E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lights on stalks around steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my eyebrows are back on after the last visit to my dealer for re-occuring Battery warning light. Battery was shot after only having the car for 16 months. Now what I am trying to figure out is if the ancillary stalks-turn signal, cruise, wiper stalks are supposed to be lit up when the lights are on. Is it me or do I remember the icons on the stalks lighting up when driving in the dark? They are not now. Did they ever?

New version CIP is 24.1 in the car presently.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Vinman' post='385540' date='Jan 30 2007, 11:41 PM
...Did they ever?
Nope.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

I think it is you... no lighting on stalks (at least on my car - dated April 05)
Old 01-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Vinman' post='385540' date='Jan 30 2007, 10:41 PM
Now what I am trying to figure out is if the ancillary stalks-turn signal, cruise, wiper stalks are supposed to be lit up when the lights are on. Is it me or do I remember the icons on the stalks lighting up when driving in the dark? They are not now. Did they ever?
You were dreaming
(Although it's a nice idea)

BMW don't even bother to illuminate the ventilation turn-wheels... so why would they illuminate icons on the ancillary stalks...
Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385548' date='Jan 30 2007, 10:52 PM
You were dreaming
(Although it's a nice idea)

BMW don't even bother to illuminate the ventilation turn-wheels... so why would they illuminate icons on the ancillary stalks...
That's what's always bugged me as well. After driving 2 previous Audi A6s, this feature was really nice as you do need to adjust them at night as well as day and so why shouldn't they be illuminated? Real penny pinch of BMW IMO :thumbsdown:

Was it always that way with previous 5s ?? - I don't know as this is my first BMW.

I have to say though I do love the car despite my little rantette above.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by dawi' post='385573' date='Jan 31 2007, 12:02 AM
That's what's always bugged me as well. After driving 2 previous Audi A6s, this feature was really nice as you do need to adjust them at night as well as day and so why shouldn't they be illuminated? Real penny pinch of BMW IMO :thumbsdown:
Audi also tend to illuminate ashtrays, armrest compartments, lighter sockets etc.
In fact the quality of their interiors is very impressive in general and shows more attention to detail than many other manufacturers (BMW included).
I agree that it's a shame BMW don't spend the extra few Euro to finish the job as it always feels like they are 'almost' there with fit and finish.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385576' date='Jan 31 2007, 12:11 AM
Audi also tend to illuminate ashtrays, armrest compartments, lighter sockets etc.
In fact the quality of their interiors is very impressive in general and shows more attention to detail than many other manufacturers (BMW included).
I agree that it's a shame BMW don't spend the extra few Euro to finish the job as it always feels like they are 'almost' there with fit and finish.
I used to agree with you on this one and that's part of the reason I drove 2 A6s for 3 years each, a 2000 and 2003 model. Howver, I have to say when I looked at the latest A6 I was not impressed at all by the interior quality. I think Audi have really started to cut the quality in this department. Maybe they realised that they were over-engineering the quality element where others incl. BMW and Mercedes weren't but they were'nt losing sales because of it! Well maybe MB did when they took cost cutting too far!!

The quality of the dash plastics esp. around the dials on the new A6 was very poor IMO. The nice little touches that I had on mine like the fold out twin door bins had gone in favour of a one-piece moulded affair like the E60. I had illuminated red lights on the door jams so that they could be seen easily by oncoming traffic - these had been replaced by cheap red reflectors. Etc, etc.

Still one good thing is that it steered me to the E60 which I now don't regret for a minute, not being a fan of BMWs before - I now am. I just thought the E39 was a tired old design and all series; 3, 5 and 7 were just different size vehicles of the same basic shape and design and back then the A6 was much more avantgarde.

Seems that BMW have taken a tip from Audi about good design and Audi have taken tips from BMW about only going just far enough but not overkill on the little quality touches.....
Old 01-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385548' date='Jan 30 2007, 05:52 PM
BMW don't even bother to illuminate the ventilation turn-wheels...
They used to (E28 or was it E34?) and I miss those too.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='385585' date='Jan 31 2007, 12:51 AM
I used to agree with you on this one and that's part of the reason I drove 2 A6s for 3 years each, a 2000 and 2003 model. Howver, I have to say when I looked at the latest A6 I was not impressed at all by the interior quality. I think Audi have really started to cut the quality in this department. Maybe they realised that they were over-engineering the quality element where others incl. BMW and Mercedes weren't but they were'nt losing sales because of it! Well maybe MB did when they took cost cutting too far!!

The quality of the dash plastics esp. around the dials on the new A6 was very poor IMO. The nice little touches that I had on mine like the fold out twin door bins had gone in favour of a one-piece moulded affair like the E60. I had illuminated red lights on the door jams so that they could be seen easily by oncoming traffic - these had been replaced by cheap red reflectors. Etc, etc.

Still one good thing is that it steered me to the E60 which I now don't regret for a minute, not being a fan of BMWs before - I now am. I just thought the E39 was a tired old design and all series; 3, 5 and 7 were just different size vehicles of the same basic shape and design and back then the A6 was much more avantgarde.

Seems that BMW have taken a tip from Audi about good design and Audi have taken tips from BMW about only going just far enough but not overkill on the little quality touches.....
Interesting views... I am more familiar with the QA level in the A4 and old A6. I did go to see the A6 when it was launched and remember thinking the upper dash plastics looked a bit cheap for an Audi... I must have a closer look at it. It would be a shame if Audi are gone down the same road as the others.

Apart from the fact that Audis just don't drive as well as BMWs, I find their recent designs very 'undynamic'. The A6 looks like a boat, the new TT has totally lost the 'cool factor', the Q7 is just... well... huge and ugly.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385576' date='Jan 31 2007, 12:11 AM
Hey, if they can't be @rsed with the windscreen wipers on RHD cars....

ABC

Quick Reply: Lights on stalks around steering wheel