E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Liqui moly Cera Tec

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54
Default Liqui moly Cera Tec

So.. I wanted to read more about this since my cousin stumbled upon it for his minivan and he's all the rage. My uncle then put some in his Rav4 and he's skeptical yet.. his MPG has gone up significantly so he said.. interesting.

Now I currently use the liqui moly (or lubro moly) as an oil on my N54 and I see no problems as it is. I'm running up the miles on my car 130K or something like that with no issues. I just had the walnut blasting done for preventative maintenance and one coil go out. So.. I'm going to change my plugs soon.

But.. the interesting question is should I use this $30 bottle of stuff to.. gain some MPG? Maybe some more longevity to my aging motor.. or do the normal.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I've used engine restore on older engines that I used to race.. it did quiet the lifters and smoothen engine idle a bit.. but I was also changing the oil very very frequently, ie 3000K or under (or after any race). Now that I'm lazy in my day and commute with the E60 I am running up the oil change intervals to 5-7K. When I got the car years ago I could get 24mpg on the commute to work... now it's at 19.4 (I'm going with the computer calculation which isn't too far off by the actual raw pump calculation). Of course I've done some mods, JB4 etc.. and I drive in sport mode a lot in the local areas so that could affect some things.

I've poured through some threads on various boards with mostly positive results, and some negative results.. although I wouldn't say those necessarily could be pinpointed to this. I guess since I use the liqui moly, and it is a liqui moly additive, I'm more inclined to say it'll mix well.

Anyone actually put this on their N54 with any good (or bad) results?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

In general, BMW and other german companies stress strongly on the additives that are added to their approved oils (LL-01 and LL-04) for BMW. Those additives are specific for your engine. Most Japanese and Korean car manufactures dont have specific oil additives for their engines. Personally it may not be harmful to your engine but i wouldn't put it in a BMW engine especially the complicated N54.

All this is just my opinion, I have no hard proof or experience in the matter.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:33 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

I wouldn't risk engine life for "supposedly" better mileage. Mileage with different oils is more a function of the viscosity range than additives. IOW, you will get better mileage with a 5W30 than a 0W40, but the protection might not be as good and the oil consumption might increase.
Salut, Bob p.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:39 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Thankfully my car does not consume oil.. that is, even with longer oil changes it has never gone the full qt low enough to register. When I first got the car I was using 5w30 but switched shortly after to a 0w40 with the liquimoly.

My thought were.. it is the ceratec product from the same oil company.. this combo if anything would be the best to expect. Not only am I thinking of better mpg, but actual engine life.. ie less friction. Since I couldn't find a thing about this.. I figured I'd ask here.