E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Long Distance Routing with CCC Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim
Default Long Distance Routing with CCC Navigation

I am planning a drive from SC to San Antonio, TX. I am using the 2013 2 DVD disk set. Entering the final destination, gives me an error, since it cannot be found on disk (1) East. Inserting disk (2) West prompts me to go through the install process that I had to do with disk (1) already. Shut down the car, wait 5 minutes, put key back in and continue with the Nav.
It appears that I cannot go straight from SC to TX without a waypoint, requiring re-initializing the following disk. Border states along the Mississippi are on both disks. Going West I would initialize Region West somewhere in LA and returning I would have to re-initialize Region East again somewhere in LA. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

+1 i was wondering the same thing as i also have the 2 dic 2013 nav disc.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Thats funny, just the other week I was looking at mine and thought the same thing how I would go to SA and at what point would I swap over to disc 2. I forgot about the initialization. I wonder if you initialize it now and then insert it when its needed if the system will still need this time, surely not!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Members

My Ride: See signature

That is why this two disk system and the way they divided the US in two is terrible.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Thats funny, just the other week I was looking at mine and thought the same thing how I would go to SA and at what point would I swap over to disc 2. I forgot about the initialization. I wonder if you initialize it now and then insert it when its needed if the system will still need this time, surely not!
It appears that it prompts for the 5 min. routine each time you switch. I tried it. That made me ask here to find out what I might be doing wrong. I was hoping, that at least the complete Interstate system was available on both disks for a rough routing approximation.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Wow, that does suck. Imagine if you lived near that region and were back and forth in this area and then having to switch the discs over. I'm not even sure where mine west coast disc is since I've never used it.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Members

I am planning to use one of my iPhone's navigation apps to get a total route to have a safe reference when and if the in-car nav should "misbehave", and that should give me time to make the disk switch when convenient. I like to rely on the built-in system, but still sometimes double-check with my phone's results. Any other ideas out there?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baveagle
I am planning to use one of my iPhone's navigation apps to get a total route to have a safe reference when and if the in-car nav should "misbehave", and that should give me time to make the disk switch when convenient. I like to rely on the built-in system, but still sometimes double-check with my phone's results. Any other ideas out there?
+1. There are only a couple of truly viable choices anyway on that part of the route. Just pick a town close to where your phone is telling you to go that's covered on the first disk, and flip the disks when you cross over into the covered territory, routing to your final destination.

Makes me happy I never "upgraded" to the newer east-west disks though, sticking with my 2009 set - kind of a pain.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
New Members

is it just me or is the bmw nav so terrible i just grab my phone??
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
+1. There are only a couple of truly viable choices anyway on that part of the route. Just pick a town close to where your phone is telling you to go that's covered on the first disk, and flip the disks when you cross over into the covered territory, routing to your final destination.
It appears that you actually have to shut down the car, insert the other disk, wait 5 minutes, and then continue.

Quick Reply: Long Distance Routing with CCC Navigation