E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License plate light malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Stock lights, I received the Right License Plate Light Malfunction message last week. Looked and the light was out. Started driving again and light came back on only to receive the message again 10 miles later. Days later, I got, Left plate light malfunction. Pulled over, it was out (right was on )...tapped on it, opened trunk and shut...it came back on. Since then I have received the Right message a dozen times. It appears to be down for the count.

Main question - Is this a bulb issue or a wire harness issue? I have ordered the LEDs but if its a wire problem that wont help. So do I need to take it in to BMW under warranty for them to look at, or is this a common occurrence with a bulb failure and the LEDs will be just fine. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Originally Posted by plowery21
Stock lights, I received the Right License Plate Light Malfunction message last week. Looked and the light was out. Started driving again and light came back on only to receive the message again 10 miles later. Days later, I got, Left plate light malfunction. Pulled over, it was out (right was on )...tapped on it, opened trunk and shut...it came back on. Since then I have received the Right message a dozen times. It appears to be down for the count.

Main question - Is this a bulb issue or a wire harness issue? I have ordered the LEDs but if its a wire problem that wont help. So do I need to take it in to BMW under warranty for them to look at, or is this a common occurrence with a bulb failure and the LEDs will be just fine. Thanks for everyone's input.
I just got my LED plate lights in today, cant wait to install them. Replace your lights first, if you still get the message then take it to the dealer. Im assuming you got the error free bulbs?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

These were the stock bulbs that were acting up?

Doesn't sound like a common issue since it's the first time I have heard of it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE
I just got my LED plate lights in today, cant wait to install them. Replace your lights first, if you still get the message then take it to the dealer. Im assuming you got the error free bulbs?
Ordered the LEDs from John @ motorcepts. Was told they were error free. Also getting the interior lights from him as well. UPS tracking says they will be on my doorstep tonight. Will get working on them ASAP.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
These were the stock bulbs that were acting up?

Doesn't sound like a common issue since it's the first time I have heard of it.
Yes, stock bulbs acting up. Thought they were burnt out so I ordered the LEDs, but the behavior of them made me wonder if I need more than new light bulbs.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Rez
Members

My Ride: PHINEASS. 2008 535i Alpine White/ Light Beige Dakota/ Dark Poplar with Sports, Premium, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio, Ipod & USB, Legal Tinted, All Weather Front, Rear and Trunk mats, Detailed and Clay Treated.
Model Year: 2008

That's wierd!

To be on the safe side, since you're still under warranty, I would let the $tealer check out the wiring/ connection/ bulbs before you install the LED's.

I also bought the OEM LED's with the adaptoers from Bruce Miranda. I will install them shortly, since I just passed my warranty period.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Ordered the LEDs from John @ motorcepts. Was told they were error free. Also getting the interior lights from him as well. UPS tracking says they will be on my doorstep tonight. Will get working on them ASAP.

How much for the interior lights? i have to get those next and i live in NY and not to far from Motorcepts.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

the wires are damaged or broken at the right trunk arm. open trunk Remove right side panel. look at the wire bundle that goes into the right trunk alarm.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Cricketts
the wires are damaged or broken at the right trunk arm. open trunk Remove right side panel. look at the wire bundle that goes into the right trunk alarm.
Car is under warranty -- Take thee to the dealer before tampering or they can rightfully deny any warranty claim.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i

ordered by bright white error free lights off ebay. I never had any problems whatsoever.
Try replacing the original bulbs (if you still have) to see if you still have the error message?

Quick Reply: License plate light malfunction