E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

let me ask about the title...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.
First of all, i'm a Korean and i came to u.s in 2005. So, i can't describe in english all of my situation but please read my situation and help me.

I'm here in Iowa and i bought used 2004 530 (as my first car in U.S) on june/13 in IL.
I choose gray 530. It was full loaded.. So, i decided to buy this car. i paid $5000 by check then i came back to iowa then i paid $30000 by wire-transfer.(because i don't have SSN)

On that day, i went to IL to pick-up my car by rental car. I had a documents for wire-transfer and bank employee said the documents is enough to pick up my car and also dealer request to me send a fax which is the wire-transfer documents. So, as soon as i send the money, i faxed the documents then i went to there.when i get the store, they said they can't give the car to me because they said, they didn't get the money. I was so angry and tired but i was waited until they get the money.

time goes by, they should close the store. then they said to me, go back to home(takes 4 hours) or stay in hotel then we will pay for you. So, i stayed in motel to pay less money for them.

On next day around 2 p.m they got the money and i got the car. But as soon as i get in the car,
i noticed air-conditioner doesn't work. So, i told that problems to my dealer and he said, go to BMW service center to repair air-conditioner. I was unhappy to go there as soon as buy a car. However, the BMW service technician said " this car had an accidents so, we can't repair this car by under warranty.So, i had to pay money for labor fees ($63.35)

Then, i went to dealer shop again, and i said "i want to refund my money! i don't want to buy car that has been accident." After that, the dealer asked me to get another 530 at another store.(they are big company in IL) I was so tired and i really wanted to go back to my home. So, finally, i accepted it.

However,It does not included Owner's manual, extra keys and less option than previous one. Therefore, i asked to get extra keys and the manual, but dealer said to me " i can't give you extra keys but i'll order the manual then i'll send you. So, don't worry about the manual." (around 8~9p.m) he said.

After i came to home(around 2 am), on next day, i went to DMV to register my car. but i didn't have the title to register.
So, i called to dealer who had my 530 but he said " i don't have the title so call to your dealer then he hang up the phone." Then i called to my dealer who had accidents car. he said" i don't know why he said that i'll make a call to him then i'll call you later."
on next day, i called to dealer. he said" we ( accidents car store and my car store) had misunderstanding each other. so we will send the title in 1~2weeks. So, i said "O.K thank you so much" then i didn't worry about the title.

However, still now i'm waiting the title and i made a call to accident car dealer. he said "call to your car dealer they have the title because the car was at there" he said again like when i first call to him.

then i said again same thing on the above. "they said call to your location..." i said.Then finally he said " oh... it's really strange. i'll call to them then i'll call you soon." But he doesn't call to me until now.
Both of dealer transfer there responsibility.

In short, i need to get the title and motel fees and owner's manual. But anything came to me until now.
If they send only the title, it's ok to me. i'm sooooooo tired to talk with them. not only because of my english ability, but also annoyed.

1.Does anyone know what should i do? or Does anyone can help me to figure it out? i really need a help but i have lack of english skills and i don't have any relationship who well know about this things.

2.Does anyone know how long does it take to get the title if out of state?

3.What if they didn't send the title until register due dates? Do i have to pay penalty for late register?

4.Is it possible to sell a used car without the title in U.S? actually in IL.
Attached Thumbnails let me ask about the title...-p7030064_6221_.jpg  
Old 07-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Dude, sounds like you're in a deep maze. You didn't follow the first rule of commerce, "Pay after you see the merchandise." I would bet the dealer would treat you quite differently if your wire transfer was not made. By transfering the money to them first, you have relieved them from any incentive to help you.

Regarding the title, here in CA, for a used car, you need the title signed by the seller in order to prove the actual transaction.

Good luck in sorting your knots out.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Members

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I can say that I just purchased a used 2006 530i about 3 weeks ago, and I am still waiting for them to send me the title. At first, I was a little suspicious about leaving without the title to the car (since it is a 10 hour drive and out of state), but they said it was for safety reasons until the check cleared. IS THIS STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, OR WAS I MISINFORMED??? Hopefully, I will be getting the title soon. They told me I would get it in a few days, but it has stretched out to 3 weeks now. Good luck man!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 750Li;CLK63 Black Series (Retired);

The headaches behind buying used cars....
My friend, Just find a good lawyer who speaks Korean too. Tell him the facts and your attorney can probably map out a solution. This process can be very easy if you bought the car from a certified BMW center. BMW takes responsibility when it comes to customer satisfaction. Once lawyers get involved they will try and prevent nasty litigations and accommodate you.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:47 PM
JDN
Contributors

Titles can be slow to transfer under more honorable conditions that the mess you have been dealing with. I bought a Honda Odyssey for my wife on May 30 and as of today, July 7 we have not received the title. If you have a bill of sale, you will eventually get a title. You might take the bill of sale to the county automobile registration office and see if they will issue you a title. They might get involved with the two dealers on your behalf.