E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose rear seat bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a squeak, I thought, in the back seat area.

I thought it was probably where the seat back meets the seat bottom, so I folded down the rear seats and when I did, I noticed that the outer corners of the rear seat bottom have play in them. More than I would expect.

When I pull up on the outer corner, (both sides are the same), of the seat bottom closest to the doors, they raise up about an inch or so. I tried pushing in back down as it felt like some of the retaining clips were not fastened, but no luck.

Is this normal, or something that should be fixed. I hate to go to the dealer and wait for an hour while they just clip it back in.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a very bad problem with front seats (in only 11,00km). They squeak on every clutch release and braking. Dealer told me its the leather, but I don't buy that. I sounds like two plastic clips are squeeking somewhere (both passenger and driver). Has anyone had this problem?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='725630' date='Nov 19 2008, 06:33 PM
I have a very bad problem with front seats (in only 11,00km). They squeak on every clutch release and braking. Dealer told me its the leather, but I don't buy that. I sounds like two plastic clips are squeeking somewhere (both passenger and driver). Has anyone had this problem?
I had similar problem. Only driver's seat and only when making a left turn under accel. Then it became more prevalent like when depressing the clutch.

I had it at the dealer today and they greased things up, (usual), and all better for now. Some have had frame replaced, but I'd be more apt to try all else first.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

The squeeking might be coming from your door sills and not your seats.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='725773' date='Nov 19 2008, 09:36 PM

Can anybody confirm or deny the rear seat movement I mentioned?

TIA
Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ADD' post='725778' date='Nov 19 2008, 09:45 PM

TIA
i think i've sat in the back seat of my car once and did not notice any play...doesn't sound right.
i only have play in my seat (driver) when ever i brake...tends to be loose somewhere, maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch at the most but if u lower the seat it doesn't move when u come to a full stop. weird.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADD' post='725772
I'm pretty sure its not the sill, its coming from underneath the seat.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Andy:

If you've got play, its because the seat bottom cushions are not secured properly to the retaining latches. I had this happen to me before when I was installing the sat radio in my car and running the wire into the trunk.

Remove the seat completely and inspect the holes so that you know where they go. Then, align the CENTER ones first, push and snap into place. Then, while keeping pressure on the center ones [because they tend to pop up], align the left and right ones and push in. You will need to do these simultaneously if possible cos it's harder to push one in at a time.

Give that a try - it took a while for me to get it right [pain in the a**] so be patient... GL!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ADD' post='725778' date='Nov 19 2008, 06:45 PM
Confirmed. I have the same car as you and the rear seat lifting up was on the SA list on my first visit. Apparently this is normal.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:31 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C5driver' post='726405' date='Nov 20 2008, 11:17 AM
Confirmed. I have the same car as you and the rear seat lifting up was on the SA list on my first visit. Apparently this is normal.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still confused. If I'm reading your post correctly... you took your car in the first time to complain about the rear seat corners being "loose" and BMW told you it was normal and didn't change anything...?

Sorry for my thickheadedness.

Quick Reply: Loose rear seat bottom?