E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

If I were going to change out the stereo in my E60, I would use Image Dynamics horns... and just leave the factory speakers where they are. (But disconnect them)

The horns can easily mount underneath the dash, without having to alter the vehicle at all. Just hang them with metal strips and screw into the underside of the dash. Horns require little power when compared to equal quality speakers... although more power does give you more headroom.

I would try to use a single amplifier to keep the power consumption at a minimum. Voltage spikes could seriously cause problems for the iDrive, so it is critical to address your power system. Change out the stock battery for an Optima Yellow Top. Run good quality power cable to your amplifier. Install at least 1 farad of capacitors for every 1000 watts of power.... although you can never have too much capacitance. I had 15 farads on my old system, which was 1800 watts.

I would use a sealed subwoofer enclosure, firing to the back of the car.... most likely. In the past I have sworn by three 10 inch subs. I don't think I would go so far with the E60, however. They require too much power, and I think that for an E60 install you need to try and keep the current draw at a minimum to protect the iDrive. Besides, I can barely fit my golf clubs in the trunk now. BMW says 4 bags can fit? Bullshit.

But to do all that, it would be pointless if you still have to use the stock CD players and preamp. Those components would be such poor quality compared to what I'd be adding to the car, that I couldn't justify the effort to go through with it.

For me, it is all or nothing. Either I replace every component of an audio system for high-end ones, or else it just isn't worth it to me.

But it is a moot issue. I'm not risking my warranty to try all that.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Members

Just bought today (finally) the remastered Live at Leeds

The greatest live album ever!!! On a decent system you will feel like you are there on valentines night 1970. This cd never leaves my car and I have a crap sound system in my current vehicle
Old 03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Members

Excuse my ignorance being in the UK but what is an Acura, who makes them and is this a car available in Europe with a different name. Bose in my experience tends to be ?900 of badge and ?100 of sound quality. They have built a reputation in the UK of style over substance and are very reluctant to put their hifi products up against the competition in a direct contest and are very restrictive about who they allow to sell their speaker packages.

I tested their home cinema offering against others costing much less and the rivals were considerably better.

For the In car stuff do the likes of bose and HK actually manufacture the stuff or are they just lending their brand to in house products. I have heard a story saying that the Breitling dials in the Bentley have absolutely no connection with the watch maker other than their name being used and think it might be the same for alll these OEM stereo offerings
Old 03-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Acura is Honda's luxury line. It is only sold in the USA and Canada, I think. I could be wrong on that, though. In Japan, the Acura models simply carry the Honda badge.

You are correct about cheaper audio gear outperforming Bose.

A perfect example, Bowers & Wilkins... a UK high-end loudspeaker manufacturer.

For a fraction of the price of a Bose speaker setup you can purchase a set of B&W speakers which would absolutely put them to shame.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Members

My local audiophile store has a slogan about BOSE:

B etter
O ff with
S omething
E lse!!

I agree, I think the L7 blows away the MB!
Can't wait to pick up my 545i tomorrow, 9AM!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by Joe545' date='Mar 1 2005, 11:29 PM
My local audiophile store has a slogan about BOSE:

B etter
O ff with
S omething
E lse!!

[snapback]95883[/snapback]
=================================

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Mar 1 2005, 07:30 PM
[quote name='Joe545' date='Mar 1 2005, 11:29 PM']My local audiophile store has a slogan about BOSE:

B etter
O ff with
S omething
E lse!!

[snapback]95883[/snapback]
=================================

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[snapback]95884[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wait doesnt MB have L7 too?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Contributors

Did you know that Volvo uses speakers made by Dynaudio?

That's pretty impressive, actually. Highest quality OEM speaker I have ever seen sold on any car.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Yeah, the volvo S80 has a three-way front with dynaudio drivers along with Alpine electronics.

Don't know the quality of the source, but here's a list of top stock systems
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/...cars.top10..4.*
Old 03-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Contributors

They said that Dolby Pro Logic is the manufacturer of the Volvo system. Dolby Pro Logic is a technology, not a manufacturer.

That's like saying that DVD audio bulds the stereo in the Acura TL. Panasonic makes the stereo, but it uses DVD audio technology.

Quick Reply: Logic 7 stereo