E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest Spec and Idrive

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M-Sport. 19" Wheels. Pro Nav. Logic 7. BT. Dakota.

I have been a big fan of E60.net and so I thought I would join and add some info to see if I could satisfy the need for info of prospective and current E60/61 owners.

I have just got my ride. A 520d M Sport with some good options.

Bluetooth.
Firstly I want people to know that Windows Mobile 5.1 on PDA type phones works great with the Bluetooth. I actually tried that jetmobile software originally, thinking I would need it, but I could not pick up a call. So i uninstalled it and the basic phone software works just fine. Full address transfer, pick up, voice control, shortcut keys, hang up, mute all work fine. I'm not sure how much more compatibility is possible that much is ok by me.

iDrive.
Mainly about the DVD-Rom drive. I didn't know that I could put mp3 DVD's in this drive and listen to them! Really happy when I found out. I went out to buy a lightscribe DVD writer straight away - and label me up some DVD's with 20 cd's worth on each. It shows Album title, Track title and Artist on the display. You cannot program new destinations in sat nav whilst an mp3 disk is in, but you can program a route and then take the disk out. Obviously the CD-Rom drive does the same but with much less data.

iPOD.
I am waiting for the release of the Dension Gateway 500 like everyone else. I have subscribed to email alerts on this. I hope its under ?300 GBP. Should be the business and I can leave my NAV DVD in the slot!

Free Option.
I am not sure if i missed something when I ordered my car, but I have front parking sensors and I did not specify them. Obviously - I am happy to have them!

Run Flats.
I spec'd the 19" wheels with my car. There was some confusion withe my dealer, websites, forums etc over these wheels and the tires they have on them. The ones I have are NOT run-flat, I do have a spare tire in the trunk. Standard fit in the UK is Continental. Car does have pressure monitor too.

Ride quality.
One of the most impressive things to me is the ride quality. It has M-Tech suspension and Low profile tires yet the ride quality is very nice considering how well it goes round corners. So if you were staying away from an M Sport or the 19" wheels - don't, have both you will be happy with it.

Please respond with further questions about anything. I am happy to reply when I am online. UK time remember.

Tony
Old 10-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d SE Touring Silver Grey / Beige Dakota Media Pack (Pro Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Cd Changer, BMW Assist) Visibility Pack (Bi Xenons, Hedlight wash, Adaptive headlights)

I'm fairly sure all 5'ers have front and rear PDC as standard; certainly I didn't spec it as an option in my current 535d, or the 525d it replaced

Peter
Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 AM
sos
Members

Front and Rear PDC is standard on UK spec cars.

Sounds nice though!! Glad you're pleased with it.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Members

Hi
Thanks for the information, I am due to get mine a week on Thursday, can't wait!!!

A quick question, what Windows Mobile 5 phone are you using? I have got a Nokia E50 on test and tested it at the dealers today with a PDI car and neither I or the dealer could get it to pair. I need an email phone but don't like Blackberry's.

What spec have you got, is it an auto? If it is how are you finding it?
Cheers
Old 10-23-2006, 11:15 AM
sos
Members

I'm using a Nokia 6233, works perfectly, not tried it with a Windows Mobile phone.

Wait until you try the phone in the new car before worrying. It will have the latest software on it, so you never know.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 520DA' post='348012' date='Oct 23 2006, 08:11 PM
Hi
Thanks for the information, I am due to get mine a week on Thursday, can't wait!!!

A quick question, what Windows Mobile 5 phone are you using? I have got a Nokia E50 on test and tested it at the dealers today with a PDI car and neither I or the dealer could get it to pair. I need an email phone but don't like Blackberry's.

What spec have you got, is it an auto? If it is how are you finding it?
Cheers
Its not an Auto, its 6 speed man.
The phone is an O2 XDA Mini S, also known as an Imate Kjam or something or HTC 9100. Its running the latest update called AKU 2 or something (takes it from ver 5.0 to 5.1). It has the facility to provide instant email like Blackberry by keeping an http session going. I just set it to sync every 15 mins. Sync's with an MS Exchang server.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Members

thanks for that. I have looked at that phone you have and it looks pretty good. If it does what you say I'm having it.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Members

Good advice SOS, Im sure the software is getting better by the week.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turner001' post='348003' date='Oct 23 2006, 03:01 PM
iPOD.
I am waiting for the release of the Dension Gateway 500 like everyone else. I have subscribed to email alerts on this. I hope its under ?300 GBP. Should be the business and I can leave my NAV DVD in the slot!
Why are you waiting on the Dension? Why not the BMW MOST Bus interface that's available now?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='348039' date='Oct 23 2006, 09:10 PM
Why are you waiting on the Dension? Why not the BMW MOST Bus interface that's available now?
Tell me about it please. I thought Dension was the only company doing a MOST inteface.

Does it do all iPOD screens like the dension should or is it a Playlist/CD changer mock up like the older ICE link thingy.

Quick Reply: Latest Spec and Idrive