E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Logic 7 bass & treble vs eq.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

After driving this car for over a year I just decided to adjust the bass and treble ( I turned them all the way up). I always thought that it was just an easier to use eq. and that if you adjusted them the system would not apply the eq. settings. The sound is way better with the bass & treb. turned up and the eq. adjusted.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by VTbound' post='208315' date='Dec 7 2005, 10:51 AM
After driving this car for over a year I just decided to adjust the bass and treble ( I turned them all the way up). I always thought that it was just an easier to use eq. and that if you adjusted them the system would not apply the eq. settings. The sound is way better with the bass & treb. turned up and the eq. adjusted.
I will try what you suggest. Are you sure you can't get the same result with just the equalizer? And, I also thought the bass/treble adjustments would be nixed using the equalizer. I always set mine to neutral though to be sure. I also would be interested in how you are defining "better." There, of couse, is the way the music was intended to sound and then there are the exaggerated versions. But, often it is not so easy to know how the music was intended to sound. To allow for road noise and to provide a bit more bass, I adjust my equalizer to resemble a flattened U-shape. Generally, I can't say, for sure, that adding bass reflects the recorders intentions.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

I also had mine set to neutral and also had a "flattened u" eq setting. the bass and treble are independent of the eq settings and in my opinion increasing them greatly improves the quality of the sound. I know that this is subjective but nevertheless it gives you more control of the sound.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by VTbound' post='208327' date='Dec 7 2005, 11:05 AM
I also had mine set to neutral and also had a "flattened u" eq setting. the bass and treble are independent of the eq settings and in my opinion increasing them greatly improves the quality of the sound. I know that this is subjective but nevertheless it gives you more control of the sound.
Cool, I am going to try your suggestion.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

This is nonsense. All you are doing is raising the effective volume. It's the same thing as turning the EQ settings all to max. You might as well just turn up your volume instead. It's the same thing.

The point of having independent control over different frequency bands in an EQ is to allow certain frequencies to be boosted/cut more than others. If you turn them all up to max, then you are boosting everything by the same amount... which is the exact same thing as leaving it flat, and turning up the volume.

Same is true for Bass/Treb controls. Those are just a less precise form of Equalizer... that's all.

Bass/Treb controls are basically for people who never turn the volume up very high at all. It's similar to the Loudness feature found on many portable music devices, like CD Walkmen. It boosts the bass ranges so that when you listen at low volume, there is a relative boost in the low-end which adds presence. But if you are listening at high volume, you want to avoid the Loudness feature... as it is no longer necessary when you turn up the volume to a good, loud level.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Contributors

This is nonsense. All you are doing is raising the effective volume. It's the same thing as turning the EQ settings all to max. You might as well just turn up your volume instead. It's the same thing.[quote]
Try it first then opine. In any case it is certainly not nonsense.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='208347' date='Dec 7 2005, 05:04 PM

This is nonsense. All you are doing is raising the effective volume. It's the same thing as turning the EQ settings all to max. You might as well just turn up your volume instead. It's the same thing.

The point of having independent control over different frequency bands in an EQ is to allow certain frequencies to be boosted/cut more than others. If you turn them all up to max, then you are boosting everything by the same amount... which is the exact same thing as leaving it flat, and turning up the volume.

Same is true for Bass/Treb controls. Those are just a less precise form of Equalizer... that's all.

Bass/Treb controls are basically for people who never turn the volume up very high at all. It's similar to the Loudness feature found on many portable music devices, like CD Walkmen. It boosts the bass ranges so that when you listen at low volume, there is a relative boost in the low-end which adds presence. But if you are listening at high volume, you want to avoid the Loudness feature... as it is no longer necessary when you turn up the volume to a good, loud level.

I agree.

And the bottom line is by using an eq/bass/treble controls you are adding artificial colouration to the sound. Unless the source material is deficient in some way the most natural setting is to leave everything flat. I would like to have seen an option to switch out the eq. circuit altogther for the purist, but maybe it soesn't make a huge difference in the car environment.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

To my mind you should do whatever sounds good to you. If you like it, and to your ears the changes you make improve your listening experience, then surely it isn't nonsense.

Raises a couple of questions, though. Re the EQ, does that boost only the specific frequencies that are adjustable? If it does, then how can raising them equally be the same as adjusting the volume? There is a 10K cutoff so what about the other frequencies above/below the adjustable frequencies? Also, what about those that are in between the ones that are specifically adjustable using the EQ? Volume adjustment would surely increase sound pressure levels over all of the reproduced sound whereas the EQ would seem to be intended to boost or reduce specific frequency bands. If you boost all the EQ to the same level how does that impact the non-adjustable frequencies?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Can turning up the volume too loud, or adjusting the equalizer settings too high, cause damage to the speakers. Or does the system have a cut off if its too loud. I find that sometimes, I would like to turn it up and it sounds like it can handle it, but I am afraid of damaging the system?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

I had a friend of mine configure my setting since I'm not a audio fanatic (he is). He spend about 1.5 hours in my car trying to get the best sound (to his ears and experience) . He said that the Logic 7 lacks some other crucial setting as 150mhs, etc. He did what he could and Very happy with the results. For the record he has an E39 with an upgraded stero system and speakers(cross overs, 2 amplifiers, etc,etc)

So get a friend that knows this stuff and ask him to tune it for you....

Quick Reply: Logic 7 bass & treble vs eq.