E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch Control with SMG question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I thought Launch Control on a SMG car was a maximized acceleration program. You really need technique, I guess, because when I have tried it it just smokes the tires. Anybody have better luck or suggestions.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

That's why BMW recommends not using it too often.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:49 PM
JDN
Contributors

But Dunlop is all for it.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 10 2004, 11:49 PM
But Dunlop is all for it.
Haha, : "Launch Control, brought to you in conjunction with Dunlop".

I can see the pre-launch messages in i-drive now
Old 08-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Hey pennetta, how about an mpeg?

JDN: Good one!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I always thought the car would give optimum accelaration with launch control without smoking the tires.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

That is maximum acceleration. If DSC or DTC would be active the car would not smoke the tires, but what start waaaay slower, since the systems holds back the energy, so that the tires are not getting smoked. Acceleration wise it is the maximum with launch control, since once the tires have enough grip to move the car forward... well... you'll feel it...
Old 08-11-2004, 04:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Do us stepowners have a similar option???
I have a friend who owns a very old american car. He puts the car in neutral, revs the engine and drops it in D. Okay, you get big burnouts but I can almost feel the pain in the automatic transmission.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Didn't doing that void the warranty on some of the E46 m3's if activated a certain number of times (at least that was the scuttlebutt) over in europe..... in the US... laws mandated that such a stipulation could not be made and dealers just downplayed the fact that such a function exist.........
Old 08-11-2004, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The guy doing the "Neutral Drop" with the Steptronic will void his warranty. A SMG transmission is a manual transmission with a clutch.

With SMG, the clutch actuation is controlled electronically and usually enagages around 1800 rpm. The Steptronic is an automatic transmission that has a torque converter and all the hydro plumbing/gearing that goes along with it and functions in the normal automatic transmission way.

Since the SMG is a manual transmission and has a real clutch, BMW programed a more aggressive clutch engagement wihich deploys at 4500 rpm. Its described in the Owners Manual and does not cancel your warranty. It says that utilizing it to much can cause increased wear. Tires and Clutch are the most obvious but if you get really obsessed it should also increase transmission wear.

Quick Reply: Launch Control with SMG question