E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Leaving the car parked for 3.5 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

Probably bit of a quick one; potentially leaving the 535d 2007 model parked at airport over xmas for 3.5 weeks approx. You wouldnt expect the battery to be drained on return?

Thanks
Sukh
Old 10-19-2011, 02:55 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

No, should be fine.

But I WOULD ensure EVERYTHING electrical is turned off, heater motor, auto lights, take out the CD changer, double check the interior and boot lights are off etc.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

I dont know about making sure everthing electronic is off but I have only been driving mine once every two to three weeks for the past 9 months and I have never had a problem with it. When I shut the vehilce off its off. It only turn on if I press the key fob, open the door or trunk. You will be fine. It takes a lot to drain a completely charged battery. A lot more than a couple of small electroics on for a few weeks.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Parked mine for over two weeks in winter the first year I got it. I got the Low Battery warning but it started and ran fine. The warning went away when the battery was charged while running.

Sometimes I leave it in my garage jsut as long without starting it, although it stays unlocked (alarm not on) with the same results I said above.

As long as your battery isn't weak to begin with you should be ok.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka
Parked mine for over two weeks in winter the first year I got it. I got the Low Battery warning but it started and ran fine. The warning went away when the battery was charged while running.

Sometimes I leave it in my garage jsut as long without starting it, although it stays unlocked (alarm not on) with the same results I said above.

As long as your battery isn't weak to begin with you should be ok.
That is the key! Mine was fully charged by the dealer last week and it is already losing time, and the AEs not coming on with unlock. They said my frequent short trips keep the battery from fully charging. Make sure yours is not undercharged, or the extended parking may be enough to do it in.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

I leave my car parked and covered for 2-3 months at a time twice a year with no issues. I also regularly leave it for 1 to 3 weeks on shorter trips...you'll be fine if your battery is halfway decent.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Sublime
I leave my car parked and covered for 2-3 months at a time twice a year with no issues. I also regularly leave it for 1 to 3 weeks on shorter trips...you'll be fine if your battery is halfway decent.
This. The longest I have left mine at the airport was 3 weeks, but realistically, unless your battery can't hold a charge, you should be fine.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by sukh_m
Hello

Probably bit of a quick one; potentially leaving the 535d 2007 model parked at airport over xmas for 3.5 weeks approx. You wouldnt expect the battery to be drained on return?

Thanks
Sukh
I would disconnect the Negative(black) terminal cable.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by syrousd
I would disconnect the Negative(black) terminal cable.
I wouldn't. He said he's going to leave it at the airport. So his alarm will be disabled for almost four weeks, and depending on if he has a trunk finisher or not, he may not even be able to open the trunk with the mechanical key.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I wouldn't. He said he's going to leave it at the airport. So his alarm will be disabled for almost four weeks, and depending on if he has a trunk finisher or not, he may not even be able to open the trunk with the mechanical key.
Good point I was thinking he is leaving it in his garage or something,ooops! Must read the entire thread,lol!

Quick Reply: Leaving the car parked for 3.5 weeks