E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI PDC sensors on pre-LCI

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i 6spd sport Sapphire black...well satin white wrap

Does anyone know if I can use LCI PDC sensors on my 5/05 built 545i? I received a body kit from Umnitza last week, but it has the smaller LCI sensor holes. Instead of cutting
up the bumpers, I'd like to use the LCI PDC if possible.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Members

Also, will the PDC sensors work after applying a vinyl wrap over them?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Motorcitym3
Also, will the PDC sensors work after applying a vinyl wrap over them?

The sensors will need to remain uncovered to work. The pre-LCI are not the same as the LCI parts. At least the part numbers are not the same. One is for the E60 and the other is the E60N. You could always go to the dealer and ask to see two of the parts side by side.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No the LCI PDC sensor will not fit an Pre-LCI andy by covering them up with vinyl they won't work.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PDC will have to be removed when wrapping the car and placed back in after the wrap.

Based on your signature you have PDC. You could try taking off your bumper and do a little trial/error with the new PDC. I guess that all depends if you already purchased the new PDC.

BTW, did you wrap your car yourself? It is looking great so far.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 AM
Members

My main concern is whether or not the newer smaller sensors will plug into the existing wiring harness and function properly.

If I can't wrap the sensors, can I paint them? My pre-lci large sensors are black and I have an option to buy the smaller lci sensor that are gray. Before I buy the lci sensors I need the know if they are plug and play. With wrapping the car in white, I think I'll need to change the color regardless which one I go with.

As far as the wrap, Umichchris on the forum has been doing the wrap. Gotta love
meeting local members and working together to mod our babies!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

My main concern is whether or not the newer smaller sensors will plug into the existing wiring harness and function properly.
Well, the wiring diagram shows that it's the same connector for both pre-LCI and LCI: B030047a. This is a three wire sensor. As for the mounting and sensor size you should go to the parts counter and ask to see one of each. The picture below is the pre-LCI (one of my busted PDC sensors).

If I can't wrap the sensors, can I paint them? My pre-lci large sensors are black and I have an option to buy the smaller lci sensor that are gray. Before I buy the lci sensors I need the know if they are plug and play. With wrapping the car in white, I think I'll need to change the color regardless which one I go with.
You can wrap/paint the painted part of the senor but do not cover the gap - that's where the senor sends/receives the echo... Do not get any crap in the gap (like paint). You cannot disassemble the sensor with out breaking it because the transceiver is placed in a closed cell foam - the wires will break.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traitorous8/6480384107/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/traitorous8/6480383653/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/traitorous8/6480382677/
Old 01-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Members

Thanks...Ha, I broke one of mine the same way BALLZ!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

You should not paint the sensors (direct info from a tech and a paint shop/body shop we use locally). How true this is probably depends on who you talk to.
You can either enlarge the hole (easy to do) and mount the existing sensors you have or
You can remove the small donut surrounding the PDC.

LCI and Pre-LCI sensors - other than the size - are exactly the same, they plug in the same way, they function the same way. If you need any advice, our body shop is always available to help.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Originally Posted by umnitza
You should not paint the sensors (direct info from a tech and a paint shop/body shop we use locally). How true this is probably depends on who you talk to.
You can either enlarge the hole (easy to do) and mount the existing sensors you have or
You can remove the small donut surrounding the PDC.

LCI and Pre-LCI sensors - other than the size - are exactly the same, they plug in the same way, they function the same way. If you need any advice, our body shop is always available to help.
Yeah according to Umnitza

Sure we have the pre lci bumper in stock!
Get the bumper from them weeks later and.... Its an LCI bumper!
Owner Matt tells me just take the outside of the sensor off, guess what they break and whose gonna pay for that sensor?
Owner sends me new PDC holders and says a body shop can put them in. And who should pay for this me? Because you people sent me the wrong bumper and don't have the Pre Lci in stock
Whole process took a couple months at the end I wanted to just return the bumper and Matt said no you've had it for months (its brand new in the box never installed or painted)

So more or less stay away!

Ordered a new bumper from Trinity here in 4 days! And when they said they had it in stock they actually did! WOW!

Quick Reply: LCI PDC sensors on pre-LCI