E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 a Step Down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

I've had my car a couple of days and so far I haven't had any gripes, except about the sound. I have to admit to being a little sound obsessed in my home stereo stuff, which makes it all the weirder that without comparing them I assumed the Logic 7 would sound better than the standard stereo. I hate to admit, but I upgraded it sound-unheard. Has anyone heard both and liked the standard sound system better?

The audio is the only thing I don't like so much about this car. It's not intolerable, but it has boomy inarticulate bass ("smeared" and monotonic) and a slightly strident high-end. My Lexus RX 300 standard sound system was audiophile-grade by comparison.

A second question: has anyone found settings that correct these flaws?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

When I listened to the L7 in the demo car, I thought it was perfect. When I got my car, I agreed with you that it was too boomy. There are some posts on here of recommended eq settings that help A LOT - people that have had theirs tuned, etc.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya I heard both and compared it both. When I took my MINI into service i got a E60 525 as a loner and I was finally curious just like you was my freaken $1800 stereo upgrade really worth it? AND YES!!!! if you think L7 doesnt sound good. OMG you'll cry when you hear the stock system. all the high mid and low are mixed together... or rather muffled together more... its not as clear. Promise you it sounds a lot worse.

Hummm you said the Lexus RX 300 stereo sounds better??? Can you go listen to the new second generation Lexus IS starndard stereo... non Mark Levinson and compare it to BMWs L7 for me? Now I'm curious... I think L7 is a bit better than the IS's standard stereo and the Mark Levinson a bit better than L7. I'm no sound judge or anything but just my opinion... so I'm curious now...

This is how I would rate the stereos I've heard enough to really put it onto a scale in my head...

E90 standard stereo
E60 standard stereo (tie with E90 just as bad!)
Lexus IS standard stereo
MINI Cooper's Harmon Kardon sound system
E60 Logic 7
Lexus IS Mark Levinson
Old 06-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

My RX 300 is year 1999, and yes, the stereo is way more relaxed and natural sounding than this Logic 7. Better presence and "jamming" factor.

In my experience, Harmon Kardon and Bose are among the worst sounding brands, probably because they try for audiophile artifacts: exaggerated mid-bass "humps" and overly bright, metallic upper-mids and highs. Consumers making a decision in a showroom might be quick to mistake these symptoms for good sound, only to experience fatigue on longer listening sessions.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Geno' post='299300' date='Jun 18 2006, 12:07 PM
My RX 300 is year 1999, and yes, the stereo is way more relaxed and natural sounding than this Logic 7. Better presence and "jamming" factor.

In my experience, Harmon Kardon and Bose are among the worst sounding brands, probably because they try for audiophile artifacts: exaggerated mid-bass "humps" and overly bright, metallic upper-mids and highs. Consumers making a decision in a showroom might be quick to mistake these symptoms for good sound, only to experience fatigue on longer listening sessions.
was your '99 lexus system from nakamichi? they were supposed to be really good...

i don't really consider myself at the audiophile level yet, more like an audio enthusiast. i too was pretty disappointed with L7. its just not as clear as i was expecting, given all the positive comments on this forum.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Contributors

I don't think my Lexus has Nakamichi. That was the premium option back then, before they introduced the Levinson system.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Interesting - now I think I made the right decision.

My salesman recommended AGAINST Logic 7 and I went along.

I would agree with Geno that what passes for HiFi (does that word divulge my age ) are extreme bass and very bright highs. That might be fine for rock . . .

However, my tastes run to classical, opera, show tunes and folk.

No, my standard system cannot compare to a superb home stereo - but then home stereos do not have to contend with 65-70 DB background noise.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

We had a RX300 with Nakamichi and the L7 stereo is far better. The only think I knock the L7 for is imaging.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Members

Most cars have audio systems that plainly su.k- they`re so terrible they`re only sable to use with radio. If I want to play music I go down to my stereo setup which squash all standard car systems
Old 06-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Contributors

The one thing that standard car audio has going for it that most home systems don't is that the designer has full knowledge of the user's listening room: its dimensions, materials, construction, damping. The room is the biggest factor once you're into even just decent gear.

These guys have no excuse for poor audio even without high-end materials. And for an extra $1.8k they could offer better gear.

The Logic 7 supposedly has lots of speakers around the cabin but most of the sound seems to emanate from the dash/windshield region, giving it a sound annoyingly reminiscent of the oldest, non-stereo car radios.

Quick Reply: Logic 7 a Step Down?