E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lighting System! Stop carefully

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 520i SE 2.2 Auto

Originally Posted by DrumGuruEC' post='776252' date='Jan 24 2009, 06:20 PM
Hi and welcome! Could be a battery issue. Some of these weird electrical gremlins are intermittent though... have you tried letting the car go to "sleep" for an hour or so and seeing if the problem persists when starting up again? Only other thing I can think of is that you have a failure in your lighting control unit. On these cars your light "switch" isn't really a switch at all. It just sends commands to the lighting control unit to turn lights on and off. Another of the many over-engineered system on our cars... you may need to take it to the dealer! Don't forget to bring your checkbook!!
I think I gave it just about an hour, will try again later/tomorrow.

In November 08, after a (non-car, one-week) holiday, I went to (monthly) check the tyre pressure at the local garage, and left the ignition ON with radio and air-con ON (due to occupants in the car).

When I got back in the car after what must have been 5-10 minutes, I did get a warning about the battery not being sufficiently charged.
Not sure if the alternator was mentioned in the message.
However, I was able to start the car and never saw that message again.

Every now and then I do get no-response when turning the engine ON. I usually start it without getting in the car, just pressing the break pedal with the door open and turning the key (it's an automatic). I give it 5-10 seconds and turn the key again, it then churns away.
Last time this happened was last week, it took me 2-3 attempts to get it going.

However, there were no warnings about the battery charge levels. Isn't the car supposed to alert me in every such scenario (as it did in November) prior to letting electricals fail?
Leaving me with no indicators due to a potentially low-battery is a very dangerous behaviour.
Putting the headlights and rear-fogs permanently ON was a nice touch, I must admit. Had they also left the indicators operational, I would really think about another BMW as my next car
Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, M-Sport Bodykit, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, Active Steering.

Originally Posted by smurf520i' post='776263' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:36 AM
What is a "dinging" noise? I did not hear anything unusual on that drive back and I do have a very sensitive ear when it comes to cars.

I guess parts go faulty when their time comes.
Would the alternator go wrong in a car with 11,500 miles on the clock? Or is it more related to it's age?
My car had done about 35,000 kms when I had to replace the alternator early last year. I received the "Low battery Charge" message as well as multiple mailfunctions including lights, Active Steering, ABS, etc.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 AM
Members

Just checked the battery at my local Kwik-Fit's and I was told it's fine, above average.

So the fault does not appear to be with the battery.

As per the fault message below, does anyone know what "control lights" are? Is that dashboard lights? Nothing in the manual about it.

This is what the fault message says exactly:
"Control lights and possibly turn indicators, fog lights, full beams or headlight flasher defect".

So definitely a fault with "control lights" and possibly others as well (as in my case).

BTW, the fault picture is a lifted car in red colour
Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

The worst thing for a car battery is lack of use. Your car is almost 5 years old and you only have a little over 11k miles on it. I have had battery problems on all of my cars because I don't drive them much, and I put a few more miles per year on them than you do. While that battery might pass a simple test at that shop you mentioned, it still might be bad especially under load, like at night when all the lights are on. Personally, I would consider replacing it anyway, whether it is responsible for your current problems or not.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

I agree with the above advice. My experience is they only last about 4 years max... Not sure how much they'll charge you in the UK, but they cost about $150 USD
Old 01-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Members

Hi chaps,

The problem went away late this afternoon.

Not sure if the following actions have anything to do with it going away or the order in which I did them:

- checked some fuses in the boot, they were irrelevant in terms of functionality, just thought of pressing them in
- checked the lighting and instrument panel fuses again in the glove box, all ok, pressed in place the rest
- lighting fuses, noticed that there were only 2 in locations 5 & 6 (50 AMPs each) and I was missing a 5AMP in location 19 so I added one

I turned the key and everything was normal again.

BTW, I noticed that there were fuses for options (i.e. extras) that my car does not have.
Not sure what the lighting fuse in location 19 is for, it's probably not meant to be there so I may remove it next weekend.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and keep up the good work.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

First welcome ... Hello!

I see from your profile you have a 2004 E60 520i SE 2.2 Auto, from new, 11,500 miles on the clock (Jan 09).

Your battery, if still the original, might be tired out! Has it ever been replaced? A 5 year old battery, especially on a low mileage car may be at the end if its useful life.

If you are not equipped to test your battery you might start with a qualified, independent BMW mechanic; will be cheaper than a trip to the dealer.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Members

Just an update on the battery of my car.
Still factory fitted since 2004 and going strong.
Went to (potentially) buy a new one before last winder's holiday and was told that the battery had enough charge and was not ready to be scrapped.
7.5 years and counting... Although the car only has 20k miles on the clock and garaged.