E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic7 Equalizer Settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I'm not an audio buff and pretty much only got the Logic7 to get the CD-changer so please pardon my "stupidness". What should the equalizer settings be? What do the bars even mean?

I remember when I took delivery of the car my salesman adjusted the bars but never really told me what he was doing.

I imagine the settings vary but there's probably some "normal" setting which is not the default that makes music sound a little better.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Logic7 Equalizer Settings-equalizer.jpg  
Old 08-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, that's perfect the way you've got it, but it's all completely subjective and you'll get dozens of different opinions.

With regard to the three modes, I found Off to be too "boxy" in character- you can hear the individual speaker with no sense of speaker.

Theatre I found to be just right

Concert I found to be slightly too "effectsy" with some phase related problems and a loss of natural sounding instruments and voice.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:38 AM
Members

dealer told me to have all settings 3/4 full to give an overall good sound. I also have no clue whats best as I cant tell to big of a difference, so I jsut keep it at what they told me and it sounds great
Old 08-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Members

So.. you have there 7 differend bands. Theese bands are the way they divided the sound. Starting from the right.. we have the Hights (those sharp noises.. that come out of the tweeters).. then the other bands are a transition to the 1k band (in the middle) that is.. so that you understand.. the voice from a song. If you put that down you will notice that the vocal part of the song will almost dissapear. In the left side we have the bass frequencies. I recommend you to put the middle band a little under the rest. The equaliser should have a V shape... When my car will arrive I'll show you exactly. Probably you didn't understand much from what I've told you. The Theatre and other presets add also echo.. reverb. .a short delay.. They kind of alter the original sound. But it's recomended when listening to classical music. Ii gives you the feeling you are in the concert room.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I understand!! I have it flat now too.. and didn't know how the settings will affect the sound and now I do! thanks radu!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

I used to make some extra cash in various rock bands for over ten years and spent some time as a soundman. Here.s my .02.

It's all subjective "but" there are certain settings that, when compared to other settings, seem to give a more balanced sound. I've found that the mid-bass (above 100hz to about 800hz) seems to add frequencies that tend to overshadow and color other frequencies above. To me it sounds kinda distorted (not the sound system itself, but the resulting sound. Since our system starts a 200hz, it's kinda limited in the low bass adjustment with a lot of mid-bass adjustments. It would sound better if we had 60hz and 125hz to work with.

The sound image is also affected by the room size, shape, wall/floor material, the number of people in the room, the quality of the equipment and especially the quality and mix of the recording. In the 530, the noise of the engine rises as speed is increased, also coloring the sound.

That all being said, I've found that the quality of the recording can be the biggest factor in making the system sound "good" or not (everything else being equal). So when I have a setting that I like, along comes a recording that makes it sound like trash. Oh, well. We just do the best we can.

I''ll take some pics of my settings when I have some time this weekend. Other wise, raise the lowest bass a couple of click above the middle setting. The others go kinda step wise from there starting with a couple of clicks above the lowest setting with the highs rolled off a little.

My setting, while recording dependent, is always being adjusted in our lowest bass e.q. and may need to be attenuated a bit, depending on your taste and the the quality of the recording.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Members

If you wanna se exactly what every band sounds like.. put all down then rise only one of them. You will see wich frequencies affects that setting.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Aug 27 2004, 10:23 AM
I''ll take some pics of my settings when I have some time this weekend.
Please do so.. I can use some help of an audiphile.. (I hope I didn't swear at you )

TIA
Old 08-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Personally, I find that the bass needs to come up - I've got the 100Hz (far left) setting 2 - 3 over default. This audio system is pretty "bright" to me - already almost too much on the highs, so I have left those flat.

There's a separate set of bass and treble settings as well, in the other sub-menu - those affect the "overall" levels of bass and treble, whereas the equalizer allows more fine tuning.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Contributors

I have plussed the bass in the overall settings a bit to get it more evened.

Quick Reply: Logic7 Equalizer Settings