E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI 525d Injector Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

I haven't been contaced by my dealer but had a recent conversation with e60Scotland from this board who also has a LCI 525d and has been recalled for replacement injectors which have now been fitted.

I'm trying to establish what the cause for the recall is as my car drives perfectly (touch wood.....) and I don't want to have it messed with if I can help it unless it's a safety related issue.

I guess I want to understand if the recall is a general one or batch related to a certain production period, which may explain why mine hasn't been recalled as mine is a month or so newer than e60Scotland's I believe.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

AFAIK such recalls are targeted and directly related to production details. If a recall doesn't apply to your VIN, you won't get a recall.

The rest is up to you. If you determine that it's NOT a safety issue and the car is behaving perfectly then you could take the risk.

The way I look at it is that manufacturer's dont want to spend any more than they have to affecting their bottom line so there must be a "pressing" reason for it...

ABC
Old 07-18-2007, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='449238' date='Jul 18 2007, 01:39 PM
AFAIK such recalls are targeted and directly related to production details. If a recall doesn't apply to your VIN, you won't get a recall.

The rest is up to you. If you determine that it's NOT a safety issue and the car is behaving perfectly then you could take the risk.

The way I look at it is that manufacturer's dont want to spend any more than they have to affecting their bottom line so there must be a "pressing" reason for it...

ABC
How are recalls usually issued then by BMW? Excuse my ignornace, this is my first one. If the recall doesn't effect my cars production period then fine. If it does then I will have to have the injectors changed. Just interested as I haven't heard this discussed on this board (unlike the injector issue effecting some of the petrol models) and just wanted to gain more info as to the actual cause of the recall. As stated no running problems with mine todate - Oh I do hate saying that cos that does seem like tempting fate.....
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Members

Owners for recalls are supposed to be sourced via dvla information however a recent recall for my car (not a BMW :thumbsdown: ) did not get through to me and I only found out the problem when the part failed! Still saved me ?800 that I was going to have to shell out if it hadn't been a recall issue.

... and yes recalls are almost always related to a safety issue of some nature.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='449234' date='Jul 18 2007, 01:15 PM
I haven't been contaced by my dealer but had a recent conversation with e60Scotland from this board who also has a LCI 525d and has been recalled for replacement injectors which have now been fitted.

I'm trying to establish what the cause for the recall is as my car drives perfectly (touch wood.....) and I don't want to have it messed with if I can help it unless it's a safety related issue.

I guess I want to understand if the recall is a general one or batch related to a certain production period, which may explain why mine hasn't been recalled as mine is a month or so newer than e60Scotland's I believe.

Any help is appreciated!
Recalls, you would receive notification from your dealer (UK.)

Here are two example ?recalls? on my e60 in last 12 months ?:

1.Optical steering angle switch (sensor) - recall notified via letter from dealer headed ?Technical Campaign 0061510200: Optical steering element in switch cluster? ? Quality monitoring noted regular part failure in use - the recall was to make arrangements for check and replacement of the part(s) ? evidently a new design was made for the replacement parts and affected cars were recalled for check and replacement as required ? as to safety issues here, not mentioned - the recall was made due to the part failure, perhaps similar to the injector problem?

2.Suspension bush failure ? letter headed ?Safety Recall Procedure: Replace rear shock absorbers? Quality monitoring had picked up failure of a bush (mfg. batch related) - recall was notified via dealer to arrange an inspection ASAP to determine whether the parts required replacing on my e60, dependent on mileage and condition, as to whether replacement was required (in my case they were replaced) ? this was a safety recall as failure of the part would cause suspension failure resulting in wheel(s) contacting the body/chassis! Enough said......................

Hence as you?d expect there are different categories of recall - suggest you contact your dealer, or perhaps go direct to BMWUK - as ABC stated recalls are targeted. (In my experience/opinion BMW are on the ball with their recall campaigns.)
Old 07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Thanks everyone for the comments / advice.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere that 'recalls' are listed e.g. a BMW website somewhere? If not does anyone on this board have access to the latest recall bulletins?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

Update

Thought I would give an update as this may benefit others. I have been speaking to my local dealer today and it appears that the diesel injector recall is only for a specific batch and certainly does not apply to all LCI diesels. I'm guessing that this must have affected the very first LCI's, as mine was delivered @ the end of April and is not affected.

It was also not clear to me whether this affects just the 525d or other diesels in the range?