E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 bass & treble vs eq.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Ok so my question is:

Lets say I love bass and I have the low frequencies all tthe way up in EQ. Will I get EVEN MORE bass if I raise the Bass setting?

Gotta go test it out later...
Old 12-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='208347' date='Dec 7 2005, 12:04 PM
After driving this car for over a year I just decided to adjust the bass and treble ( I turned them all the way up). I always thought that it was just an easier to use eq. and that if you adjusted them the system would not apply the eq. settings. The sound is way better with the bass & treb. turned up and the eq. adjusted.

This is nonsense. All you are doing is raising the effective volume. It's the same thing as turning the EQ settings all to max. You might as well just turn up your volume instead. It's the same thing.

The point of having independent control over different frequency bands in an EQ is to allow certain frequencies to be boosted/cut more than others. If you turn them all up to max, then you are boosting everything by the same amount... which is the exact same thing as leaving it flat, and turning up the volume.

Same is true for Bass/Treb controls. Those are just a less precise form of Equalizer... that's all.

Bass/Treb controls are basically for people who never turn the volume up very high at all. It's similar to the Loudness feature found on many portable music devices, like CD Walkmen. It boosts the bass ranges so that when you listen at low volume, there is a relative boost in the low-end which adds presence. But if you are listening at high volume, you want to avoid the Loudness feature... as it is no longer necessary when you turn up the volume to a good, loud level.
But, all he said was "the sound is way better with the bass & treb. turned up and the eq. adjusted." Just an opinion/preference right? Still, he indicates that the equalizer and the bass/treble work simultaneously. I am going to try what he says and see what happens.

"Nonsense," (the idea, for example, that something written is foolish or ridiculous) might be a tad strong here. How, about "I am not sure that what you said makes sense." This approach is kinder. It's just a suggeston, and I mean no offense. I am running for office on the politeness and respect among our members ticket.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

Originally Posted by vnod' post='208375
After driving this car for over a year I just decided to adjust the bass and treble ( I turned them all the way up). I always thought that it was just an easier to use eq. and that if you adjusted them the system would not apply the eq. settings. The sound is way better with the bass & treb. turned up and the eq. adjusted.

This is nonsense. All you are doing is raising the effective volume. It's the same thing as turning the EQ settings all to max. You might as well just turn up your volume instead. It's the same thing.

The point of having independent control over different frequency bands in an EQ is to allow certain frequencies to be boosted/cut more than others. If you turn them all up to max, then you are boosting everything by the same amount... which is the exact same thing as leaving it flat, and turning up the volume.

Same is true for Bass/Treb controls. Those are just a less precise form of Equalizer... that's all.

Bass/Treb controls are basically for people who never turn the volume up very high at all. It's similar to the Loudness feature found on many portable music devices, like CD Walkmen. It boosts the bass ranges so that when you listen at low volume, there is a relative boost in the low-end which adds presence. But if you are listening at high volume, you want to avoid the Loudness feature... as it is no longer necessary when you turn up the volume to a good, loud level.
But, all he said was "the sound is way better with the bass & treb. turned up and the eq. adjusted." Just an opinion/preference right? Still, he indicates that the equalizer and the bass/treble work simultaneously. I am going to try what he says and see what happens.

"Nonsense," (the idea, for example, that something written is foolish or ridiculous) might be a tad strong here. How, about "I am not sure that what you said makes sense." This approach is kinder. It's just a suggeston, and I mean no offense. I am running for office on the politeness and respect among our members ticket.
[/quote]
well said bro!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='208364' date='Dec 7 2005, 01:19 PM
I had a friend of mine configure my setting since I'm not a audio fanatic (he is). He spend about 1.5 hours in my car trying to get the best sound (to his ears and experience) . He said that the Logic 7 lacks some other crucial setting as 150mhs, etc. He did what he could and Very happy with the results. For the record he has an E39 with an upgraded stero system and speakers(cross overs, 2 amplifiers, etc,etc)

So get a friend that knows this stuff and ask him to tune it for you....

could you post the settings on your 550i Logic & EQ and bass etc etc etc so i can try it in my 530i?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Simple1' post='208524
Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='208347' date='Dec 7 2005, 12:04 PM

well said bro!
[/quote]
Thanks S1.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Senior Members

get a room fellas

Old 12-08-2005, 05:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by browellm' post='208627' date='Dec 8 2005, 04:52 AM
get a room fellas

when you partner. Or, get ready to slap leather. Uh oh. Now what have I said?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Can turning up the volume too loud, or adjusting the equalizer settings too high, cause damage to the speakers. Or does the system have a cut off if its too loud. I find that sometimes, I would like to turn it up and it sounds like it can handle it, but I am afraid of damaging the system?

