E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low battery signal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by gpt' post='265987' date='Apr 7 2006, 06:11 PM
Anyone have this happen? When I sit with the car off and key in position 1 for less than 5 minutes just listening to the radio, the low battery signal comes on. I don't want to risk draining the battery completely so I start the car. Could this be some type of sensor malfunction or possibly the battery isn't holding a good charge? Thanks
I was told it was an early warning signal that power was being used and not replaced however I have never let it persist so I don't know if the battery will go flat
Old 04-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='266276' date='Apr 8 2006, 01:45 AM
I have the stock headunit, it's not drawing anything. And even if it were, I've had the stereo for a lot longer than I've had this problem, the problem just started. So my stereo could be drawing slightly, but not enough to kill the battery if its only sitting for 3 hours. I used to be able to let my car sit for weeks, even with the stereo, and there was no problem. It's just really weird, maybe I just destoyed the battery somehow, I don't know how, but it just doesn't seem like it's holding a charge. We'll see what the dealer says I guess.
Try this, disconnect power from your amp for a couple of days and see if problem still persists. If it does, it's got to be the amp, but I doubt it.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got my car back today, and it was my battery like I said, the whole thing was shot, and it was actually leaking acid. I asked to see it and the entire bottom of the battery had turned yellow. Really messed up, so they replaced it and when I picked it up the car started fine. Although I'm still kinda pissed off at BMW to be honest. Right when I first starting having battery problems I got an SOS System Malfunction, I asked if they could fix this too and then they just fed me line after line on why they couldn't.

They're reasons:

1.) Since you have the AUX Input, one of the following: NAV, DVD, CD, or SOS/Tele, need to be disabled in order for it to work, so wherever you had the AUX installed they disable your SOS/Tele function.

2.) Because of your aftermarket stereo we can't test the SOS/Tele module to see if it's operating properly.

3.) We can't do anything else to your car.

My responses:

1.) I had BMW of Seattle install the AUX Input and everything worked fine for a week, it wasn't until I got in to Michigan that this problem and the battery problem occured.

2.) The aftermarket stereo was installed over 9 months ago, it's wired almost exactly the same as the stock stereo, and I just started having the problems this last week.

3.) Well, thanks for the battery, I guess I'll take it to another dealer.

Now I know there are a lot of electrical systems in this car, and I know they're all wired together, but seriously, how does everything work fine for 9 months and then magically go retarded? Or even still, to give BMW a fighting chance in this arguement. If I had BMW install the AUX Input and they upgraded my CIP to version 20.02, how does everything run fine for an entire week before it magically goes retarded? I'm sorry, but if there trully is an electrical problem caused by my stereo it would pose a problem the instant something else electrical is changed, not months, not even weeks later. I would know within the hour. Just like when BMW of Seattle F***ed up my AUX Input install and accidentally ran a pin to the wrong spot, this caused everything involved with iDrive to go completely retarded. The screen would turn on and off whenever it wanted, there would be no sound randomly, nothing worked. Once they put the pin in the right place, everything worked fine. I don't know what to do here, I'm just gunna keep trying I guess.