E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Latest word - Sirius install with 2004 Nav cars...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Based on the success of "Rob's" Sirius retrofit in this thread, I called BMWNA a few minutes ago and "Greg" told me the following information:

Cars with a production date of July 2003 and later that have satellite prep are able to get Sirius installed!

As much as we've heard conflicting information over the past few months, I'm pretty confident that this problem is now solved (based on the fact that Rob now has it and someone else on RF claims he has it.) I know that this is good news for many people but I'm sure it will piss off the ones that tried to get prep in March of 2004 and were told they couldn't get it. That could be a big boo boo for BMW!

I just hung up with the parts manager at my dealership. He's going to call me back soon to confirm that he was able to order the needed parts so I can schedule an appointment.

Will keep you posted...
Old 01-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

The parts guy called me, we're good to go. He also entered my VIN into the system (like Greg from BMWNA did) and confirmed that I can get this installed.

The parts are all the same, no special anything hardware-wise to do the job. He did mention that a newer version of software is needed to make it work but he was unable to tell me the minimum version number.

I guess that confirms that there isn't a problem with the prep wiring as was speculated earlier. They seemed to have solved it with software -- given BMW's reputation for outstanding, bug free software updates, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!

I'm scheduled on 1/11 and 1/12 to get this (as well as some other things) done. Can you tell I'm a little pumped?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Congrats!!! Let's hope everything works out perfectly!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 3 2005, 09:32 AM
The parts guy called me, we're good to go.? He also entered my VIN into the system (like Greg from BMWNA did) and confirmed that I can get this installed.

The parts are all the same, no special anything hardware wise to do the job.? He did mention that a newer version of software is needed to make it work but he was unable to tell me the minimum version number.

I guess that confirms that there isn't a problem with the prep wiring as was speculated earlier.? They seemed to have solved it with software -- given BMW's reputation for outstanding, bug free software updates, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!?

I'm scheduled on 1/11 and 1/12 to get this (as well as some other things) done.? Can you tell I'm a little pumped?
[snapback]75035[/snapback]
Rudy, are you saying that no prep, no sirius?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jtp1947' date='Jan 3 2005, 11:41 AM
Rudy, are you saying that no prep, no sirius?
[snapback]75038[/snapback]
That's what "Greg" at BMWNA told me. I think the smartest thing you can do is to call them with the last 6 digits of your VIN and confirm things directly. They're really easy to get a hold of.

I'll be interested in hearing how they're going to handle the customers who wanted prep but were told they couldn't get it back in March or April of 2004...
Old 01-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Rob
Members

Great news, Rudy! I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine. Siruis is very cool.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

As long as it works, I'll be happy. I used Sirius for around two years now on other cars. I already know it's cool, that's why I've been patiently waiting since ordering my car in November of 2003 to get it!!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

Well, if BMW says that all cars except those without Sat Prep can now get Sat installed, then they are a bunch of jerks. Because they forced many of us to UN-ORDER our cars with the SAT PREP feature as of March of 04.

In fact, if you read this attachment below, you can see that they would not produce the car with SAT PREP as of March, and they stated that software would fix the issue, making it clear that a hardware issue was not needed anymore as of that date.
Attached Thumbnails Latest word - Sirius install with 2004 Nav cars...-siriusbmw.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
siriusBMW.bmp (693.4 KB, 90 views)
Old 01-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

I just spoke w/ "Jared" from BMWNA. He said my 07/04 build is not upgradeble since I do not have prep.

I told him that prep was not an ordereable option in 07/04. He "checked" and told me SAT prep was never taken away as an ordereble option, only the ability to order the SAT radio itself.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicknec' date='Jan 3 2005, 02:00 PM
I just spoke w/ "Jared" from BMWNA. He said my 07/04 build is not upgradeble since I do not have prep.

I told him that prep was not an ordereable option in 07/04. He "checked" and told me SAT prep was never taken away as an ordereble option, only the ability to order the SAT radio itself.
[snapback]75069[/snapback]
Tell Jared to look at the attachment that I just posted, or better yet, e-mail it to him. What he said is clearly FALSE as per BMWNA themselves in their own documentation that they sent to my dealer and me!

Quick Reply: Latest word - Sirius install with 2004 Nav cars...