E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing confidence in grip

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 525D M-SPORT // Grey // SB attached

I am losing confidence in the grip on my e60.
The tyres do not worn out and I have not put any waxes on the base of the wheels.
But when I corner (semi-hard) the car slips and I ened o quickly correct it.
Anyone know if this is normal or maybe I am pushing it too hard ?

How do you find the cornering is in your m-sports ?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by nudda' post='742152' date='Dec 10 2008, 06:43 AM
The tyres do not worn out and I have not put any waxes on the base of the wheels.

Do you have run-flats? Run flat tires have really tough sidewalls and are horrible in corners. I personally think that runflats aren't very safe at all.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 AM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

What tyres have you got? Which end slips (i.e. are you getting oversteer or understeer)? And has it always been like this, or just since the weather got cold? It's not just since your Sprintbooster was installed is it?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I have run flats on my car atm ( came with the car ). If I push hard in a long sweeping corner or on something like a large roundabout etc all I get is gentle understeer as a warning, if the DSC/DTC is fully deactivated etc I can provoke some oversteer at will with the throttle and steering, nothing happens suddenly tho, and the understeer always comes first giving plenty warning of impending doom if your overstepping the mark.

The speeds im talking about many would consider as extreme and very near to the limit, or indeed beyond the limit, if your experiencing anything different in every day driving or just having a "bit of a blast" moment you have serious problems with either your car, or your technique ( dont mean that to sound rude, just being honest and covering all bases )
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

Dont forget this time of year things are massively exaggerated by the weather eh
Old 12-10-2008, 04:49 AM
Members

I have the contis on the front and I know no one runs these but
Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 on the rear. The Michelins are only good if
you run in a warm climate and I have a hard time breaking them
once I get some heat into them.

I would think you must still have the run flats on and should consider
switching them for some high rated summer or winter tires and you
should see a dramatic improvement in the grip
Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525D M-SPORT // Grey // SB attached

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='742155
What tyres have you got? Which end slips (i.e. are you getting oversteer or understeer)? And has it always been like this, or just since the weather got cold? It's not just since your Sprintbooster was installed is it?
I have Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 on 166 rims. I get understreer ... its the rear that keeps slipping outwards (which makes sense as its rear wheel drive. This only happens when hitting the throttle ... however certain bends I could do at 40mph ... i dont have he confidence in doing anymore. Its a big old car too so getting it back on the straight is not always easy.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='742166' date='Dec 10 2008, 12:31 PM
Dont forget this time of year things are massively exaggerated by the weather eh
Very true ... the leaves and moist dont help. Britain being like it is, weathers not the best for cornering. Moss, mould etc etc

Thanks guys - really helpful as per usual !!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

I havn't really had the chance to grab this chassis by the scruff of the neck properly yet, cos of the weather of course, but the times I have played a little the immense torque makes the rear end go all over the place if you dont use your head in conjuction with the throttle lol, even with the Aids switched on the car squirms around all over the place if you get carried away ( albeit briefly )

I have never experienced this car with any other tyres, and can only compared the chassis with my E46 320d which I recently part ex'ed for this car , the E46 was positively tame compared to this in terms of getting the power down lol

So anyways yer, please accept my opinions on "my car" as a casual one and only having had somewhat of a limited but exciting play once or twice
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Members

Mines a sport not m sport but have 18in conti 3 non run flats / koni fsd's with sport springs / cut down front bump stops and find the grip levels superb. As my e60 came with stock sport dampers and springs with dunlop run flats the grip levels and ride quality were far from desirable.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Originally Posted by nudda' post='742152' date='Dec 10 2008, 11:43 AM

Almost certainly at this time of the year it will be your tyres. Accepting its a little colder up here the difference in putting winter tyres on even in the UK is stunning.

I had left changing my tyres a little late and there was inch of snow on the drive, there was no way the standard tyres would get up my drive. 1 hour later and 4 winter tyres later not even a touch of wheelspin. Winter tyres are honestly that good!

Quick Reply: Losing confidence in grip