learning to deal with like the breaks grabbing at the end of the stop. Guess the fine motor skills in my feet aren't as fine as BMW thinks they should be
Old 09-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

Originally Posted by noonehome' date='Sep 15 2004, 12:30 PM
I too have noticed this. I was able to determine if the AC compressor is running the idle will increase to ~750. Now that Seattle is getting cooler the compressor is not running and it idles at ~500 regularly. I guess we just have to drive like an "old man" till the car is rolling, then we can mash the accelerator.

Do you notice the hesitation in D and DS?
The AC does not seem to affect the RPM significantly on my car, and does not appear to be part of the issue.

The issue exists in both normal and sport modes (D, DS).

What warm idle speed(s) are you experiencing?
Old 09-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim C' date='Sep 15 2004, 01:55 PM
The AC does not seem to affect the RPM significantly on my car, and does not appear to be part of the issue.

The issue exists in both normal and sport modes (D, DS).

What warm idle speed(s) are you experiencing?
Warm idle @ 500 with no AC... @750 with AC on.

It doesn't bother me after I figured out to go light on the accelerator. Or I've gotten use to it... I wonder also if it could workit'sself out over time with the transmision learning our habits. I've only got about 4200 miles so far and only 1200 are from here at home in the city. Most milage came from Autobahn
Old 09-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Sep 15 2004, 12:56 PM
Mine seems more like you have to push the pedal down a little before anything happens. I don't know if I would call it hesitation or not? More like play in the pedal Just another one of those things I have been learning to deal with like the breaks grabbing at the end of the stop. Guess the fine motor skills in my feet aren't as fine as BMW thinks they should be
And I thought I was the only one with these problems......
Old 09-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

we have discussed something similar here. however, when i changed to ds mode, it's much better. i talked to my service advisor about this and needless to say, "no faults found" was what came out from the tech's mouth .
Old 09-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Sep 16 2004, 12:16 AM
i talked to my service advisor about this and needless to say, "no faults found" was what came out from the tech's mouth .
The last time my tech used this term my response was: "I found one...You!" Since that day he uses other terms to describe basically the same...
Old 09-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Contributors

When I start my car in the morning and put it on drive, my traanny always has a bit of a jerk at the begining only if the car is put first on D. But I do put it on R first then a D i dont feel it. Any idea?

But then after that initial jerk, she drivers like a dream.

Quick Reply: Low idle speed-off the line stumble.