E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Letter to the SA Manager/GM about Power window anti-trap function issu

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

I am contacting you concerning my visit on May 2, 2008 and specifically an issue with a 'Power window anti-trap function alert' and how this fault was troubleshot and diagnosed.

The issue was diagnosed as a necessary software reload to the KBM as documented in SIB 61 20 06 of October 2006 and I was charged 2 hours of labor. Is this software and module any different than the Auxiliary Input Install/Software update I had completed less than 2 months ago at BMW of Arlington? If it is not different, don't I already have this software update in my car? If they are indeed different modules, please move to my next point.

In doing some quick research on the Internet I came across SIB 61 05 03 (025), see the attached document. This SIB gives instructions on how to reinitialize the windows, thus correcting the issue. Why wasn't this simple procedure attempted before moving forward with a major software reload? I would have attempted to this myself before paying for 2 hours of unnecessary labor.

I feel the troubleshooting and diagnosis of this issue was done incorrectly. Can you please provide me with troubleshooting steps taken to support this diagnosis. I feel like I may have been unnecessarily charged for labor on something that could have been easily corrected following the attached SIB. If this is indeed correct, I am requesting a refund for the 2 hours or labor.

Also, another interesting issue. During this visit I had also asked to have the dash center trim piece looked at. The left retaining point had come detached. This could be easily seen just looking at the panel without removing it. I was quoted another 2 hours for that fix. I followed SIB 54 45 380 (attached) and found that the retaining clip was damaged. This took 30 seconds to remove, diagnosis, and correct.

Each of these issues I believe were a rush to judgement. I spoke to another area dealer who immediately suggested a different course of action in troubleshooting the window anti-trap alarm. These issues unfortunately leave me to believe the correct troubleshooting steps are not being done correctly in this or future situations.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'd say you have a good chance of getting a refund but once you do, you should probably change dealers for your servicing needs. Clearly, you found a better one -- the other (no so good) dealer isn't going to change it's ways just because of your issue...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='574437' date='May 5 2008, 11:00 AM
I'd say you have a good chance of getting a refund but once you do, you should probably change dealers for your servicing needs. Clearly, you found a better one -- the other (no so good) dealer isn't going to change it's ways just because of your issue...
Thanks fo the words of encouragement. I'm on the phone with the with the SA manager and it's not looking good.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brianstash' post='574451' date='May 5 2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks fo the words of encouragement. I'm on the phone with the with the SA manager and it's not looking good.
If the GM isn't involved yet, don't give up until he/she is. If, after all of that, they still don't help you out, it'll be that much easier (as well as more rewarding) to walk away from them and take your business elsewhere...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='574453' date='May 5 2008, 08:28 AM
If the GM isn't involved yet, don't give up until he/she is. If, after all of that, they still don't help you out, it'll be that much easier (as well as more rewarding) to walk away from them and take your business elsewhere...

+1, may we know which dealership you are dealing with so other members maybe for-warned...

good luck...hope everything works out...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Members

Ok, just spoke to the SA Manager for about 30 minutes. He explained to me that the window would not and could not initialize. So the option to reinitialize wasn't there. So reloading the software was the next step. The charge was for 1 hour of labor to diagnosis the issue and 1 hour to reload the software.

Is a software reload (whatever module) the fix for anything electrical on these vechicles?

He had no good excuse for the 1.5 hours of labor to fix the dash trim panel.

We went around in circles a little and he knew I wasn't going to change my position on the refund. I really was just trying to be fair. He is going to issue the refund but isn't very happy about it. He made me feel like I shouldn't be asking for a refund. I'm getting the refund but am a little conflicted!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by brianstash' post='574463' date='May 5 2008, 08:52 AM
Ok, just spoke to the SA Manager for about 30 minutes. He explained to me that the window would not and could not initialize. So the option to reinitialize wasn't there. So reloading the software was the next step. The charge was for 1 hour of labor to diagnosis the issue and 1 hour to reload the software.

He had no good excuse for the 1.5 hours of labor to fix the dash trim panel.

We went around in circles a little and he knew I wasn't going to change my position on the refund. I really was just trying to be fair. He is going to issue the refund but isn't very happy about it. He made me feel like I shouldn't be asking for a refund. I'm getting the refund but am a little conflicted!
Good for you, you did the right thing, and in the end it sounds like the dealer did too. You'll never know whether the window explanation was right, but you got something back so I guess that's a reasonable compromise all round.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

...and you still have the option of taking your business elsewhere! You shouldn't have to feel conflicted -- you're the customer and you should be treated better. If the dealer tried to reinitialize the window first without success, that should have been documented on the repair order and/or explained to you at the outset. You shouldn't have had to go through the process you went through to call it to their attention...