E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost in Navigation - please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' 530xi ~ Metallic Grey ~ Cold Weather Pkg ~ Premium Pkg ~ iPod Hookup

Hi everyone,

First like to point out that this is my first posting/BMW so please excuse me if I sound like a complete newbie. I actually just purchased a used 2006 530XI in great condition from someone who had the extended warranty so it has been regularly maintained through BMW.

My question has to do with the iDrive system and the navigation in particular. I cannot count how many forums I have looked at trying to figure out the best way to update my software version and I seem to be running in circles. First off, I do not see any indication of what software version my car is using so I am not sure if I am just missing it somewhere. Right now, pressing the menu button brings up a screen with color display of 5 options which I can select (right for navigation, middle for info, etc) and it then goes into a display that is split with one bigger than the other. Does this help identify which version I'm running? That being said, I did burn a CD-R with v32 (supposedly the latest firmware) and inserted it into the DVD unit...nothing happened. I also burned a copy of 2011 professional map - EAST on a DVD-R and also had no luck with that (kept saying to insert navigation disc). If someone could please clarify what I need to do to determine how to upgrade software and get the latest maps, I would really appreciate it. Thanks! =)
Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

I am far from an expert in these matters but the "system" software and the nav software are two different things. The nav database can be updated by purchasing a more recent version on DVD and inserting it in the DVD slot - almost certainly from BMW only, as I bet they make sure only their own disks work (even if Navteq actually provides the data). Cost=>$200 if I recall correctly (haven't done it on my '06 owned since new). The system software almost certainly can only be updated by a BMW dealer, or maybe certain certified independent repair shops. If it is still in that extended warranty, and if it needs it, take it to the dealer.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

Easiest way to determine your software is to look at the radio screen. If it is brown it's old and if it's silver/grey it's newer. As for the nav DVD, burned copies will work, but not very well at all. There is only one type of media that will work (forget if it's -r or +r). I have bought a few burned copies from eBay and for the most part, they don't work so well and usually result in the system simply saying "insert DVD" as you stated. Software updates for your car can be DIY, but there is slot more to it than just putting in a DVD and it is not for the faint of heart. The dealer will do it as stated above but usually say that YOU are responsible for any modules that may fail during updating. If your screen is silver when on the radio, leave it alone as it's as new as you need. If your unsure, post some pics of your screens.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 06' 530xi ~ Metallic Grey ~ Cold Weather Pkg ~ Premium Pkg ~ iPod Hookup

Thanks for the replies!

They definitely helped a lot. Based on this information I believe I do have a newer version however I am not sure if this is version32 (I have read that you need this version to use 2010-2011 maps). I've included some pics and hopefully it can clarify this. I tried using a map burned to a dvd-r so I guess I should try it with a dvd+r now to see if that works. Does anyone know if a dual-layer disc can be used so that both east and west maps can be burned on one disc? Right now I am only burning the east (professional) map onto the disc.

Also, this is sort of on a different topic but the ipod integration that was done by the previous owner is designed to replace the cd changer mode. The problem with this is that I cannot figure how to shuffle songs or look through music by artist, album, genre, etc...only by playlist. Is there a way to get these options? I am using a classic ipod video (30gb).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Lost in Navigation - please help-img_6846.jpg   Lost in Navigation - please help-img_6849.jpg   Lost in Navigation - please help-img_6851.jpg   Lost in Navigation - please help-img_6853.jpg   Lost in Navigation - please help-img_6847.jpg  

Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Members

Sorry, forgot one more picture...it is the nav disc that came with the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Lost in Navigation - please help-img_6852.jpg  
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

You have the newer of the iDrive software by the looks of your home screen, exactly what version, your dealer would be the best source to figure it out. At one point there was a list of the the software revisions over the years somewhere that noted what the changes were, but they are nothing earth shattering. As also mentioned some dealers are hesitant to upgrade the software packages of these cars for fear of possibly blowing out certain modules, so iDrive software wise you should be fine.

As for your Nav disc, you should definitely updgrade it from the 2005 version you have. You wont see any kind of major graphics enhancements, however you will see plenty updated roads, points of interest, categories, etc. Go buy a new disc or download a good copy if you go that route. I havent had any issues with my discs over the years, do some research on e90post.com and I am sure you'll find what you are looking for with the disc update!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

The V32 you are talking about was the highest software for the HIGH MKIV systems, yours is professional and i think the newest is like V41 or something. I've never heard of needing newer iDrive software to use the newer DVD, when I put the 2011 in the system said it needed to update itself and it would take 5 minutes. Maybe the burned copy you have does not include the update?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Members

Oh I see, yes I was very confused by that term, "MKIV". Thought it was synonymous with iDrive. Thanks for the clarification. I actually burned the 2011 east maps ISO to a double-layer dvd+r and it worked

So I guess I do have the latest software whichever that may be. I think I will check with the dealer to see if there are any newer versions that can be installed. The maps seem to be working fine however it does freeze up at times. The one thing thats frustrating me now is how I can search for POI's rather than going through the categories. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

I've had trouble in 2 different cars using burned map DVDs. Freezing and sometimes not wanting to load. My problems were always worse when it was cold out. Do some research on idrive software, it's probably not worth the money to have it upgraded as there are certain risks to doing it. There is a "secret" idrive menu that will show you your version. Search to verify, but if I remember right, from the main menu..... Press the controller down (towards the ground, not towards the rear of the car) for 15 seconds, release and turn it to the right 3 clicks, left 3 clicks, right 1, left 1, right 1, and press down again.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Members

Wow, very cool! Yeah it worked but I'm not sure of what it all means haha. There's a good forum that lists information about these codes but mine appear to be different then what it was talking about. It mentioned an option called "Versionkontrolle" which mine did not have. I did however find a menu option called "Hidden SIPs" which may correspond to software versions but I'm not sure. There was a whole bunch of other menus in the secret menu which I could not figure out what it all meant. Thanks though!

Quick Reply: Lost in Navigation - please help