E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 a Step Down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

Even (if not especially) with background noise, good, clear sound is better than muffled, tinny sound.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Do you have anything to support this?
I am basing it on a couple of sources:

1. Personal comparison. Music production and DJing are big hobbies for me, and I work with audio software all the time. I have compared many MP3 encoders, including iTunes, SoundForge with LAME, EAC, and others.

2. Experience of others. I spend a lot of time reading forums like this one, for music production. Many people there have also compared encoders.... and again, Exact Audio Copy is by far the most preferred. iTunes is not well regarded, even though these forums are loaded with Mac enthusiasts.

As the original poster was also using an iPod as the audio source then other formats such as Apple Lossless, AIFF or WAV might also provide audio quality enhancements.
Certainly an uncompressed format such as AIFF or WAV will sound better than a compressed format.... but it won't be the same as CD. I have tested this on my Logic 7. I ripped a CD with SoundForge to extract a WAV format. I saved the uncompressed file, and put it on my iPod. (60 gig, color) I then compared the WAV file to the original CD, in the car. The difference was very noticable. The difference was in bass response. On the CD the bass is much more clear, and punchy. The iPod lacked the same definition.

In my car, I have removed the caps/resistors from the AUX cable... so this is not the reason for the difference.

The question is... is it the iPod, or the AUX input of the Logic 7? Since I don't have another player, I can't do this test.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Members

EAC, as I recall, natively creates unmodified wav files from CDs. You can add in an MP3 converter (like Lame), and then choose compressed mode but I don't think EAC comes with its own mp3 converter. Is that correct, or do later versions of EAC come with mp3 capabilities built in?

I assume that you use EAC with Lame?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy' post='301002' date='Jun 21 2006, 11:53 AM
EAC, as I recall, natively creates unmodified wav files from CDs. You can add in an MP3 converter (like Lame), and then choose compressed mode but I don't think EAC comes with its own mp3 converter. Is that correct, or do later versions of EAC come with mp3 capabilities built in?

I assume that you use EAC with Lame?
Yup, EAC is just a ripper, you have to use it with LAME. Or, in my case, I use it with FLAC, now that hard drive space is ultra-cheap. Only a very few people can tell the difference between the original and (well-compressed) 256kbps MP3 however, and only on specific clips of music. Go here for too much information:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=idx
Old 06-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='300618' date='Jun 20 2006, 10:36 PM
iTunes is not well regarded, even though these forums are loaded with Mac enthusiasts.
Certainly an uncompressed format such as AIFF or WAV will sound better than a compressed format.... but it won't be the same as CD. I have tested this on my Logic 7. I ripped a CD with SoundForge to extract a WAV format. I saved the uncompressed file, and put it on my iPod. (60 gig, color) I then compared the WAV file to the original CD, in the car. The difference was very noticable. The difference was in bass response. On the CD the bass is much more clear, and punchy. The iPod lacked the same definition.
The difference in quality between raw uncompressed audio and an mp3 is in my opinion pretty small in such a terrible listening environment as a car......Logic 7 or not.....When comparing an extracted .wav vs. a 192 mp3...it really would take a pretty serious audiophile to tell the difference.....Don't get me wrong...there IS a difference...I just don't think it matters in a car....!!!

I can't really tell the difference in my car...but I can at work!!!
[attachment=26201:attachment]
Old 06-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='301285' date='Jun 21 2006, 11:36 PM
The difference in quality between raw uncompressed audio and an mp3 is in my opinion pretty small in such a terrible listening environment as a car......Logic 7 or not.....When comparing an extracted .wav vs. a 192 mp3...it really would take a pretty serious audiophile to tell the difference.....Don't get me wrong...there IS a difference...I just don't think it matters in a car....!!!

I can't really tell the difference in my car...but I can at work!!!
[attachment=26201:attachment]
Geez man That sure beats my Allen & Heath
Old 06-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hollywoodtrash' post='301287' date='Jun 22 2006, 02:38 AM
Geez man That sure beats my Allen & Heath

LOL

I like Allen & Heath boards !!!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

nwilliams,

Seems like you know something about mixing and pot settings, so do you have an E60 with Logic 7? If so, how do you set it?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I like Allen & Heath boards !!!

My DJ mixer is A&H. Xone 62.

I just ordered the new Xone 3D, though. Should have it in a few weeks.

They make the best DJ mixers for sound quality, bar none.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Contributors

When comparing an extracted .wav vs. a 192 mp3...it really would take a pretty serious audiophile to tell the difference.....Don't get me wrong...there IS a difference...I just don't think it matters in a car....!!!

I have read many articles which claim that even top audiophiles have been fooled by MP3 recordings, claiming they could tell the difference but were duped. But, to me the difference is very noticable. I never understood how an audiophile could be fooled. I think these articles were probably written by strong MP3 proponents, who were trying to slant the story. Because I know that these "audiophiles" must have better ears than I do, yet I can tell you the difference between a 320 mp3 and Wav or vinyl on a good danceclub system, fairly easily. You just have to know what to listen for. For me, it's all in the bass response.

You are correct that in a typical car, the system is so shitty that the difference won't be as easily noticable.... because it would be hard to tell the difference between compressed audio distortion, or just plain shitty stereo distortion (which the Logic 7 has plenty of). I am astounded by the artifacts which the L7 processors introduce to my music. It drives me nuts, but I leave the L7 on because I can't stand having no frontal stereo image. With L7 on, I get the soundstage up front where I like it. Without it, the vocals sound like they come from the rear driver-side door. I have messed with the balance and fader settings, but to no avail. So, I keep the L7 on concert hall setting and just live with the distortions.

Quick Reply: Logic 7 a Step Down?