E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Looking to become first time bmw owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want to buy a bmw e60, my finances will probably only allow to purchase a pre lci model i don't really care what size engine the cheaper the better to me. any way a lot of people have been trying to get me to change my mind about buying this car because they think i may not be ready for everything that comes when being a bmw owner. specifically speaking cost of maintenance and repair. they have advised me to come online and do my hw. So talk to me all of you current owners tell me what should i expect, tell me how much are u spending to keep your bimmer running like the way it was when u first bought it. Tell me your experiences good or bad give me your advice, tell me your regrets if you have any discourage me as best as you can from buying this car as i want to make an intelligent decision with my money.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535D M Sport Carbon Black, 172s, Boot spoiler, Tinted Glass, Media pack, Visabilty Pack, Hifi Upgrade, Electric memory heated Seats, Heated steering Wheel, Sport auto Trans,

as with any car make sure every thing works, have a good look round the car, test drive more than 1 car to see what they feel like, and to listen for what they sound like. Dont be worried about creaking doors that is an easy fix. I love my E60 it is better to drive that my E39.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andrewsweetnam
as with any car make sure every thing works, have a good look round the car, test drive more than 1 car to see what they feel like, and to listen for what they sound like. Dont be worried about creaking doors that is an easy fix. I love my E60 it is better to drive that my E39.
thanks I know a lot of people will tell me its a beast like no other machine to drive. Is your e60 costing you a lot more to maintain then lets say a jap car would? how much r you spending for normal things like an oil change ,brake change or , tire change. and my next question would be how often are non normal expenses coming up and how expensive can they get?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

As long as you aren't coming in with any false belief that the car will be as reliable as a Japanese car, or as inexpensive to repair, you should be happy.

There are valid reasons the value of these cars drops like a rock once the warranty has expired.

Buy
More
Warranty
Old 06-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535D M Sport Carbon Black, 172s, Boot spoiler, Tinted Glass, Media pack, Visabilty Pack, Hifi Upgrade, Electric memory heated Seats, Heated steering Wheel, Sport auto Trans,

I dont want to tempt fate! i owned my last bmw for 5 1/2 years and it was good i only had 1 parking sensor fail £55 for the sensor + 1/2 hours labour 1x battery £100 I used aftermarket filters and oil and got the dealer to install them total service cost for oil change less than £200, major service £300, The only expencive thing that went wrong was the steering rack boot split and i diddent notice till there was oil on the floor too late i had to have a reconditioned rack fitted £200 for the rack and i fitted it my self 4 hours. I,ve spent more on my vw,s in the past than on my bmws. BTW i did over 60000 miles in my E39 it had about 95000 miles when i sold it.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

LOL @ promed Buy More Warrenty & @ andrew I hope this is my fate as well once i buy this car im hoping i don't gotta take out loans just to keep the car running
Old 06-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Contributors

What to expect? On a positive side - a kick ass ride!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bimmerfamily2010
What to expect? On a positive side - a kick ass ride!
oh i know its kick ass, and i plan to have lots of fun with it for at least 5 years but I'm in fear the car will run me destitute LOL.. someone suggested to me that if i want to save money on the price of the car maybe i should consider one over 100000 miles b4 i didn't want one with over 75k but im seeing as i go around test driving and bargaining that these cars get great resale value. do you guys see any negatives to buying one with over 100k? those of you who well maintain your bimmers how does the car ride at over that kind of mileage, and should i expect even more visits to my local German auto mechanic @ +100k
Old 06-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Members

#1 Expect to be completely spoiled by the handling of your ride! #2 Expect your neighbors and co-workers to start making stupid comments about how rich you are. #3 Unless he or she already drives something stellar expect your boss to go out and buy a new car after they see yours.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spediegunz
oh i know its kick ass, and i plan to have lots of fun with it for at least 5 years but I'm in fear the car will run me destitute LOL.. someone suggested to me that if i want to save money on the price of the car maybe i should consider one over 100000 miles b4 i didn't want one with over 75k but im seeing as i go around test driving and bargaining that these cars get great resale value. do you guys see any negatives to buying one with over 100k? those of you who well maintain your bimmers how does the car ride at over that kind of mileage, and should i expect even more visits to my local German auto mechanic @ +100k
Generally speaking bro, once you do find that 5er, drop a couple hundred on a pre-purchase inspection. Once that checks out, and you do purchase the car, go ahead and get some type of warranty. I got my bimmer with 70k+ on the odometer and I also got a third party warranty through my lender. Just an added peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Looking to become first time bmw owner