E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Loss of engine power

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by JayEll' date='Apr 2 2005, 04:49 AM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Apr 1 2005, 08:48 PM'][quote name='JayEll' date='Apr 1 2005, 09:26 AM']Had a scare y'day.
While driving on an B road at a resonable speed, I suddenly had a total loss of power situation. iDrive flashed a warning "Engine malfunction, please use moderate speed and come to a stop".
Obviously I did this immediately and went through the iDrive system to find a diagnostic. All it said is that I should contact my local service centre.
I turned the engine off, then back on again and all was fine. Power resotred and haven't had any trouble since. I've been trying to get hold of my dealer but not got through yet. To me it seems like a software glitch. Anyone else had this scary experience?
[snapback]109815[/snapback]
Did the screen say "IDrive has performed an illegal operation and will shut down"!

I've never experienced a loss of engine power but other strange malfunctions which sort themselves out on restart????
[snapback]109940[/snapback]
[/quote]

no iDrive said nothing like that ..
i've had no other iDrive malfunctions to note
[snapback]110191[/snapback]
[/quote]

JayEll

Got the look of yours now, colour, m tech just need the god dam big wheels.
Hows the ride on 19"? You still got run flats?

Merv
Old 04-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 2 2005, 09:02 PM
[quote name='JayEll' date='Apr 2 2005, 04:49 AM'][quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Apr 1 2005, 08:48 PM'][quote name='JayEll' date='Apr 1 2005, 09:26 AM']Had a scare y'day.
While driving on an B road at a resonable speed, I suddenly had a total loss of power situation. iDrive flashed a warning "Engine malfunction, please use moderate speed and come to a stop".
Obviously I did this immediately and went through the iDrive system to find a diagnostic. All it said is that I should contact my local service centre.
I turned the engine off, then back on again and all was fine. Power resotred and haven't had any trouble since. I've been trying to get hold of my dealer but not got through yet. To me it seems like a software glitch. Anyone else had this scary experience?
Did the screen say "IDrive has performed an illegal operation and will shut down"!

I've never experienced a loss of engine power but other strange malfunctions which sort themselves out on restart????
[snapback]109940[/snapback]
[/quote]

no iDrive said nothing like that ..
i've had no other iDrive malfunctions to note
[snapback]110191[/snapback]
[/quote]

JayEll

Got the look of yours now, colour, m tech just need the god dam big wheels.
Hows the ride on 19"? You still got run flats?

Merv
[snapback]110349[/snapback]
[/quote]

yeah mate, silver Grey + M Kit is the one (for me)....
19 sets it off, though i think 20 would look better. but i worry that you'd lose too much ride quality in the UK.
19s seems to be perfect imho. look good enough, ride quality unoticable difference compared to my old 124s.
I think the reason for this is coz i'm not running rft tyres anymore. I put Pirelli PZeros on. Maybe a very very slight extra bounce, but more comfrotable in the bends if youj know what i mean. With Sports suspension set up you'll always get the bouncy ride anyway......

hurry up and get those M 19s... i can't wait to see what they look like on the silver grey, or any e60 for that matter. Seeing as they were the rims I was originally holding out for. But thanks to the lack of response from my dealership, they lost out on the sale (for which I sent him an email and he was pretty gutted !!! )
Old 04-02-2005, 01:27 PM
pppanda

Originally Posted by JayEll' date='Apr 1 2005, 09:26 AM
Had a scare y'day.
I had the same experience 10 days ago with my 520i and I thought it was due to the software update I got two weeks before (version 15.0). I went to my dealer and they told me that it was the "caudalimeter" (I don?t know the technical english word). I?m still waiting for the spare part (they have requested it to Germany) but I haven?t had any trouble since.
What software version do you have?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

I had the same experience with my 545. Just stoped the car, turned the engine off. When I turned on again everthing was fine.

I think that it could be some problem with the gas quality that cause misfired.