E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI sports paddle shift is here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I ordered the Sport Auto as well. Can you go into more detail as compared to the Steptronic?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

Very nice car
Old 06-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by wowe' post='438804' date='Jun 22 2007, 03:49 PM
Very nice car
Congrats on the new ride! The sports tranny and its surrounding vicinity just looks sooo much cleaner than the patchwork of the LCI steptronic.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530IA Saphirschwarz, Beige Dakota

Congrats on a lovely car. Hopefully, my car with Sport Auto should arive within a week- but it will be drinking petrol- a 530iA
Old 06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Members

Does the sports shift only come with the big chrome plate surround?

I've ordered black dash with the black gloss trim, but that chrome plate looks a bit harsh, that said, the standard option is a piece of plastic if i remember rightly?

I went through the order quite thoroughly with my dealer as I've put loads of options on yet he didn't even mention the sports auto. I've just checked the BMW web site and I can see it on the car configurator now and it's only a ?70 option, cheaper than car mats!!!!

Think I'll be making a trip to the dealer tomorrow to see if they've got one to look at and compare.

Barry
Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

As others have requested, please give us more information on the transmission -- we're all weeks away from getting our sport autos and you're the first one here to drive one -- how are the throttle blipped downshifts? In sport mode, does it ever upshift by itself? Any and every detail you can think of will be great!

Beautiful car (except that they put the steering wheel on the wrong side!)
Old 06-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Thanks for all your comments.

I'm out all day today (and sadly not in my car!) but will be able to give you a better update in a day or two.

Initial impressions are it's a very smooth box and I'm pretty sure it 'blipped' the throttle on the down shift but the problem is I spent most of the afternoon in a huge traffic jam on the M25 around London travelling very slowly and never really got to drive the car or have a good play!

The stick itself is easy to use. Press the button on the right hand side and either move forward to go into reverse or back to go into drive. Not tried the side 'sports' mode yet so not sure what happens there. The buttons on the wheel seem to be in just the right place and it felt natural to use my thumb to go up and pull towards me to go down. I guess the design is very similar to the M5

I'll have a good play shortly and add more comments

The 8 buttons for the idrive memory are all just under the single CD which can be seen on this photo

Edited to add the following....

The shift through the gears in all my 'old' BMW's even using sports and pushing or pulling the auto stick always happened as it wanted to and almost in a relaxed way.

When I was able to use the paddles yesterday it seemed to shift a significantly faster both up and down the gears and be 'in gear' really smoothly but there instantly. I guess how I would expect an SMG to react but don't forget this is in a diesel and not a petrol and I'm sure the box will be different to cope with both types of engine.

Shame you guys in the States can't have this combo because you get fantastic performance and still return over 30mpg! (even on a bad run with lots of traffic ).
Old 06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='438881' date='Jun 22 2007, 10:57 PM
The shift through the gears in all my 'old' BMW's even using sports and pushing or pulling the auto stick always happened as it wanted to and almost in a relaxed way.

When I was able to use the paddles yesterday it seemed to shift a significantly faster both up and down the gears and be 'in gear' really smoothly but there instantly. I guess how I would expect an SMG to react but don't forget this is in a diesel and not a petrol and I'm sure the box will be different to cope with both types of engine.
Very positive sign!

My car just reached "awaiting transport" status. Reading about the new transmission just adds to the agony of waiting.

Lou
Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='438881' date='Jun 22 2007, 11:57 PM
The buttons on the wheel seem to be in just the right place and it felt natural to use my thumb to go up and pull towards me to go down. I guess the design is very similar to the M5
Are you sure that's how it works? The E60 SMG (non-M) works exactly the opposite way -- thumbs shift down and fingers (pulling toward you) shift up.

(The M5 uses a different setup. On the M, pulling the right paddle shifts up and pulling the left paddle shifts down...)
Old 06-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='438891' date='Jun 23 2007, 06:19 AM
Are you sure that's how it works? The E60 SMG (non-M) works exactly the opposite way -- thumbs shift down and fingers (pulling toward you) shift up.

(The M5 uses a different setup. On the M, pulling the right paddle shifts up and pulling the left paddle shifts down...)
I'll have a play and report back

Quick Reply: LCI sports paddle shift is here!