E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 intermittently losing sound for a few seconds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having this problem since I bought the car 3 years ago, but yesterday it got so bad I decided to look for the problem. Car is 2004 E61 530d with Logic 7:

When driving out of town in hot weather (above 30 degrees Celsius), with the A/C on, the sound of my Logic 7 system would shut off for about 2-3 seconds (and then continue to play), and this would happen every several minutes. This happens the same way with FM and CD, and with different CDs as well.

I have 2 suspisions, with "for" and "against"

1. Logic 7 amplifier.
For: The amplifier gets hot in the trunk and it fans are generally working in such hot weather.
Against: Why would it turn off just for 2-3 secs? Another member recently had an overheating probelm with his "Individual Sound System" amplifier - it would cut off for an hour. There are no other problems with mine whatsoever. Also, removing the side panel of the trunk to ensure cooled air from the interior getting to it (its a Touring) did not lead to any improvement.

2. CIC on its way out.
For: Sometimes in such weather the CIC would totally freeze and the i-Drive knob would turn freely. This is generally a sign of the CIC dying soon (some connections in it get bad after certain amount of high temperature amplitudes).
Against: Why would it do it every several minutes over a 4-hour trip?? I have had this problem for 3 years and the CIC has still not died - this might mean its not the problem. Also, most of the time when the music stops, the i-Drive controller actually does not freeze...

So has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do to narrow it down and hopefully find the culprit?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Why would you have a CIC? Did you do an upgrade to a CIC unit?

So you are in the EU, and I'm not familair with the EU logic 7 setup.
Does the logic 7 amp run all speakers or just the subs?
If it runs subs you should still get sound from other speakers.

When it cuts out you have no time to really check to see what the problem is!
If the problem is overheating, then it would take more than 2-3 seconds for sure.

So do you hit bumps or have the music up at a certain volume when this happens?
I would like to help but I don't have all the facts and there must be commonalities to find the solution other than blaming the CIC/CCC/M-ASK

Just curious have you ever tried a hard reboot ?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Senior Members

Sorry I have no idea how I mixed this up - of course I have a CCC!!

There is no specific sound level, or any bumps that I hit, and it happens with FM and CD equally.

Meanwhile on an European forum the finger was quite unanimously pointed at the MULF module, responsible for the Bluetooth and Voice Control functions. Apparently it causes this kind of problems quite often.

First step will be to find where in the trunk it sits, and try to run it a bit cooler, and if that does not work, I would either replace it, or upgrade to MULF2 High, which will add USB and Aux-In. It won't be cheap at ca. $1000, so I have to decide how much I need USB and Aux-In.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The MULF is located in the boot on the driver's side wheel. Take the boot panels apart to discover it.
Remember it's not guaranteed yet that this is the problem though!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 07/04 E61 530d Auto, black sapphire, black nasca leather with anthracite trim, nav pro, LOGIC 7, TV, head-up, bluetooth preparation, voice input, ventilated and heated Comfort Seats, rear seat heating, heated sport steering wheel, panorama glass sunroof, alarm, PDC, adaptative xenon, dynamic drive, active steering, universal door opener, extended lights, auto-dimming mirrors, trailer tow hitch, roller sunblinds, 17'' Style 122

I have a 2004 E61 530d with LOGIC7 with exactly the same problem and it's definitely the bluetooth module overheating.
This only happens when the temperatures outside are high, so it happens mostly in the summer.
I tried leaving the MULF box open and adding some alu heat dissipators but it only alleviates the problem, sooner or later it starts to overheat.
My temporary solution was to disconnect it from the MOST bus using a loop connector.

Does anyone know if the MULF2 module will work with this car and if it needs any recoding?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Members

Mmitev,
Sorry for bringing up old thread. Did you resolve the problem with sound shut off. I have similar behavior but for a longer duration of time (10-20 sec).
Thanks