E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI Autobox

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear all,

I have a 2007 ('57) 525d M Sport Auto and it is awesome. It's by far and a way the best car I've owned and it just seems to get better and better as the miles pile on overall. It looks stunning with the kit and is a joy to behold!!

However, something strange has started happening and the 25s trick does not improve it!!

If the car has been standing for more than 24-36 hours, I start her up, engage D and press the throttle....nothing happens other than the rev's rise!! The car is in D and very slowly the pressure builds and she moves. It's like the car is in Neutral.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is it normal for the torque converter to take up 5 or 10 seconds to "build" up the pressure?????

On another note, I also get a shunt sometimes when stopping at lights for more than 10-15seconds, taking my foot off the brake and applying the accelerator when the traffic lights go green, especially downhill. Sometimes the jolt is quite hard. Again is this normal??? It's like the car engages gear too late!!

Any help would be great. The car still has over 12 months manufacturers warranty, so I'm comfortable and all that but just wanted to know if anyone else has this and what has been don to fix it.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:09 AM
Members

No one?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='988112' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:22 PM
Dear all,

I have a 2007 ('57) 525d M Sport Auto and it is awesome. It's by far and a way the best car I've owned and it just seems to get better and better as the miles pile on overall. It looks stunning with the kit and is a joy to behold!!

However, something strange has started happening and the 25s trick does not improve it!!

If the car has been standing for more than 24-36 hours, I start her up, engage D and press the throttle....nothing happens other than the rev's rise!! The car is in D and very slowly the pressure builds and she moves. It's like the car is in Neutral.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is it normal for the torque converter to take up 5 or 10 seconds to "build" up the pressure?????

On another note, I also get a shunt sometimes when stopping at lights for more than 10-15seconds, taking my foot off the brake and applying the accelerator when the traffic lights go green, especially downhill. Sometimes the jolt is quite hard. Again is this normal??? It's like the car engages gear too late!!

Any help would be great. The car still has over 12 months manufacturers warranty, so I'm comfortable and all that but just wanted to know if anyone else has this and what has been don to fix it.
You have a transmission problem. I have a LCI Step (same internal parts as SAT) and there is no "torque converter delay" before my car goes. When I shift into D (or more likely in my case, DS or Manual Mode), the transmission engages immediately with no delays.

As far as the jolting problem you also describe, that may be the dreaded "transmission slam" that seems to plague many E60s with auto trans. Use the search function here to find the many threads and posts discussing "transmission slam".

GL bro.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Members

Possibly, but my slam is when I take off. Not when I'm about to stop....

I'be booked her in now for diagnosis and will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='990165' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:15 AM
Possibly, but my slam is when I take off. Not when I'm about to stop....

I'be booked her in now for diagnosis and will keep everyone posted.
My slam happened when I took off, especially if I took off while the car was still rolling from slowing down. A tranny replacement (under warranty) fixed the problems and so far it's smooth as silk (knock on wood).
Old 08-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='988112' date='Aug 25 2009, 05:22 PM
Similar thing happens to my 08 525D but only when I engage R. The revs rise , the car goes nowhere. I look down to see if I left the 'box in Neutral, no it is definitely in R, press on the accelerator and away we go backwards. Strange but true !
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i w/ sport package: bone stock :( 2006 Yamaha R-6exy Raven: Fully Loaded Track weapon 2004 Ducati 749 Testaretta: Fully Loaded two other family cars that I dont care to mention, lol!

This has started to happen to me aswell... My car is acting up and I cannot determine what it is.. a few things that happen. Only in the morning this happens, but once the car is warmed up it goes away... very weird.

In the morning... put the car in "R" and it feels like its going then stops like its in "N", I have to put it in "P" a few times then the R starts to work.

If I come to a stop and not completeley stop and just go, the car starts off like I am pressing the gas full throttle

When I am driving on the highway in 6 gear, about every 3 minutes or so the rev's wind up then come back down (weird).

When I am at a stop, go full throttle, the car gets stuck in first or second gear and does not want to shift until I let off the gas pedal...

Oh yah sometimes the tranmission fault comes on, then I have to pull over and restart the car.

Does anyone know what this could be? to me it sounds more like a computer problem or throttle problem, not a tranny problem. but I am not a mechanic so... if anyone can help with this that would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Will
Old 09-15-2009, 12:03 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

May not be appropriate to you, but if the car has been standing in damp conditions, the brakes can bind a little due to corrosion, so the resistance when trying to move off is enough to stop the car moving until the power builds up, the transmission detects the resistance just like on a hill start so feeds the power to the wheels very slowly.

Try turning off the traction control before you move see if that makes a difference.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:18 AM
nmc
Members

My Ride: On order 530D Platinum Bronze/Natural Brown Comfort seats,sunroof,PDC, Nav pro,Aux In,Xenons, Alarm, tinted glass. ETD 27.06.07

I experienced the same problem before my autobox refused to go into drive, although my first movement is always reverse. The end result - a replacement auto box control unit. Worthwhile getting it into the dealer sooner rather than later.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Members

Software Update and Voila, much better!! Will see how it goes...

Quick Reply: LCI Autobox