E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low coolant.. possible leak somewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:55 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: none
Default Low coolant.. possible leak somewhere?

Hey guys, I've been getting a warning from Idrive about low coolant levels lately on the 550, and I just noticed today some smoke coming out from near the passenger side headlight.. anyone have any ideas what could be going on?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you've been getting warnings, but have you topped off the coolant?
if you see steam, it could be radiator, hose, etc. just have to start looking.
see any leaks on the ground? lift the car and take the splash guard off and look for leak evidence.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Could be that its related to the cold weather. This and the tire low issues always seems to come on when the temp drops. I add just a little water and that seems to take care of it. It doesn't happen every time but I would say 3-4 times in the past five years. If you are having to add water regularly, then you could have a leak somewhere...
Old 11-15-2013, 03:30 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
you've been getting warnings, but have you topped off the coolant?
if you see steam, it could be radiator, hose, etc. just have to start looking.
see any leaks on the ground? lift the car and take the splash guard off and look for leak evidence.
I checked it out and it was within normal limits.. but I topped it off anyway. I didnt see any leaks on the ground.. i will have to check out underneath when I get some time.. either way im going to take it to the shop for them to check out but i was just looking for ideas

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Could be that its related to the cold weather. This and the tire low issues always seems to come on when the temp drops. I add just a little water and that seems to take care of it. It doesn't happen every time but I would say 3-4 times in the past five years. If you are having to add water regularly, then you could have a leak somewhere...
I was thinking maybe it's the weather.. but the smoke kind of worries me.. makes me think maybe there is some leak somewhere.. hopefully it isn't anything too serious.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Not sure what kind of smoke you have, but I get a little in my 535 whenI started it and if I turn it off after a short idle and then restart or leave it idling a while I will see smoke but it's not a lot and it seems to disipate quickly. My F10 is very similar...
Old 11-16-2013, 02:58 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Not sure what kind of smoke you have, but I get a little in my 535 whenI started it and if I turn it off after a short idle and then restart or leave it idling a while I will see smoke but it's not a lot and it seems to disipate quickly. My F10 is very similar...
This is something new that i've noticed.. hasnt been happening before.. today i drove the car and I when i got home the car was smoking from under the front right wheel.. i opened the hood and it looked like smoke was coming from the back of the engine, but i cant really tell because it was dark.. i looked from the bottom and the panels seem to be wet with what looks like oil. don't know what it is
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

does this "smoke" smell?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:29 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
does this "smoke" smell?
Yes there is a smell.. Kind of like a burning smell.. Hard to describe
Old 11-17-2013, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

Sorry, I misread your post and my mind was thinking the smoke was at the rear. I agree, sounds like something loose or leaking. Thats not normal so might be a good idea to get it checked out.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check valve cover gasket for oil leakage, I faced the same issue. In my case, it was leaking from the rear of the engine and oil was dropping on exhaust manifold and burn immediately causing this smoke and smell.

Quick Reply: Low coolant.. possible leak somewhere?