E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Long-term effects of using < 91 octane fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bha7176
and that kind of logic, my friend, is why the price of fuel in general, and taxes, are going to keep creeping up and up, cent by cent, for no other reason than they can and guys like you say whats the difference, it's only $3 per tank. Or so what, my taxes are only going to increase by $100 a year - no big deal.

Sorry, one of my pet peeves. I digress.

yes because this attitude towards the difference is the direct result to the reasons for crude oil technology going up and therefore oil refinery prices going up and the end consumer paying more lol
Old 03-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I don't agree that the counter measures will not affect the life of the car, but then if i really thought the 3 points in octane mattered..I would mix in some 100LL from he airport.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by pjinca
Let's see, long term effects of using lower grade gas? How about not having engine repairs covered even if you are under warranty. The owners manual does not say "91 or Premium octeane recommended" it says "required", which to me means using lower octane fuel can give the dealer a reason not to cover a repair even if the warranty is still active. Other than that? You're good I use the highest octane available, which for me (SoCal) is 91.
Actually, what the manual says is 91 octane is "highly recommended. However, you may also use gasoline with less AKI. The minimum AKI rating is 87." So clearly, using 87 octane will not void your warranty. And the notion that a car manufacturer can void you warranty or refuse to cover repairs is way overblown. They may try often, but the laws (especially in states like California) are set up to protect consumers. Like insurance companies, manufacturers count on the fact that consumers do not have the persistence or resources to follow through on these things.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by -Mike-
i'm gonna pump some e85 in the 5er and see how that affects performance

i hear your mileage is reduced

i'll report back

this could save you 30 cents a gallon
No need to try this. Math will show you that the energy density of Ethanol is much less than Gasoline. I know that you will have a 28% decrease in efficiency.

Ethanol 33.1 MJ/kg
Gasoline 46.4 MJ/kg
Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Members

So my mother lives in the Bahamas, and she just got a CPO 2006 750i, and in the Bahamas, the only type of gas you can buy is 87 octane and her car runs fine. she just got her car about a year ago, loves it and has no problems burning the 87, lets give it a few more years though. Car was a real gem, 2006 with only 7,800 miles, thing was brand new, picked it up for $35,500 in Orlando.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by robg
Actually, what the manual says is 91 octane is "highly recommended. However, you may also use gasoline with less AKI. The minimum AKI rating is 87." So clearly, using 87 octane will not void your warranty. And the notion that a car manufacturer can void you warranty or refuse to cover repairs is way overblown. They may try often, but the laws (especially in states like California) are set up to protect consumers. Like insurance companies, manufacturers count on the fact that consumers do not have the persistence or resources to follow through on these things.
That is not exactly true about the "recommendation" - this is straight from my owners manual (page 170):

Fuel specifications
The engine uses lead-free gasoline only.
Required fuel
Premium Unleaded Gasoline
The minimum octane rating is 91.

If you use gasoline with this minimum octane
rating, the engine may produce knocking
sounds when starting at high outside temperatures.
This has no affect on the engine life.
Minimum octane rating corresponds to the Anti
Knock Index AKI and is determined according
to the so-called (R+M)/2 method.
Do not use leaded gasoline, as
Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

EFF it - throw some leaded gas in that biotch and see what happens!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by pukka
EFF it - throw some leaded gas in that biotch and see what happens!
It'll be fine on the engine but it would throughly screw up the o2 (lambda) sensor and catalytic converter.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by or_550i
It'll be fine on the engine but it would throughly screw up the o2 (lambda) sensor and catalytic converter.
True, but no more engine knock.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

lower octane will not harm your car. you or your car probably couldnt tell the difference, unless the temperature is high and you load the engine a lot.
lots of times if i know i'm just going to be doing a lot of highway driving, i'll just use the cheaper gas. higher octane gas while just cruising, has no benefits. higher octane gas just prevents pre-ingition under heavier loads and higher temps.

Quick Reply: Long-term effects of using < 91 octane fuel