E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Listen to this Runflat Nightmare..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not posted in quite some time but this one is a good one.

I took my car in today for a tire issue. I had my first set of runflats replaced about a year ago. When they replaced them I did not want the runflats but was told I had no choice. I was also told that is there was any other issues they would take care of it. Well today I was called by the dealer only for him to tell me I needed new tires. I directed him to the service bulletin which outlines the replacement of the runflats. I was told that my issue was exactly as the service bulletin outlines but that they will not warranty a second set. When I asked why I was told.... get ready.. "because". Of course I asked " because why" and asked him where on the service bulletin is states this. I was basically told to pick up my car or buy new tires. When I told them I did not feel safe driving the car and wanted something in writing stating it was safe to drive they told be "no way". So I called BMW NA and spoke to some jerk named Jeremy who basically told me the same thing. Even worst he had a piss poor attitude. I finally called Dunlap and told them the issues I was having and they asked that I bring the car to the local dealer. 3 hours later I received a call letting me know they were addressing the issue and that they would be warrantying the tires.

I was actually looking at and M5 but I hate BMW Service and the BMW NA group. The last time my car was in they put 5, yes 5 computers in the car and stated they were all bad. Finally I had a friend make some calls and it turned out they were programming them wrong.

I would expect that when you spend 50000 on a car that simple service would not be an issue...
Old 03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

What problems are you having with your runflats? I'm a new owner and, so far, my only complaint is the harsher ride. Are you tires cupping?

Originally Posted by strobeguy' post='397383' date='Mar 1 2007, 05:22 PM

I took my car in today for a tire issue. I had my first set of runflats replaced about a year ago. When they replaced them I did not want the runflats but was told I had no choice. I was also told that is there was any other issues they would take care of it. Well today I was called by the dealer only for him to tell me I needed new tires. I directed him to the service bulletin which outlines the replacement of the runflats. I was told that my issue was exactly as the service bulletin outlines but that they will not warranty a second set. When I asked why I was told.... get ready.. "because". Of course I asked " because why" and asked him where on the service bulletin is states this. I was basically told to pick up my car or buy new tires. When I told them I did not feel safe driving the car and wanted something in writing stating it was safe to drive they told be "no way". So I called BMW NA and spoke to some jerk named Jeremy who basically told me the same thing. Even worst he had a piss poor attitude. I finally called Dunlap and told them the issues I was having and they asked that I bring the car to the local dealer. 3 hours later I received a call letting me know they were addressing the issue and that they would be warrantying the tires.

I was actually looking at and M5 but I hate BMW Service and the BMW NA group. The last time my car was in they put 5, yes 5 computers in the car and stated they were all bad. Finally I had a friend make some calls and it turned out they were programming them wrong.

I would expect that when you spend 50000 on a car that simple service would not be an issue...
Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by strobeguy' post='397383' date='Mar 1 2007, 08:22 PM
I finally called Dunlap and told them the issues I was having and they asked that I bring the car to the local dealer. 3 hours later I received a call letting me know they were addressing the issue and that they would be warrantying the tires.
Good for you! This may be local BMW dealer hesitation, and/or a sign that BMWNA is finally washing its hands of Dunlop crap. Not sure which, but you seem to be satisfied. My dealer was only concerned about verifiable mileage (no sweat with snow season tires) and they replaced them promptly last summer. However, they did scratch one wheel significantly.

Multiply this by thousands across the country, and it doesn't surprise me that BMW might be getting short on patience. Yet, they still spec the same crap replacement! Hotel California Tires!

Cheers,
Ray
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Members

BMW UK do not even accept that there is a problem with Dunlop runflats. Neither do Dunlop. They claim to never have heard of the problem. Hows that for XXXX service. Global brand, smalltown attitude to service.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Members

What are the problems you are having with the tires?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by enelrojo' post='397512' date='Mar 2 2007, 05:40 AM
What are the problems you are having with the tires?
The problem i had was 'feathering' on edges of all 4 tyres, tracking & pressures 100% correct. After aroung 7000 miles the tyre roar was unbearable. They only lasted around 10000 miles ( I drive carefully, not a heavy right foot ). I have always got 25000 miles out of tyres on all cars I have owned in 30 years of motoring. ?900 every 10000 miles for tyres is not sustainable.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

There seems to be an issue with Dunlop, RFT or not. I had Dunlop fitted on a E46 once and they didn't last long, especially during the last year they started to become quite noisy. When I got my current E91 I discussed the tyre issue with my Rep and he ackowledge that there had been issues with Dunlop tyres.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

The solution is very simple. Do not install Dunlop tires !
Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by strobeguy' post='397383' date='Mar 1 2007, 08:22 PM

I'm glad you got your problem resolved. Simple solution for the future, change dealers, they don't sound to swift. I had the same tire problem, as so many others do, and my dealer JMK changed the tires without any hassle. One guy posted that he is on his third set all for the same problem, wear and noise. Whats the name of your dealer so others can stay away from them? Love my RFT's.
cheers
vern
Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW.Aaron.TeamF1' post='397525' date='Mar 2 2007, 07:09 AM
The solution is very simple. Do not install Dunlop tires !
That was the answer!. Unfortunately I had to replace all 4 when only 2 were really worn. Pretty costly but well worth it. It just left a bad taste, that BMW NA acknowledge there is a problem & seem to deal with it pretty well on the whole, but BMW UK are ignorant of the problem, or choose to be, to save money ( at the expense of dissatisfied customers who will remember this poor treatment when the time comes to buy a new car . which surely will cost them a lot more in the long term).

Quick Reply: Listen to this Runflat Nightmare..