E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked Keys in TRUNK!! CRAPPP

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I let someone get something out of my trunk of my 04 530i and they placed the keys in the trunk and forgot about them. Car was already locked they used the trunk button to open it so doors and trunk are locked now as well once the trunk was shut closed. I called BMW Roadside they said the only way is to tow the car and have them do it at the stealership. AAA cant do much since trunk button wont open once as the car is locked and the alarm will engage anyways. I called the locksmith but they told me they cannot gurantee me 100% that they can open it and it will cost 250$. They were going to try to open the doors first then the trunk but I told them it wouldnt work that way? Right???

Worst part is I am 700 miles away from home where my spare key is (was on roadtrip)

Anyone ever been in this situation???

Should I just have the spare key overnighted to me, (be here by Tuesday)

Any other ways to get into the trunk??? PM so that its not revealed on here thanksss..
Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2010

Do you have the BMW remote App for the iPhone or android?? Maybe you can download that and get it to work thru BMW assist.
YOu can unlock your car thru that. Not sure if it is supported in your year or not
Old 06-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

i did that last time, but my sunroof was open. Used a pole to hit the center consult button to unlock the doors then opened the doors that way. BMW wanted $100+ to open it.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Members

BMW Assist/ Remote Unlock wont work on my car I do not suscribe to it. Also it as an 2004 so doubt the Apps would work with it. My sunroof is closed as well but wouldnt the alarm go on if the doors are locked and you try to open it from the inside???? I know it has before when I open it from the inside with the windows down etc..

Anyone with any more info please?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

you don't have to have to be a subscriber, just pay the amount for not being one.

my alarm went off, but i popped the trunk and turned it off with the key. It didn't lock up on me vs what I heard it would. Maybe i got lucky

what BMW can also do is send a guy down that is certified that can open the door then bmw assist can remote disable the car from locking up so you can open your trunk

http://forums.5serie...s-in-the-trunk/
Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s.aspx?panel=5
Sounds like remote unlock won't work for the OP. Only E60's with a build date of 9/06 or after if I read this correctly.

If you can stay where you are for an extra night just overnight the spare. Probably the cheapest solution.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d1noo
Well I let someone get something out of my trunk of my 04 530i and they placed the keys in the trunk and forgot about them. Car was already locked they used the trunk button to open it so doors and trunk are locked now as well once the trunk was shut closed. I called BMW Roadside they said the only way is to tow the car and have them do it at the stealership. AAA cant do much since trunk button wont open once as the car is locked and the alarm will engage anyways. I called the locksmith but they told me they cannot gurantee me 100% that they can open it and it will cost 250$. They were going to try to open the doors first then the trunk but I told them it wouldnt work that way? Right???

Worst part is I am 700 miles away from home where my spare key is (was on roadtrip)

Anyone ever been in this situation???

Should I just have the spare key overnighted to me, (be here by Tuesday)

Any other ways to get into the trunk??? PM so that its not revealed on here thanksss..

Sorry I have no help for this situation.
But for future, tie wrap an extra key (can be valet wallet key or regular key without chip) somewhere on the rear suspension as a backup.
This saved me once far from home.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I know another way that will require glass breaking and your insurance coverage. But that's just me.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Members

Whewwww, it went way smoother than what everyone else stated. Guy came out and did the regular wedging the door and opening the door handle and the car opened. Then the trunk popped open and I then disabled the alarm with the key just like any other car. Its ridiciolus how even BMW doesnt know their own cars man and people will try to rip you off any chance they get. Lesson learned dont give your keys to anyone
Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 AM
New Members

Glad you got it resolved quickly but why would the lockout guy charge 250 when most calls are 100 or so. I may need to get AAA again as Ive only got one key and think about every time I go to lock the car. Look down in my hand to triple check that I have the key even though Im using the remote to lock it. Now onto my search as to why car smelled like it was overheating last night.

Quick Reply: Locked Keys in TRUNK!! CRAPPP