E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low Coolant/Broken Stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Small diameter plastic coolant pipe on top of radiator (You will have to remove the metal plate. This tube gets very brittle with age and will fail)
Pipe looks metal (gray), but I guess it's plastic? No sign of leaks or old leak trails here. Ran the car for 10 mins with plate off and nothing.... Hoses seem newer, so maybe this was previously replaced.

head coolant hoses- near the front of the heads, under the intake manifold. Prone to breakage
Is this visible without taking much apart?

The nasty and dreaded valley pan and coolant transfer pipe - would have required engine removal to replace. Now, an expandable pipe is available. Cut the old one in half, remove, and install new pipe. Tighten as directed. Install new valley pan and gasket...sounds easy? That bastard child of an intake must be removed first.
Good news is the weep hole for this didn't leak anything when I ran the engine nor did it look like coolant had previously trailed down the front of the timing cover.

Search continues. I also tried examining the exhaust for the white color mentioned, but with the cold temps it's a crap shoot. I think my breath was whiter than the exhaust, ha. Still thinking I'm going to take it to the indy next week.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Update:

1) Replaced my coolant expansion tank yesterday and haven't seen any loss of coolant yet. I noticed that the cap seals much better on the new tank than the old one (same cap). Probably doesn't mean anything.

2) When my lady was driving behind me today after getting her car serviced, she noticed liquid dripping out of my tailpipe several times. I understand this can be water from normal engine operation or it could be related to a blown head gasket. I'm planning on testing the exhaust to see if coolant is detected in it.

Last edited by westsidebalto; 02-24-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: clarified that it was my car with tail drips
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

My stick has been broken for 4 years now. But when it did break I was able to see and pulled it out. I don't need a long stick to tell me how full my expansion tank is.
My coolant temp sensor o-ring was leaking coolant for the past 4 months and I just got around to fixing it last week. pretty simple fix, takes about 10 min if ur hands are big like mine. $30 part.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
My coolant temp sensor o-ring was leaking coolant for the past 4 months and I just got around to fixing it last week. pretty simple fix, takes about 10 min if ur hands are big like mine. $30 part.
Where's the sensor? I assume it's not the same as the coolant level sensor at the bottom of the expansion tank.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
Where's the sensor? I assume it's not the same as the coolant level sensor at the bottom of the expansion tank.
Coolant temp sensor is located on the radiator lower hose (near the radiator).
Old 05-01-2014, 04:34 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i

HI guys, where did you purchase the o-ring from???
Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mwaku
HI guys, where did you purchase the o-ring from???
I don't think you can. You'd have to just buy a new sensor. It's an easy fix, you just have to drain your coolant or deal with the mess if you quickly change it (not advised).
Old 05-01-2014, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i

Sensor was only $20 from an online vendor. I did not have to drain the coolant completely. I was replacing the coolant reservoir and the vent pipe, so I had already had emptied the overflow reservoir. The key is to let the car cool. Mine was parked for a few days. When I removed the sensor, only a few drops came out. You need to be quick when swapping the sensor.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

very little coolant comes out if you dont drain the radiator. just open the cap to relieve pressure first.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Can someone post up what the sensor looks like? Perhaps the one that came out of your car?

Quick Reply: Low Coolant/Broken Stick