E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Loud cabin noise in a 525d

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just come back from taking a 525d for a test drive and noticed that the noise within the cabin was a lot louder than I've experienced when taking other e60s for a test drive (530d and 535d). I noticed it immediately and was very unimpressed. I then compared the car's noise to a 530d at the dealer and could immediately notice the difference (All these cars were all LCI). I then thought that may be it is something specific to a 525d but they didn't have another LCI 525d so I compared it to a pre-LCI 525d and again there was a massive difference.

Anyway, I couldn't notice any difference in noise outside the car so could it be something to do with cabin sound insulation? The car is only 7 months old with 7k on the mileage clock. I'm still interested in buying the car so the garage is going to take it in for an inspection to see if anything comes up. I've yet to decide whether I want to take it or not.

Any ideas, suggestions, or comments in the mean time as to why this may be happening?
Old 05-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

I drive a 530d. It's a little noisier than the 530i, but to be expected. BMW recently lent me a 320d, which was louder inside, probably due to being 4 cylinder. The 525d is 6 cylinder. It shouldn't be any louder than the 530d, in my opinion.

If you're thinking of buying, go with your gut. Something is telling you that the 525d you tested isn't quite right ... walk away from it. You'll find another car!!! Promise!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by virgil' post='888704' date='May 25 2009, 01:12 AM
I drive a 530d. It's a little noisier than the 530i, but to be expected. BMW recently lent me a 320d, which was louder inside, probably due to being 4 cylinder. The 525d is 6 cylinder. It shouldn't be any louder than the 530d, in my opinion.

If you're thinking of buying, go with your gut. Something is telling you that the 525d you tested isn't quite right ... walk away from it. You'll find another car!!! Promise!!!
Thanks for the advice. The fact that it sounds so much louder than:
  1. A pre-LCI 525d they had on their forecourt
  2. An LCI 530d they had on their forecourt
  3. A couple of 530d that I've test driven
  4. A number of 535d's that I've test driven

does really concern me. I'm hoping it's down to insulation problems but if it is engine problems then I may just walk away. They're currently looking into the problem which may resolve it. I'm sure something else will come up if I do walk away. Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

I have a pre LCI 525d and i would say mine was relatively quiet, the car you describe doesnt sound right. If there are issues with the car dont buy it, they are expensive enough to run without having to have it repaired. I assume that you checked to see if the engine cover was fitted with the bolts tightened up, you'll be surprised how much that brings the noise down.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='889630' date='May 25 2009, 08:22 PM
I have a pre LCI 525d and i would say mine was relatively quiet, the car you describe doesnt sound right. If there are issues with the car dont buy it, they are expensive enough to run without having to have it repaired. I assume that you checked to see if the engine cover was fitted with the bolts tightened up, you'll be surprised how much that brings the noise down.
Thanks for the advice, I had a quick look under the bonnet and the engine cover was on but didn't check any bolts so I'm not sure if they were tightened. The dealer is aware that I would only be buying the car if it gets fixed. Thus the dealer probably has more incentive to fix it now rather than as a warranty repair. I'm sure that anything simple like tightening bolts will be checked immediately. Anyway, will see what happens when they say it's been "fixed".
Old 05-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Members

Walk away from it Techno !!!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by virgil' post='890888' date='May 26 2009, 11:46 PM
Walk away from it Techno !!!
I know, my mind is saying I should walk away but it is such a high spec car (As mentioned here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=77691). It would be a shame to walk away from it if it is down to something simple like sound insulation or bolts not being tightened. On the other hand, I am wondering why such a high spec car is being sold only 7 months from new. It was owned by one previous owner via a liaising company. Part of the reason why I can't walk away so easily is that high spec cars like this are had to come by and feel that another one won't come by for ages. There's not many cars that have Dynamic Drive let alone with the other options I'm looking for

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Members

You know that "fishy" smell? It's usually fish !!!

Based on what you've just said below I'd do two things:

1. I'd contact the previous owner using info from the log book, if you can. Just ask them outright if the car has been wacked.

2. Take it for another spin. This time call into a reputable smash repairer and PAY them to check it over for an hour. Make an appointment a day or two in advance - with the repairer - so that he really has the time to go over the car.

Remember Techno, if it looks like a fish, if it smells like a fish ... it is usually a fish!

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='891427' date='May 27 2009, 06:28 PM
I know, my mind is saying I should walk away but it is such a high spec car (As mentioned here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=77691). It would be a shame to walk away from it if it is down to something simple like sound insulation or bolts not being tightened. On the other hand, I am wondering why such a high spec car is being sold only 7 months from new. It was owned by one previous owner via a liaising company. Part of the reason why I can't walk away so easily is that high spec cars like this are had to come by and feel that another one won't come by for ages. There's not many cars that have Dynamic Drive let alone with the other options I'm looking for

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by virgil' post='892163' date='May 28 2009, 12:21 AM
You know that "fishy" smell? It's usually fish !!!

Based on what you've just said below I'd do two things:

1. I'd contact the previous owner using info from the log book, if you can. Just ask them outright if the car has been wacked.

2. Take it for another spin. This time call into a reputable smash repairer and PAY them to check it over for an hour. Make an appointment a day or two in advance - with the repairer - so that he really has the time to go over the car.

Remember Techno, if it looks like a fish, if it smells like a fish ... it is usually a fish!
I know what you're saying but the car is a BMW Approved Used Car and they carry out a number of checks. On top of that, I will be getting a full independent vehicle check done by RAC. They have a very comprehensive check for Essentials Plus: http://www.rac.co.uk/vehicle-checks/vehicl...n/checklist.htm. It might cost ~?200 but at least it will give me piece of mind and hopefully avoid any surprises after I buy.

If it still looks and smells like fish after the independent check then I will be walking away from the fish

If that happens, then at least the bright side is that I may end up getting a 535d after all
Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

Just heard back from the BMW dealer and they said it was down to a loose grommet which was not sealing the sound insulation in the cabin. I can't see how a grommet prevent so much sound coming into the cabin but does it seem plausible to anyone?

Quick Reply: Loud cabin noise in a 525d