E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Looking into buying an E60, need some pointers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='747287' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:08 PM
That's scary. I waited a long time to find the right car with the right options. It's really worth waiting. I managed to get one with only 46.000km (29,000m) and got a full 1 year BMW warranty.
Did you purchase yours at an official BMW dealership?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='747292' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:11 PM
Did you purchase yours at an official BMW dealership?
Oh yes. I wouldn't consider buying one anywhere else, unless it was a much older model and I was buying it for it's classic status. An E60 I'd personally only buy from a BMW dealer because they're the only ones able to put a proper BMW warranty on it.

edit: just looking at my warranty/guarantee now. It says "Europlus" on it, but it's in a BMW warranty booklet. So it might be a 3rd party BMW approved warranty and my BMW dealer is the handler for the warranty.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

I've done some digging and found some interesting options.
BMW Holland has got a used car program called the BMW Home Selection program.
When purchasing a car via one of the official dealerships, they offer 2 year unlimited warranty!

Prices are a bit higher than marketvalues, but that's definitely worth it
Old 12-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

After 2 days of searching, digging and visiting tons of car dealerships, i finally found a possible candidate:
http://vanroycars.hexon.cx/s3af4b615d2798c...633278&nr=9

Yes, it's a diesel. But is has (almost) everything i want on it, with the exception of fully adjustable electric seats and maybe a HUD, but i that wasn't a real deal buster anyways.
Ofcourse it will be chipped immediately

It's getting a service and a cleaning now, so i'm going back saterday and will take a final testdrive. If i still like it and don't find anything wrong with it, i'm a new member of the E60 clan
(Yes, i've took some time off work to look for my car )
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

If you ask me even if the car you test drove is the one you want, If I were in your shoes I would go seek out a few more 545 and compare prices, test drive the vehicles, etc. Going an making a huge purchase w/ only 1 point of reference to conduct your research is a !

Believe me you'll be suprized what you might find when you do your shopping you may find a better deal or you may find a car with more options. Another thing to consider is the 2004 was the 1st MY of the E60 and w/o a warranty I would be concerned about buying a 1st model year car.

Shop around some, if you and this particular car are meant to be, then it will be there still in a couple weeks when your done doing your due diligence.

GL
Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Problem is, my budget for the car is about 30 grand (euro's), that's my maximum i want to spend on a car.
Almost all 545i's are above this price range (especially with all the options i want on it) and the ones in the range are late '03 models and have lots of miles on the clock (and, like the one i viewed first, had a dodgy past).

I saw about 5 different 5-ers today (1x 530i, 2x 530d, 1x 535d and a 545i) and this one ticks the boxes the most and has the least miles on the clock (124k km / 77k miles) AND has 6 months unlimited warranty.
I haven't bought anything yet and will be on the road again tomorrow looking at other cars.

(Financially and tax-wise, it would be very good for me to buy the car this year, it would cost me about 10 grand less than if i bought it in 2009)
Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi OverSoft,

Why don't you buy a car from the bmw.de http://ecom.bmwgroup.com/ecom32gahp/DE-GAH...sp?process=uvse

That's is from where all Scandinavians (including us Finns) buy their used BMW's.

From there you can set you extras wishes and the supply is good and you'll get a warranty.

I recommend the 530dA (or a 530iA) with Comfort Seats and Logic7 plus the choice of your wishes.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='747209' date='Dec 17 2008, 11:32 AM
I've waited a long time and last week i finally decided to go for a used 5-er.
I'm from the Netherlands (Europe) and car prices are thru the roof here (prices for new cars are about twice the price Americans pay for the same car... thank you Dutch goverment...)

So, today i had a look at a used 545i (2004) with all options (I think that BMW US calls this premium, BMW Holland calls this High Executive).
(Link to dutch car site)
I really liked the car, but i saw some worrying things. All rims were badly damaged and the right front tire had a bulge on it.
The salesperson assured me the car was always driven responsibly, but when i see that kind of damage i begin to wonder...
The price was really good, especially for this specific type (545i High Executive), but i'm beginning to think the price is too good to be true. (It's about $38.000, that's low for dutch standards)

I saw the complete service history and it looks okay, but seeing the family who owns the showroom (not really the types to be trusted) and seeing the damage, i told the salesguy that i'd sleep on it.
The problem is, i have no frame of reference on how a 545i SHOULD drive, so i can't really tell if the car is up to spec. It doesn't wiggle or drift to one side while driving, but i know that doesn't mean that there is nothing wrong underneath.

I'm not in a hurry to buy a car, but i really like the 5-series and now that i can afford one, i really want one.

What do you guys say? Let it pass and look for a better (perhaps pricier) 5-er or go for it?
(BTW, a 545i isn't a must, but a 530i is my minimum and it really has to have the High Executive package (big nav-screen, electrically controllable seats, etc...))

Unfortunately I do not have time right now to review the other comments but run away from this "deal." Don't walk ... run, and don't look back.

I don't care how reliable the car maker is (Toyota?), you NEVER purchase a crappy, abused looking car, and certainly NOT from a dealership that you feel or observe is not trustworthy. You keep looking until you find the one that's been loved and cared for by its previous owner. You already know this .... You're wanting us to tell you it's okay, and I KNOW you know otherwise.

There are plenty of used BMW's out there that were owned by enthusiasts. That's one of the assets of buying a used BMW ... Sure there are those who just buy the blue and white status symbol, poor souls, but there are many who buy it because it's truly one of the best engineered cars available. Buy your first BMW from a member of this latter group and you'll be all set for an enjoyable ownership experience.

As with all things in life, be patient and wait for the right "fill in the blank" to come along. They always do ...

I'll step down now, lol.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='747970
Unfortunately I do not have time right now to review the other comments but run away from this "deal." Don't walk ... run, and don't look back.
I don't care how reliable the car maker is (Toyota?), you NEVER purchase a crappy, abused looking car, and certainly NOT from a dealership that you feel or observe is not trustworthy. You keep looking until you find the one that's been loved and cared for by its previous owner. You already know this .... You're wanting us to tell you it's okay, and I KNOW you know otherwise.
There are plenty of used BMW's out there that were owned by enthusiasts. That's one of the assets of buying a used BMW ... Sure there are those who just buy the blue and white status symbol, poor souls, but there are many who buy it because it's truly one of the best engineered cars available. Buy your first BMW from a member of this latter group and you'll be all set for an enjoyable ownership experience.
As with all things in life, be patient and wait for the right "fill in the blank" to come along. They always do ...
I'll step down now, lol.
Yup, that's what i kinda knew deep inside. I've already passed that station and have looked at well taken care of cars, i've already found some very nice cars and will be looking at more tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Members

Hi

Run screaming from the dealership re the slighly off 545i !

One thing is for sure, the 545i is so complex buying it without a warrenty is simply a bad idea, especially a dodgy one.

I bought the most perfect used car I had ever seen (3 yrs old 20kms lived in an air conditioned basement only driven on long drives at about 80kph by an old person) I bought an after market warranty. I still had a one tech gremlin - the passenger airbag issue and had to put the tape around the doors to fix the creak but other than that its been excellent - and still love it more than ever!

Summary after searching for ages I found the right one - and you will know - because you'll get the "fever" when you find it!

cheers
stu

Quick Reply: Looking into buying an E60, need some pointers.