5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   left the ignition key into the switch (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/left-ignition-key-into-switch-83579/)

vishwen 08-17-2009 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='979442' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:17 PM
mauritius is a tiny island in the middle of nowhere! who's gonna steal his car and get away with it? :lol: 1.3 mil people, but the 7th largest economy in africa! nice....

Hey nice biography of Mauritius by the way you been here before?

vishwen 08-17-2009 11:51 AM

:o :o :o

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='979300' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:44 AM
very strange

theXman 08-17-2009 11:57 AM

I guess your temporary solution is to stop leaving your key in ignition...like everyone else. :lol:

vishwen 08-17-2009 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by theXman' post='979676' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:57 PM
I guess your temporary solution is to stop leaving your key in ignition...like everyone else. :lol:

Thanks

vishwen 08-17-2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='980137' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks

Not really a solution , i got the message again this morning

vishwen 08-18-2009 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='980181' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:39 PM

now i have disconnect the ignition fuse and will wait

v_therussian 08-18-2009 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='980181' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:39 PM

You left the key out of the car completely and the car was locked and the message came up again? That could've been some residual effects from the previous drains.

Look, I know you wanna do things your way and so on, but here's the deal: e60 is wired in a way that the car goes into the true stand by mode (which is the only mode that will prevent battery drain over an extended period) ONLY when the key is out of the car and the car is locked. This happens about 10 minutes after you lock the car. You HAVE to lock the car from the outside when you're not running the engine. Otherwise, you will get a drained battery - this is not a malfunction, this is how IT IS SUPPOSED to be.

I hope I helped.

Rudy 08-18-2009 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='980534' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:14 AM
You left the key out of the car completely and the car was locked and the message came up again? That could've been some residual effects from the previous drains.

Look, I know you wanna do things your way and so on, but here's the deal: e60 is wired in a way that the car goes into the true stand by mode (which is the only mode that will prevent battery drain over an extended period) ONLY when the key is out of the car and the car is locked. This happens about 10 minutes after you lock the car. You HAVE to lock the car from the outside when you're not running the engine. Otherwise, you will get a drained battery - this is not a malfunction, this is how IT IS SUPPOSED to be.

I hope I helped.

I disagree. I don't think that's how it's supposed to be but for some reason, many people believe this to be true. When I had my (non-CA) 2004 car, I always left the key in the ignition while parked in my garage and I never had issues with a low battery and the car always went to sleep properly. It seems as if there's something else wrong with the OP's car since it's still happening to him with the key out of the ignition.

I'll bet there are plenty of people who leave their keys in the ignition while in their garage yet this issue doesn't come up very often so again, I don't think BMW designed the car to act this way...

darkus 08-18-2009 05:17 AM

Im still curious as to why people are leaving the key in the ignition, is it just for lazyness so you get get into your car and drive out the next morning? If so, then if you have to do that, just leave the key on the seat

vishwen 08-18-2009 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='980541' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:28 AM
I disagree. I don't think that's how it's supposed to be but for some reason, many people believe this to be true. When I had my (non-CA) 2004 car, I always left the key in the ignition while parked in my garage and I never had issues with a low battery and the car always went to sleep properly. It seems as if there's something else wrong with the OP's car since it's still happening to him with the key out of the ignition.

I'll bet there are plenty of people who leave their keys in the ignition while in their garage yet this issue doesn't come up very often so again, I don't think BMW designed the car to act this way...

Hi Rudy
thanks for yr info but what is car OP's?

since the dealer could not find anything , the only way is i need to find out what is causing the battery to drain , when i left the car last night the battery voltage was 12.3 (ACM reading) and this morning also is 12.3 but i have the message still this morning.