E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI E60 - heated washer jets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi Monaco Blue Dark Burl Walnut Black Leather Comfort Package Sports Package Cold Weather Package Nav Logic 7 18" Sport Wheels Xenon Interior and License Plate Light Upgrade

Make sure you never run the reservoir dry... This can pump particulate, which resides at the bottom of the fluid tank, through the hoses and clog them up...

Not saying you did this, but I did on my previous car and it was a pain to fix...
Old 12-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI 523i SE Jet Black Auto - 01/09/2007 - Logic 7 - Visibility Package - Sports Steering Wheel - Sports Seats - Interior Lights Package - Airbags Side Rear - Space Saver Spare Wheel - High Gloss Black interior - Professional Radio CD - USB Interface - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load System

Russ,
LCI definitely has heated jets, mine were working fine at approx -5 C last night.
If only all my injectors were working just as well but that's another story!
HTH
Terry
Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributors

Thanks all. Whilst the car is in I will ask them to see if they can fix two annoying rattles ... one from the rear parcel shelf and one from the drivers seat belt. It's rattling inside the mechanism on the door pillar. I've also noticed the occasional rattle coming from the steering column, and another around the iDrive. The one on the steering column and iDrive/dash can be cured by just giving it sort of a "hard shove", but I get the feeling this car is not as well put together as my non-LCI E60. Never had a single rattle from the two previous E60's, this one I am up to number 4 - plus the squeaky brakes (that had to be replaced) ! add all that to the washer jets and although these are all minor things, this certainly is one buggy car.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='507627' date='Dec 17 2007, 08:24 AM
I get through a lot of washer fluid ... it gets topped up probably once every 2 weeks. But the car is only a few months old. However, we _always_ use proper fluid (with built in anti freeze), dilluted to the correct proportion.

The pipes weren't frozen as water was dribbling out the end. The nozzles themselves were quite clearly covered in visible ice.
Well that's the answer I expected but I had to ask!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI 523i SE Jet Black Auto - 01/09/2007 - Logic 7 - Visibility Package - Sports Steering Wheel - Sports Seats - Interior Lights Package - Airbags Side Rear - Space Saver Spare Wheel - High Gloss Black interior - Professional Radio CD - USB Interface - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load System

Russ,
on my LCI 523i the washer jets are heated, they worked fine at -5C last night (and then the water froze on the colder parts of the screen )
HTH
Terry
Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by terrymac' post='507729' date='Dec 17 2007, 12:22 PM
Russ,
on my LCI 523i the washer jets are heated, they worked fine at -5C last night (and then the water froze on the colder parts of the screen )
HTH
Terry
Thanks Terry - being just a couple of miles down the road, I know that you experienced exactly the same weather, so that's a good comparison! Like you say, previous cars (including the last two E60's), in the winter, you can spray the water and it freezes on the window - that's what really made me think something was working right !!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Members

Hi there,

I have the same problem periodically.....discovered that the pipe leading from the reservoir (which is conveniently located in the wheel arch on the passenger side - how thoughtful! ) had become clogged. There is a small white plastic in-line filter which sits in the pipe - ostensibly to prevent grit blocking the jets themselves, which had become clogged with black gundge.

To get at the filter you need to remove the wheel, remove the lining in the wheel arch and then prise out the smaller of the 2 pumps on the reservoir (the larger is for the headlamp washers). The filter will either come out on the end of the pump the sits in the reservoir or remain stuck in the reservoir. Either way, get the filter out and give it a good clean and then reassemble it all and your jets will work again.

Take note that as soon as you remove the pump, the entire contents of the water reservoir will come pouring out

Ideally I want to be able to flush the reservoir to remove all of this grime that seems to regularly clog up the filter, but I have yet to work out how to acheive that.