E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Loss of engine power

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Had a scare y'day.
While driving on an B road at a resonable speed, I suddenly had a total loss of power situation. iDrive flashed a warning "Engine malfunction, please use moderate speed and come to a stop".
Obviously I did this immediately and went through the iDrive system to find a diagnostic. All it said is that I should contact my local service centre.
I turned the engine off, then back on again and all was fine. Power resotred and haven't had any trouble since. I've been trying to get hold of my dealer but not got through yet. To me it seems like a software glitch. Anyone else had this scary experience?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JayEll' date='Apr 1 2005, 08:26 AM
Had a scare y'day.
While driving on an B road at a resonable speed, I suddenly had a total loss of power situation. iDrive flashed a warning "Engine malfunction, please use moderate speed and come to a stop".
Obviously I did this immediately and went through the iDrive system to find a diagnostic. All it said is that I should contact my local service centre.
I turned the engine off, then back on again and all was fine. Power resotred and haven't had any trouble since. I've been trying to get hold of my dealer but not got through yet. To me it seems like a software glitch. Anyone else had this scary experience?
[snapback]109815[/snapback]
I had a similar experience 10 years ago when I had a MB C220. Engine felt like it was choking badly and despite flooring the gas pedal, the car barely managed to roll forward. When the car is stopped and restarted, the problem would go away temporarily. Turns out 2 of the 4 cyclinders stopped firing and eventually the fuel management computer (or something like that) had to be replaced. But it would only happen under colder temperatures. In the summer, the car was fine.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

I had a similar experience 10 years ago when I had a MB C220. Engine felt like it was choking badly and despite flooring the gas pedal, the car barely managed to roll forward. When the car is stopped and restarted, the problem would go away temporarily. Turns out 2 of the 4 cyclinders stopped firing and eventually the fuel management computer (or something like that) had to be replaced. But it would only happen under colder temperatures. In the summer, the car was fine.
[snapback]109824[/snapback]
[/quote]

crikey... well it's definitely firing on all 8 again. will definitely check it in with my service sentre then.
incidently, the weather wasn't cold for me at all.!!!!

thx for the reply.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Had a fairly similar experience in our 99 528i. It turned out that the butterfly valve was damaged, and needed replacement (done under warranty at BMW Niederlassung, M?nchen). I would definitely make my delaer read the fault memory and look for a diagnose on the car.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, Black Sapphire, Steptronic, Black Int.

Happened to me a few months ago, did the same - turned off, restarted and all was well.
About 2 weeks later the car was recalled for a software update/glitch, and haven't had a problem since.
Best,
Marco
Old 04-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading

the only time I notice loss of power is when the wife is screaming at me to slow down
The following users liked this post:
Richardo (08-07-2023)
Old 04-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by johno535' date='Apr 1 2005, 07:22 PM
the only time I notice loss of power is when the wife is screaming at me to slow down? ?
[snapback]109910[/snapback]

yeah thinking about going in for software upgrade anyhoot...

john535, you find it hard to keep your foot off too huh! i only seem to have one speed in my car.....MAX
my wifes equally nagging. my daughter loves it.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by JayEll' date='Apr 1 2005, 09:26 AM
Had a scare y'day.
Did the screen say "IDrive has performed an illegal operation and will shut down"!

I've never experienced a loss of engine power but other strange malfunctions which sort themselves out on restart????
Old 04-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Members

My Ride: Waiting for my car, will be delivered in March.. 2005 - 523 / Black Metallic

Originally Posted by JayEll' date='Apr 1 2005, 04:26 PM
Had a scare y'day.
I had exactly the same 2 days ago, I was driving at 60 km/h and suddenly I lost all power!! A red light was lighting up, and I shut down my car. It then just restarted again. Very strange. The car is a brand new 523i, only 7 days old.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 1 2005, 08:48 PM
[quote name='JayEll' date='Apr 1 2005, 09:26 AM']Had a scare y'day.
Did the screen say "IDrive has performed an illegal operation and will shut down"!

I've never experienced a loss of engine power but other strange malfunctions which sort themselves out on restart????
[snapback]109940[/snapback]
[/quote]

no iDrive said nothing like that ..
i've had no other iDrive malfunctions to note

Quick Reply: Loss of engine power