E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Loud Squeeking in Reverse Only, Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

A lot of times when I when I release the parking brake and reverse out I get a really loud squeal from my rear passenger's brakes. Its sounds almost like the parking brake is not completely disengaging. I have researched all over various forums using Google looking for this problem. The main issue I have found is regarding the brake sensor can come in contact causing the noise... <Not sure if that is wheat is happening here.

Has anyone here experienced this problem?

My brakes are otherwise quiet when normal driving.

This only happens in reverse, but that is pretty much every time I get in the car to leave somewhere.

I don't need to do a rear brake job at this time, so can I just remove the brakes and spray or apply some grease somewhere? I know the parking brake is a drum system, should I focus on that?

Thanks for any info/advice.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:33 AM
Members

My Ride: '86 Daytona Violet E30 2.7L B3 Alpina Spec... '04 Sapphire Black E60 530i...full body kit on 20" Vertini Hennessey staggered ...on the lookout for E39 M5 or one day afford an E60 Big Daddy.

Could be when your brakes are cold and then ok whilst driving after heating up. Mine does this after a wash or early mornings...but not always

Very strange in reverse only. Try releasing the park brake before selecting the reverse gear.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

There is no brake sensor.

Does this primarily happen after the car sits for a while like over night? BMW brakes have high iron content (good thing) and will rust easy. This is just a minute amount and nothing to worry about.

Have the right rear parking brake inspected and loosened a little, it should go away. If it does not it, it is really not a big deal if everything else checks out.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
There is no brake sensor.

Does this primarily happen after the car sits for a while like over night? BMW brakes have high iron content (good thing) and will rust easy. This is just a minute amount and nothing to worry about.

Have the right rear parking brake inspected and loosened a little, it should go away. If it does not it, it is really not a big deal if everything else checks out.

+1

Wouldn't worry about it. My fronts do it first thing in the morning. Worse in the wet winter. Warm weather usually keeps them quiet.