E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 : it beats!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='May 10 2005, 05:55 PM
[quote name='phototalk123' date='May 10 2005, 03:51 PM'][quote name='PASQUALE' date='May 10 2005, 06:46 PM']DVD Audio??!! That's something good?
[snapback]126772[/snapback]
DVD Audio is multi-chanel audio. It was recorded in 5.1 recording.
All channels has their own discrete info.
[snapback]126775[/snapback]
[/quote]

But as great as it sounds audio DVDs have limited selections. The crossover system in L7 provides a great system for regular CDs
[snapback]126777[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, 5.1 for the car (including discrete steering logic like Logic 7 and Dolby Pro Logic 2 that turn stereo into 5.1) - I'm not really convinced the center channel idea should necessarily be applied to an automobile, but that's just me.

I've been a multichannel DVD-Audio, SACD, and PLII person for many years on my home system, and while these are great formats it can be murder getting them calibrated. I'm not so sure the full benefit of these formats can be fully enjoyed in cars, but it's nice to have it anyway.

I like my L7 equipped E60 anyway
Old 05-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 10 2005, 06:13 PM
I thought the $2000 Nakamichi system in my GS400 was good too until I went over to the local high-end audio shop one day and asked for a demo of an aftermarket system. There is absolutely no comparison. If you've never been in a car with a decent (> $2500) aftermarket system, you have know idea what you're missing. I know I didn't.
[snapback]126799[/snapback]
The stock sound system can never be compared to an aftermarket system.

Does anyone know if there is any way to upgrade / improve on the L7? I have been searching the net but cannot find anything related to the Harmon Kardon. Can anyone assist?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='May 10 2005, 04:12 PM
Great stock system, but.............The Mark Levinson in my Lexus is pretty good too.? No EQ so I like L7 better, but it is very close.
[snapback]126781[/snapback]
Always thought that the Nakamichi in my wife's Lexus was as good as it gets for an OEM system until I heard the Logic 7 in the 530i. The additional "air" and soundstage of the DSP-based Logic 7 system makes the Nak seem bland in comparison. Very happy that I chose the Logic 7 option in my 2005 530i.

Martin
Old 05-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I'm really happy with my L7 too, but I agree it's a shame that it so difficult to change or upgrade the system for those owners who want to push the boat out on the audio front.

My only issue with the E60 audio has been the level of bass you can hear from outside the car. I noticed it first when I was cleaning the car and had the audio on - you really can hear a huge amount bass from outside the car (which I guess is the twin subs under the seats doing their stuff) even though it sounds just great from the inside. Passers by must think that all E60 owners have had their audio systems installed by the same guy that does all the "pimp my ride" 1985 Honda Civics round our way.........
Old 05-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' date='May 10 2005, 11:56 PM
I'm really happy with my L7 too,? but I agree it's a shame that it so difficult to change or upgrade the system for those owners who want to push the boat out on the audio front.? ?

My only issue with the E60 audio has been the level of bass you can hear from outside the car.? I noticed it first when I was cleaning the car and had the audio on - you really can hear a huge amount bass from outside the car (which I guess is the twin subs under the seats doing their stuff) even though it sounds just great from the inside.? Passers by must think that all E60 owners have had their audio systems installed by the same guy that does all the "pimp my ride" 1985 Honda Civics round our way.........
[snapback]126837[/snapback]

Agreed but this is not the car's fault. It sounds clean and you play it loud. We all now the sound deadening in an E60 is phenomenal.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

I love the Logic 7 audio as well by far the best stock sound system period. I just wish that I knew more about how an equalizer works so I could mess with it.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The Logic 7 is an excellent system by OEM standards..... but not an excellent system by high-end standards.

There is tremendous distortion on the Logic 7, and the soundproofing of the E60 cabin is almost non-existent. You can hear more music outside the vehicle with the Logic 7 playing at low volume than you could compared to my 1800 watt aftermarket system in my old Lexus playing at full tilt. Obviously, this was because I spent a week sound dampening the Lexus.... but still.... there's WAY too much sound leakage outside our E60s. I can't stand when people can hear my music while waiting next to me at a traffic light.

