E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

License plate light malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Cricketts
the wires are damaged or broken at the right trunk arm. open trunk Remove right side panel. look at the wire bundle that goes into the right trunk alarm.
Mine (LED) goes out sometimes. It's not the bulb. It's the wear and tear on the wiring bundle from opening and closing the trunk. Design flaw...Some members posted to just inspect the bundle and re-enforce it with some tape to prevent more fraying of the wiring insulation. Also some have succussfully moved the bundle just enough so that the trunk wont affect it.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Car is under warranty -- Take thee to the dealer before tampering or they can rightfully deny any warranty claim.
That is what I was thinking too...Im just itching to get these LEDs in the car though. Ive read that LEDs wont void warranty but some dealers will do what they can to get around paying. Should I remove the LED AE's? Thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

the wires are damaged or broken at the right trunk arm. open trunk Remove right side panel. look at the wire bundle that goes into the right trunk alarm.
Thanks! Will get it in for service ASAP.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE
How much for the interior lights? i have to get those next and i live in NY and not to far from Motorcepts.
I ordered AE's, Plate Lamps and Interior Package with ALL lights, so Im not sure what the interior package costs exactly. Plus I had Shipping. I would PM John or email the shop at info@motercepts.com. Im sure they can throw those in your car in 10 minutes.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Originally Posted by plowery21
I ordered AE's, Plate Lamps and Interior Package with ALL lights, so Im not sure what the interior package costs exactly. Plus I had Shipping. I would PM John or email the shop at info@motercepts.com. Im sure they can throw those in your car in 10 minutes.

Ok thanks. I installed my LED plate lights last night and i love them. matches my LCI taillights.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by plowery21
That is what I was thinking too...Im just itching to get these LEDs in the car though. Ive read that LEDs wont void warranty but some dealers will do what they can to get around paying. Should I remove the LED AE's? Thanks
You're OK with the updated AE's if they are not throwing any errors. But have the dealer sort out the license plate lighting issue first - then reinstall the LEDs.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
You're OK with the updated AE's if they are not throwing any errors. But have the dealer sort out the license plate lighting issue first - then reinstall the LEDs.
Thanks for the advise. I have a apt tomorrow AM so I will repost what the issue was.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Dealer says it was the bulb connections. Replaced the housings. We will see if that works.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Rez
Members

My Ride: 2021 BMW 540i XDrive Bluestone Metallic on Ivory White Napa Leather. Packages: Executive, M Sport, Parking Assistance, Luxury Seating, Shadowline. Options: M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers, Body Color Rocker Panel Blades and Spoiler, Heated Steering
Model Year: 2021

Cool. Sounds good. Just let it run a few days before reinstalling the LED's.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:39 AM
Contributors

Cool

any further information on this? any photographs on how to remove the panel or what to look for? thanks

Quick Reply: License plate light malfunction