E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Loose rear end upon hard braking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My baby now has more than 1500kms on the odo so I've been putting it through its paces on the highways, backstreets and isolated roads around the Adelaide hills. It's been awesome! The handling of this car is the best amongst all the cars I've ever owned. I'm so happy

This morning whilst driving down a reasonably narrow and windy road down a hill (approx 20 degrees angle?) I had to brake hard at one of the turns. As I hit the brakes from the speed of around 75kmh to bring it down to about 50kmh to take the turn, I believe the ABS started to kick in and I felt like my rear end starting to come loose. It was very brief and I took the turn fine. However, it was an odd feeling.

Later, on an uphill track I was taking a turn (probably 70 degree bend with a 100m length) at 70kmh and I started to feel like my rear end was coming loose again. I wasn't expecting this as I have wider tires and a lower profile. I can't remember feeling this in my previouse E320.

I guess I'm still not used to the car, or am over-reacting to its feel, or the road was wet . But, I'm curious if anyone is experiencing a loose end with the E60 when they are not expecting it?

Anyway, 10/10 for my driving experience in the 540i so far
Old 09-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't say I've ever felt the rear-end getting loose on hard braking or hard cornering. (Of course I'm not counting the times I turned off DSC and did it on purpose in the snow, etc...)
Old 09-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

Check to see if your rear shocks are part of the recall for the issue with the bushings. Prolly not but it's worth a look.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok not really loose end upon hard breaking but I felt the end come out today. But I think it was my fault... I'm not even sure I know what happened... Was taking a sweeping turn at high speed and then all of a sudden all I can remember is the tail came out and I tried to correct it and then DSC tried to correct it and so instead it swung the other way and I again tried to correct and DSC tried... fish tailed like 3 times till the car became stable and tracked straight again. Scary! iceman316 saw it all happen from behind.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

I've always thought the E60 had a loose rear end, I'm hoping that with some sway bars and some upgraded shocks and springs, maybe coilovers, it will tighten it up. It seems like every hard turn I make the rear end rolls a lot more than the front end and it makes the car want to fishtail like with EBMCS03. I took a pretty hard turn when I was in Michigan (80 degrees at about 45mph) with a friend following behind me and after we got back to our apartment he said he couldn't believe how much body roll my car has. He said he thought his '99 Cavalier took the corner better than my car did, and to be honest, I almost believe him. I don't think the rear shock recall affected my build date (04/04) but I have started to wonder about it.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Have you got run-flats?

I have the same problem. The back end is keen to step out. When you're least expecting it. The run-flat tyres are too stiff, and will lose grip over even the smallest of bumps if you're pushing the tyre. For me, it usually happens with lateral loading. It's so bad that I've lost confidence with the car.

To me, it feels like the car has been designed by 2 teams. The front is great, and the back is "not great" Perhaps if the rears had 275 rubber instead of 245...

I'm thinking about trying non-runflat tyres next.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='337995' date='Sep 24 2006, 01:55 AM
Have you got run-flats?

I have the same problem. The back end is keen to step out. When you're least expecting it. The run-flat tyres are too stiff, and will lose grip over even the smallest of bumps if you're pushing the tyre. For me, it usually happens with lateral loading. It's so bad that I've lost confidence with the car.

To me, it feels like the car has been designed by 2 teams. The front is great, and the back is "not great" Perhaps if the rears had 275 rubber instead of 245...

I'm thinking about trying non-runflat tyres next.
That could be part of the problem. All my past loose end experiences were with the runflats, I now have 275's in the rear and although I haven't pushed it really hard since putting them on I don't feel like the rear end is going to break loose as easily. I do still feel the enormous amount of body roll though, which is why I'm looking to upgrade the suspension to some degree.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Senior Members

I have 245s in the front and 275s in the rear and they are not run flats. I'm gonna try again when it gets a bit drier. The uphill experience doesnt bother me at all but the down hill experience does put some doubt in my mind (which may not be a bad thing). I'm not surprised the ABS kicked in but to have the rear come loose a bit just before the turn, was surprising. It's similar to my experience in an E60 M5. I was just coming out of a corner when I floored it, hit 120kmh. As I came out of the turn I saw a cop car on the side and by that time I had straighten out. I slammed the brakes to bring it down to about 60kmh and the rear felt like it came loose slightly. A movement to the right if I remember correctly. The owner of the M5 was by my side and he felt it too.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Leburpor' post='338007' date='Sep 24 2006, 02:17 AM
I have 245s in the front and 275s in the rear and they are not run flats. I'm gonna try again when it gets a bit drier.
I have the same setup on my E60, let us know how it goes when you test it out again.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

Ok, i dunno what you guys are talking about but my rear end NEVER once did that. Never stepped out on hard braking and taking me by surprise. It's just rock solid. Of course if you do it on purpose and juggle with the weight ballance of the car it will come out. In fact i was surprised how planted the car is upon braking. I dunno if this has anything to do with the M tech suspension and i also hafe rf tires that seem to indeed lack grip sometimes.
I can't really measure you're problem since i dunno how much you feel it went out but for all cars out there it's a commoun rule that when you brake hard exactly when making a corner (the tighter the worse it feels) the car tends to oversteer, because the weight center moves to the outer front of the car thus retracting some grip from the back of the car, and if you say it's in a downhill section of corners it might feel even worse just because the rear has even less grip. I dunno if it does badly have the car checked, mine untill now didn't do such major things even in the worst treatment she's been through

Quick Reply: Loose rear end upon hard braking?