Unfortunately, sound dampening means increased weight. This is partly the reason why we don't have excellent sound dampening on BMW cars. The manufacturer is more interested in driving performance than reducing sound between inside vs. outside.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I love the Logic 7 audio as well by far the best stock sound system period. I just wish that I knew more about how an equalizer works so I could mess with it.

There's two general methods for adjusting an EQ:

1. RTA meter (objective)

2. Personal preference (subjective)

An RTA meter is a piece of audio gear which shows the frequency response curve for your system. (ie.. how good your system is at producing all the different frequencies of the human hearing range 20 Hz - 20 kHz) Test signals such as white noise & pink noise are used with the RTA meter to determine this.

While the RTA meter can be used to set a perfectly flat response curve... this setup does not always sound best to everyone. So the other method is to use your own ears to adjust to your preference.

Of course, EQ settings must vary with the source of the music. One CD may be recorded bass-heavy.... another won't be. So one EQ setting is not a cure-all solution.

In audio competition we use both EQ tuning methods (RTA & by ear) to set our cars up before a show. The cars that win will have great sound to the ear.... but also a smooth transition between the frequency bands. (ie no sharp peaks or dips in the RTA meter response curve)
Old 05-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='May 11 2005, 09:01 AM

There's two general methods for adjusting an EQ:

1. RTA meter (objective)

2. Personal preference (subjective)

An RTA meter is a piece of audio gear which shows the frequency response curve for your system. (ie.. how good your system is at producing all the different frequencies of the human hearing range 20 Hz - 20 kHz) Test signals such as white noise & pink noise are used with the RTA meter to determine this.

While the RTA meter can be used to set a perfectly flat response curve... this setup does not always sound best to everyone. So the other method is to use your own ears to adjust to your preference.

Of course, EQ settings must vary with the source of the music. One CD may be recorded bass-heavy.... another won't be. So one EQ setting is not a cure-all solution.

In audio competition we use both EQ tuning methods (RTA & by ear) to set our cars up before a show. The cars that win will have great sound to the ear.... but also a smooth transition between the frequency bands. (ie no sharp peaks or dips in the RTA meter response curve)
[snapback]126948[/snapback]
Cool Nice To Know I think it would be good if in an IDrive update they could make it where you could have saved EQ settings for different types of music and CD, Sat Radio, etc.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='May 10 2005, 04:13 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='May 10 2005, 05:55 PM'][quote name='phototalk123' date='May 10 2005, 03:51 PM'][quote name='PASQUALE' date='May 10 2005, 06:46 PM']DVD Audio??!! That's something good?
[snapback]126772[/snapback]
DVD Audio is multi-chanel audio. It was recorded in 5.1 recording.
All channels has their own discrete info.
[snapback]126775[/snapback]
[/quote]

But as great as it sounds audio DVDs have limited selections. The crossover system in L7 provides a great system for regular CDs
[snapback]126777[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, 5.1 for the car (including discrete steering logic like Logic 7 and Dolby Pro Logic 2 that turn stereo into 5.1) - I'm not really convinced the center channel idea should necessarily be applied to an automobile, but that's just me.

I've been a multichannel DVD-Audio, SACD, and PLII person for many years on my home system, and while these are great formats it can be murder getting them calibrated. I'm not so sure the full benefit of these formats can be fully enjoyed in cars, but it's nice to have it anyway.

I like my L7 equipped E60 anyway
[snapback]126800[/snapback]
[/quote]

DVD Audio isn't just about 6 channel sound-- it has a much higher bit density and doesn't suffer from the compression distortion that you get from conventional CDs. I have an Acura TL with DVD audio and the channel seperation is fine, but the main benefits are clarity and dynamic range. If you haven't heard it, you should try it sometime.

Quick Reply: Logic 7 : it beats!