E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCI with pre-lci bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 528i LCI but it seems like i have pre-lci bulbs?
i have looked at a lot of forums and post regarding the angel eyes. i see a lot of 08 528i but i never once found a matching picture to mine. Everyone seems to have different stock bulbs or connectors.
i cam across some pre-lci angel eye post and the picture that i saw seemed to be identical with the bulbs i have. This doesnt really make any sense to me because i thought the LCI models ran a different type of bulb and i am sure my car is a LCI.

So i just ordered a pair of bulbs a few days ago (still coming in the mail) and was also wondering would they fit. (they seem identical so i purchased them for a low price)

http://www.dtmmotors.com/ebay/jpg/LED/4-BL-E39-1-2.jpg

If im wrong, can anyone please tell me what kind of bulb i need?

heres a pic of my high beam and angel eye bulbs
Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2008 528i. It was built in Feb of 2008. It came with the halogen headlights, not the optional xenon headlights.

My headlights are identical to yours. You do not have "pre-lci bulbs". Your car has the standard (for 528i) halogen headlights.

The high beams and low beams use H7 halogen bulbs.
The angel eyes use a very unique type of bulb. I forget what that bulb type is.

The bulb which you linked to, I believe, is an LED type bulb that will only fit the angel eyes of BMW's equipped with factory xenon headlights. It will not fit your car.

From all I have read there are no alternative bulbs available to change / or brighten the angel eyes on this car with these halogen light assemblies.
If you want to make your angel eyes brighter/whiter the only way available to do it is to physically cut open your headlight unit and perform surgery on it and change out the angel eye rings to a special set of angel eye rings sold by John at Motorcepts (he's a member of this forum). You can remove your headlight units from your car and send them off to him and he will do this for you. I believe he charges about $250.00 to do this.

If you are wanting to change the look of the headlight bulbs themselves, you can try "whiter bulbs" like Philips CrystalVision Ulra or Sylvania Silverstar. I have read very mixed reviews about these. The consensus is these bulbs will generally put out less usable light than standard H7 (measured in lumens) because they have blue coatings on them to make the light output whiter. They also may produce more glare for oncoming drivers.

For your low beams the only truly effective way to get brighter headlights (more lumens and whiter) on your car is to get an HID kit with xenon bulbs, ballasts and error cancellers to replace the H7 bulbs in your low beams. I did this a few months ago on my car with a "Morimoto H7" kit from The Retrofit Source. When instlled on the low beam projector headlights in our cars the difference in light output is tremendous. I hghly recommend this option, particularly with a 4300K xenon bulb. The headlights on my car now look and perform like the xenon headlights that came from the factory (minus the cornering and self-leveling features of course).

For high beams the only possiblility is try the "whiter" H7 bulbs mentioned above. You should not install an HID kit in the high beams on our cars. They will only cause exteme glare and scatter the light all over. This is becuse the high beams just use simple reflectors and cannot handle and focus the light ourput from an HID bulb properly.