E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Left Tail Lamp Failure" etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my car got hit with 2 error messages today 2004 525i. The first was "Left Tail Lamp Failure" and I checked out all the bulbs, pressed the brakes, reverse lights, signals everything is working properly. Sometimes the error comes on when I turn on the car and sometimes it doesnt. Does anyone have any idea how to deal with this?

And the second error was a "Passenger Rest- System" and made my airbag light come up on my dash as well. Now I did some research and found out that BMW had a recall for this in August 13, 2008, so I can just call up my dealer and have them take care of it free of charge correct? My car is out of warranty.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Members

I have 2 similar error messages on my 2004 545i ------ right AND left tail lamp failures.
For each rear light cluster there are 3 tail lights / brake lights----- the inboard one in the "circular" area and 2 more in the outboard area----
in my case the "middle" bulb has gone---- no lighting as tail lamps or brake lamps.

The outboard ones still work, so I just have to replace the bulbs.

Check again, as it may be an intermittant problem, but you'll likely need to replace some blown bulbs.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

try to turn on the car for 5 minutes, and turn it off, immediately take out the bulb that fail, and put it back instantly with a hard press. Turn the car on again see if that fix the error
Old 08-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

My driver-side reverse lamp goes off sometimes.. I pull the hand brake, put the car in reverse, n go n tap the light with my fist, lightly, and it lights up again error message gone.

It might help to fix the light problem as it's occurring. For example, if i do the same tap to my light when the car is parked, the error doesn't go away. So if it's a brake light that isn't working when the brake is depressed, have someone press down the brake and see if the tap trick will work for you.

Or try the suggestion NguyenAzn posted... I'll probably try that soon myself because my fix seems to be only temporary.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Replace the bulb if the bulb does not light sometimes as it may have a broken filament that only sometimes does not complete the circuit.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Members

It doesnt tell me which bulb it is, im guessing i have to open it up and check out which bulb it is
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

before you open it up, get someone to press brakes, then switch on the lights, then the foglights, and you will be able to identify which bulb is gone before you dismantle the lights.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by healthservices
Replace the bulb if the bulb does not light sometimes as it may have a broken filament that only sometimes does not complete the circuit.
This happens more times than not - if you find an intermittant bulb failure it may be this or some corrosion on the bulb contact base or in the socket. In the latter case the problem seems to go away after removing and reinstalling the bulb. If this is a problem a more permanent fix is to remove any traces of corrosison with a pencil eraser and use a special bulb dielectric grease to lightly coat the contacts of the bulb to inhibit any further corrosion forming.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Members

Well i opened it and saw one of the bulbs was burnt, so i just replaced it and everything is good. Thank god it wasnt anything big. I also made an appointment with my dealer for the Passenger Rest- Fault error and told them i did research and BMW issued a recall for it, so hopefully they dont give me any problems
Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60525
I also made an appointment with my dealer for the Passenger Rest- Fault error and told them i did research and BMW issued a recall for it, so hopefully they dont give me any problems
I just got mine done and I was told by the dealer that it's actually not a recall, they just extended the warranty to 100k miles for the seat sensor mat.

Quick Reply: "Left Tail Lamp Failure" etc