What matters is the quality of your source material. Not all CDs are mastered at the same volumes levels. Some mastering studios will compress/limit the hell out of the music before they make the final cut... some do this more than others. So no 2 CDs you buy in a store will ever be the same volume level.

For example, I do not listen to very many store purchased CDs. I am a DJ in my free time, and I record my own mix CDs at home from vinyl. I do not compress or limit my audio, and I have very high sound quality, but at lower recorded volumes. So when I play one of my CDs in my car... I turn the volume all the way up. I get no distortion.

If I were to play a store purchased CD, however.... I might not be able to play that at full volume, because the CD will likely have been compressed and limited all to hell... making it sound louder... when in fact what has been done is the dynamic range of the music has been compromised for loudness. So playing a CD such as this at full tilt may very easily damage your speakers.

You see.... the human ear is a very interesting thing.... humans perceive "loudness" as the Average Volume of a sound... not the Peak Intensity. (RMS vs. Peak) So just because one sound may have louder peaks for short instants... if another sound has a higher RMS level, you will perceive that as being louder.

When a studio compresses audio, they are basically increasing the lower level portions of the sound to bring them closer to the peaks.... thereby increasing the average output, and hence.. raising the perceived volume to a human ear. What is lost, however... is dynamic range. Dynamic range is the difference between the highest peaks, and the lowest level sounds in a recording.

All you can do is use your ears. If it sounds distorted, you'll be able to tell... so turn it down if that happens.

Also... if you are using the Logic 7 processing, listen for artifacts. The Logic 7 processing quality is piss poor, and adds all sorts of artifacts to the sound. I notice this a lot with the styles of music I listen to, because it often has very quiet passages with deep, atmospheric sounds layered over... so its easier to hear the shortcomings of a stereo.

I still use the Concert setting, regardless. It's the only way I can get a satisfactory frontal image.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='208704' date='Dec 8 2005, 09:53 AM
Can turning up the volume too loud, or adjusting the equalizer settings too high, cause damage to the speakers. Or does the system have a cut off if its too loud. I find that sometimes, I would like to turn it up and it sounds like it can handle it, but I am afraid of damaging the system?

What matters is the quality of your source material. Not all CDs are mastered at the same volumes levels. Some mastering studios will compress/limit the hell out of the music before they make the final cut... some do this more than others. So no 2 CDs you buy in a store will ever be the same volume level.

For example, I do not listen to very many store purchased CDs. I am a DJ in my free time, and I record my own mix CDs at home from vinyl. I do not compress or limit my audio, and I have very high sound quality, but at lower recorded volumes. So when I play one of my CDs in my car... I turn the volume all the way up. I get no distortion.

If I were to play a store purchased CD, however.... I might not be able to play that at full volume, because the CD will likely have been compressed and limited all to hell... making it sound louder... when in fact what has been done is the dynamic range of the music has been compromised for loudness. So playing a CD such as this at full tilt may very easily damage your speakers.

You see.... the human ear is a very interesting thing.... humans perceive "loudness" as the Average Volume of a sound... not the Peak Intensity. (RMS vs. Peak) So just because one sound may have louder peaks for short instants... if another sound has a higher RMS level, you will perceive that as being louder.

When a studio compresses audio, they are basically increasing the lower level portions of the sound to bring them closer to the peaks.... thereby increasing the average output, and hence.. raising the perceived volume to a human ear. What is lost, however... is dynamic range. Dynamic range is the difference between the highest peaks, and the lowest level sounds in a recording.

All you can do is use your ears. If it sounds distorted, you'll be able to tell... so turn it down if that happens.

Also... if you are using the Logic 7 processing, listen for artifacts. The Logic 7 processing quality is piss poor, and adds all sorts of artifacts to the sound. I notice this a lot with the styles of music I listen to, because it often has very quiet passages with deep, atmospheric sounds layered over... so its easier to hear the shortcomings of a stereo.

I still use the Concert setting, regardless. It's the only way I can get a satisfactory frontal image.

Well said!

I have to agree. The Logic 7 is not worth the $2,000 IMO
Old 12-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='208982' date='Dec 8 2005, 07:13 PM
Well said!

I have to agree. The Logic 7 is not worth the $2,000 IMO
Personally I don't agree. L7 sounds good enough to me and BMW don't offer anything better so I went with the premium audio. Without it you also lose a few speakers (subs plus center) and the disc changer.

Quick Reply: Logic 7 bass & treble vs eq.